I'm the nut who just bought the Theatre of Magic on ebay

Hi all!
Didn't think it would happen...but just bot my second pin.
First is Revenge from Mars, which was my wife and mine favorite pin
when we were dating.
TOM was my favorite pin when I lived in California and used to go to
the bowling alley and play it all night long.
The price seemed right, he's got wow feedback, and will deliver and set
up this week.
I will let you know how it goes!
Thanks for your quick responses to my questions -
Chris aka Meatball
22 answers Last reply
More about bought theatre magic ebay

    Enjoy your New Game !!1 I have TOM & Love mine !!!

    Pin-Del,

    Meatball wrote:

    > The price seemed right, he's got wow feedback, and will deliver and set
    > up this week.
    > I will let you know how it goes!

    Chris, are you planning to pay the seller before he actually delivers
    and sets up the game for you? If the auction below is the game that
    you bought, you really should google this group for "Barry White"
    before you do.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6185194304

    I will keep you posted as the week progresses!
    The Barry posts I saw were over 2 years old?
    Anyone have any recent experience with him?

    I would pop over and see the machine before he delivers it. That way,
    if anything looks funny you can get it fixed before the machine comes
    to stay.

    The problem is, a shop job for an operator and a shop job for a
    collector mean entirely different things.

    > "Barry White"

    He's dead...although I heard he could play a mean game of pinball when
    he was alive. "Ohhhhhh Baby. Extra Ball!"

    Barry - NY

    Meatball wrote:

    > The Barry posts I saw were over 2 years old?
    > Anyone have any recent experience with him?

    A person's character generally doesn't change very much over a two-year
    period, or even over a lifetime. Now, if Barry had had a communicable
    disease like whooping cough two years ago, I could see where you
    wouldn't be overly concerned now.

    - Josh A.

    Parole Board Member #1: They've got a name for people like you H.I.
    That name is called "recidivist."
    Parole Board Member #2: Repeat offender!
    Parole Board Member #1: Not a pretty name, is it H.I.?
    H.I.: No sir. That's one bonehead name, but that ain't me no mo'.

    I had a bad experience with barry five years ago. No follow up, no
    help, just give me my money and get lost kind of attitude. Buying a
    machine with no pictures is pretty scary. I would agree with the group
    here, go with cash in hand and don't part with it unless you like the
    machine. Who knows, it might be a nice machine, but chances are good
    you won't be happy.

    Mike

    What I don't get is how he has such a spectacular e-bay rating if his
    machines are so bad.

    My wife almost bought me my first (and so far only) machine from one of
    his auctions based on his rating and all the great comments. I had her
    cancel the auction to give me time to do some reasearch into this
    hobby.

    I ended up getting a ToM from JohnnyPinBall about 2 months ago. I love
    the game and so does my wife and daughter. You'll love it if it's in
    good shape.

    Mark

    I have a friend who bought a Data East Star Wars from Barry about 6
    weeks ago. The game was in very good condition and he got it for a
    very fair price.

    Before he bid, he contacted Barry about the condition of the game.
    Barry told him it was in very good shape and that if he didn't like the
    game after he bought it, he wouldn't have to take it. He won the
    auction with the "Buy it Now", and went and took a look at the game.
    He was very satisfied when he inspected it, paid cash and took the game
    home.

    All in all, a good transaction.

    Meatball, I hope you have a good transaction as well!

    Ken in Princeton
    TZ, STTNG, IJ & MM

    Hi Mark,

    A couple of years ago I went the same way, feedback looked good so I
    bought (actually 2) machines from Barrywnj. I'm sorry to say that
    given what I know know now, the machines were not in good condition. I
    had to invest quite a few dollars on each one to bring them up to par.
    Ex: Bad DMDs, badly damaged cabs, terrible fade, burned connectors,
    rusted lamp sockets, MOST importantly the machines were NOT the ones
    seen in the pics advertised. They did usually "work" as described.
    The playfields were cleaned (in the visible areas) and had replaced
    rubbers. I'm still saving my email from 2 years ago where he promised
    me $100 bucks off on my next pin purchase from him because of the
    problems with the machine... yeah right... I still have the email but
    ain't plannin' on another machine from him.

    The advise you see here very good. Go see the machine before it's
    delivered if possible. Once in your house I'm sure it will be much
    harder to say "take it back". I could be wrong and I hope you get a
    great TOM, I'd love one myself. Let us know how it goes. (GOOD I
    HOPE!)

    - Don

    MarkMJ wrote:
    > What I don't get is how he has such a spectacular e-bay rating if his
    > machines are so bad.
    >
    > My wife almost bought me my first (and so far only) machine from one of
    > his auctions based on his rating and all the great comments. I had her
    > cancel the auction to give me time to do some reasearch into this
    > hobby.
    >
    > I ended up getting a ToM from JohnnyPinBall about 2 months ago. I love
    > the game and so does my wife and daughter. You'll love it if it's in
    > good shape.
    >
    > Mark

    If it is, go and pick it up. Play it to see if it actually works. If
    it does not match the description, don't take it!

    Just ask Otto about ol' BarryWNJ. Oh wait, don't it will just piss him
    off all over again...

    John!

    Josh A. wrote:
    > Meatball wrote:
    >

    >>The price seemed right, he's got wow feedback, and will deliver and set
    >>up this week.
    >>I will let you know how it goes!
    >

    > Chris, are you planning to pay the seller before he actually delivers
    > and sets up the game for you? If the auction below is the game that
    > you bought, you really should google this group for "Barry White"
    > before you do.
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6185194304

    Oh noooes! Not barrywjn!

    On 13 Jun 2005 15:48:12 -0700, "Josh A." <josh489@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Meatball wrote:
    >
    >> The price seemed right, he's got wow feedback, and will deliver and set
    >> up this week.
    >> I will let you know how it goes!
    >
    >Chris, are you planning to pay the seller before he actually delivers
    >and sets up the game for you? If the auction below is the game that
    >you bought, you really should google this group for "Barry White"
    >before you do.
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6185194304

    On 13 Jun 2005 15:48:12 -0700, "Josh A." <josh489@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Meatball wrote:
    >
    >> The price seemed right, he's got wow feedback, and will deliver and set
    >> up this week.
    >> I will let you know how it goes!
    >
    >Chris, are you planning to pay the seller before he actually delivers
    >and sets up the game for you? If the auction below is the game that
    >you bought, you really should google this group for "Barry White"
    >before you do.
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6185194304

    Especially if it was bought without actual pictures.

    I would be very careful here.

    I would not recommend transacting any funds until you see the machine and
    are happy with it's condition.

    Best of luck and I hope it works out for you.

    Otto

    CARGPB11

    Forget about the fact that it is Barry, there werent even any pictures of
    the machine! (not that his pictures would have been of the ACTUAL machine)

    You are nuts. ;-)

    Same thing happened to me. He fuzzucked me on a White Water. Bullet holes
    through the coin door, every plastic on the machine broken. He did not ship
    me the game in the pictures. He is scum. If it is a local deal, great, you
    don't risk the same thing someone requiring shipping might lose. I would
    avoid this guy like the plague he is unless you can see the game before
    paying for it.

    "MarkMJ" <markmj000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What I don't get is how he has such a spectacular e-bay rating if his
    > machines are so bad.

    Because nobody apparently wants a retaliatory negative feedback.
    That's why eBay's feedback "system" sure isn't too useful.

    > My wife almost bought me my first (and so far only) machine from one of
    > his auctions based on his rating and all the great comments. I had her
    > cancel the auction to give me time to do some reasearch into this
    > hobby.
    >
    > I ended up getting a ToM from JohnnyPinBall about 2 months ago. I love
    > the game and so does my wife and daughter. You'll love it if it's in
    > good shape.
    >
    > Mark

    Thanks Bob but I am happy to say that luckily that story isn't about
    me. I just found it when searching for info on this bloke on RGP.
    Admittedly it is only one person's view of the events that transpired
    but it is a pretty detailed account and I think the photos speak for
    themselves. Can you answer this for me though; if you pay for an item
    and then find out it is not "as described" before delivery should you
    accept delivery of the goods? I ask because I was always told (in
    Australia anyway) that if I do a job for someone and say I charge them
    $1500 for my services, I should not bank any "part" payments. So if
    they send me a cheque for $1000 I should hang on to it until the other
    $500 is paid to me. Apparently the reason for this is that they can say
    I accepted the $1000 as full payment and so I thought that if you
    accept delivery of the substandard goods you are saying you accept the
    goods as they are. This of course is based on that you know that the
    goods are not up to scratch before they are delivered.

    Dave

    Loosey wrote:
    > Can you answer this for me though; if you pay for an item
    > and then find out it is not "as described" before delivery should you
    > accept delivery of the goods? I ask because I was always told (in
    > Australia anyway) that if I do a job for someone and say I charge them
    > $1500 for my services, I should not bank any "part" payments. So if
    > they send me a cheque for $1000 I should hang on to it until the other
    > $500 is paid to me. Apparently the reason for this is that they can say
    > I accepted the $1000 as full payment and so I thought that if you
    > accept delivery of the substandard goods you are saying you accept the
    > goods as they are. This of course is based on that you know that the
    > goods are not up to scratch before they are delivered.
    Hi, Dave:

    If I understand your question it has two parts.
    First, should a person accept goods that are different from those
    represented and, second, if a person accepts partial payment does that
    prevent them from demanding the balance be paid.

    Let me begin by saying I am a California lawyer and laws can be
    different between one state and another so they can certainly be
    different between one country and another country. In California there
    is something called the Uniform Commercial Code which sets forth the
    law on commercial transactions. And if there is no particular statute
    then the courts will look to what is known as the "common law," which
    simply means basic legal concepts.

    Now, to answer your question as to acceptance of goods, there are
    specific provisions in the Uniform Commercial code as to goods which
    are leased and those which are purchased. Generally speaking, if a
    person discovers they have purchased non-conforming goods and has not
    yet received them, then they can refuse to accept them and have a right
    to recover their money. Naturally, if the non-conformity is not
    discovered until after acceptance, then the buyer has a reasonable time
    to reject the goods by giving notice to the seller and returning the
    goods for a full refund. Because there is a large body statutory law
    on the subject that is simply an overview. But you can look it up for
    yourself by going to this link, clicking on the box for the Commercial
    Code and then entering the phrase "nonconforming" (without the quotes).
    It will bring up various code sections which you can then read.

    Here is the link: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

    As for accepting a partial payment and that preventing a person from
    seeking the balance due the rules are a bit different depending upon
    whether the payment is to an individual or an institution. If to an
    institution prior notice must be given that the payment is going to be
    sent as payment in full but that is not required if the payee is not an
    institution. In either event there must be a clear notice provided by
    either a letter with the payment or on the check itself, that it is
    being tendered as payment in full of a disputed claim. The law on this
    can also be found in the above link and after you check the box for the
    Commercial Code just enter "3311" (without the quotes), which is the
    code section that sets out the California law in this area.

    And, because I am an attorney, forgive the following, "disclaimer:"
    The foregoing is all provided as general information and is not to be
    relied upon as a legal opinion for any purpose whatsoever. Nobody
    should act or not act in reliance upon the foregoing and should
    actually retain counsel to obtain independent legal advice before
    considering the foregoing as applicable to any situation which may have
    affected or which may yet affect their legal rights and/or their course
    of conduct.

    Thanks Bob for taking the time to answer my question in such detail and
    it was exactly what I wanted to know. Cheque is in the mail mate :)

    Dave

    Loosey wrote:
    > Thanks Bob for taking the time to answer my question in such detail and
    > it was exactly what I wanted to know. Cheque is in the mail mate :)

    I know you were joking about the check... but others on the RGP might
    think I charged you and I just want it known that I consider owing the
    RGP a debt of gratitude and am only too happy to assist others without
    charge just as I have now helped you and as I have been assisted in the
    past.
    Bob

    I just got the game.
    It is in GREAT shape, delivered, set up in my game room.
    Well worth the price - playfield, case, guts, glass, legs all in great
    shape!
    Plays fast, so I will adjust the leveling.
    Barry sent pics, and offered to let me come down and play.
    All in all, a great transaction!

World Of Warcraft Games Ebay Video Games