Dimension 8300 - Cannot Get into Standby Mode

I know there has been some discussion on this issue and I have Googled the
subject matter, but have not found a solution yet. When I attempt to go
into Standby Mode, I get the message:

The device driver for the "Dell Enhanced Quietkey PS2 with Dell Touch"
device is preventing the machine from entering Standby.

I downloaded and installed the latest driver from the Dell Web Site for the
Keyboard, but the error is still present.

My system configuration is:
Dim 8300 3.0GHz, 1GB Ram, 120GB Serial ATA Harddrive, 3.5 Floppy
Window XP Home, SP2 and all current updates
Dell 1901FP Digital Flat Panel
128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800
External USB 80GB harddrive
Omega 250 USB Zip Drive
Dell Optical Mouse
Dell Enhanced Quietkey PS2 Keyboard
48X Max CD-RW
9X DVD+R/RW CD-RW
SoundBlaster Live with 5.1 support
Epson 1200U Flat Bed Scanner
HP Laserjet 3100 Printer (Parallel)
HP Officejet d145 Printer (USB)

Anyone with thoughts on how to resolve this problem? I can post more
information if needed. Thanks for any insights and/or tips.
Charlie
Charliec

There may be a problem with a driver file for Adobe Acrobat, PDF reader based on what is posted here, near the bottom of the page:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_input&message.id=12098&c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs

You may have to reinstall Adobe Acrobat. Try first updating to the current version, which is 7.02, I think. If that fails, you may have to go the reinstallation route as follows.
1. I would first uninstall the version that you have on your PC, if you have the free version.
a. That also includes the Photo program that was available with the reader download.
2. Reboot PC.
3. When that is done, go to C:\Program Files\Adobe, and delete this folder and contents.
4. Then go to www.adobe.com, and install Adobe Acrobat again.
5. Reboot PC.
6
Try to put PC into Standby.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote:

>There may be a problem with a driver file for Adobe Acrobat, PDF reader based on what is posted here, near the bottom of the page:
>http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_input&message.id=12098&c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs
>
>You may have to reinstall Adobe Acrobat. Try first updating to the current version, which is 7.02, I think. If that fails, you may have to go the reinstallation route as follows.
>1. I would first uninstall the version that you have on your PC, if you have the free version.
> a. That also includes the Photo program that was available with the reader download.
>2. Reboot PC.
>3. When that is done, go to C:\Program Files\Adobe, and delete this folder and contents.
>4. Then go to www.adobe.com, and install Adobe Acrobat again.
>5. Reboot PC.
>6
> Try to put PC into Standby.

Thanks for the reply. I only have Acrobat Reader installed. Is that the
portion you are referring to? Thanks
Charliec

"RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote:

>There may be a problem with a driver file for Adobe Acrobat, PDF reader based on what is posted here, near the bottom of the page:
>http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_input&message.id=12098&c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs
>
>You may have to reinstall Adobe Acrobat. Try first updating to the current version, which is 7.02, I think. If that fails, you may have to go the reinstallation route as follows.
>1. I would first uninstall the version that you have on your PC, if you have the free version.
> a. That also includes the Photo program that was available with the reader download.
>2. Reboot PC.
>3. When that is done, go to C:\Program Files\Adobe, and delete this folder and contents.
>4. Then go to www.adobe.com, and install Adobe Acrobat again.
>5. Reboot PC.
>6
> Try to put PC into Standby.

Also, what I have installed from Adobe is;
Adobe Download Manager
Adobe Type Manager
PhotoDeluxe Business Edition 1.0
PrintMe Internet Printing
Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 Starter Edition

Any thoughts on these?
Thanks
Charliec

Is the Adobe Type Manager, version 4? If so the article says to delete it. Check by doing a search checking for hidden and protected files on PC, see if you have the following file:
Atmhelpr.sys

One (1) of the programs that you have listed may have added this file, since it is not on mine, using just the free *.PDF reader, Adobe installs Adobe Type Manager version 2.0 onto PC.

There may be a problem with a driver file for Adobe Acrobat, PDF reader based on what is posted here, near the bottom of the page:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_input&message.id=12098&c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs

NO STANDBY IN WINDOWS XP CAUSED BY ADOBE 4.0 -
The error is, "The device driver for the keyboard device is preventing the machine from entering sleep mode. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver." This is caused by the Atmhelpr.sys driver which is loaded by Adobe Type Manager version 4.0. Remove Adobe Type Manager from the system

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message news:r7ung19ql3bd3u17kc0dql3drtfasbp5gk@4ax.com...

Also, what I have installed from Adobe is;
Adobe Download Manager
Adobe Type Manager
PhotoDeluxe Business Edition 1.0
PrintMe Internet Printing
Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 Starter Edition

Any thoughts on these?
Thanks
Charliec

Nice call, Rich. I learned something from this.

Stew

"RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote in message
There may be a problem with a driver file for Adobe Acrobat, PDF reader
based on what is posted here, near the bottom of the page:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_input&message.id=12098&c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs

You may have to reinstall Adobe Acrobat. Try first updating to the current
version, which is 7.02, I think. If that fails, you may have to go the
reinstallation route as follows.
1. I would first uninstall the version that you have on your PC, if you have
the free version.
a. That also includes the Photo program that was available with the
reader download.
2. Reboot PC.
3. When that is done, go to C:\Program Files\Adobe, and delete this folder
and contents.
4. Then go to www.adobe.com, and install Adobe Acrobat again.
5. Reboot PC.
6
Try to put PC into Standby.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

>"RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote:

>Is the Adobe Type Manager, version 4? If so the article says to delete it. Check by doing a search checking for hidden and protected files on PC, see if you have the following file:
>Atmhelpr.sys
>
>One (1) of the programs that you have listed may have added this file, since it is not on mine, using just the free *.PDF reader, Adobe installs Adobe Type Manager version 2.0 onto PC.
>
>There may be a problem with a driver file for Adobe Acrobat, PDF reader based on what is posted here, near the bottom of the page:
>http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_input&message.id=12098&c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs
>
>NO STANDBY IN WINDOWS XP CAUSED BY ADOBE 4.0 -
>The error is, "The device driver for the keyboard device is preventing the machine from entering sleep mode. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver." This is caused by the Atmhelpr.sys driver which is loaded by Adobe Type Manager version 4.0. Remove Adobe Type Manager from the system

Thanks,
I will look into that and remove Adobe Type Manager as I never use it.
Charlie
Charliec

>"RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote:

>There may be a problem with a driver file for Adobe Acrobat, PDF reader based on what is posted here, near the bottom of the page:
>http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_input&message.id=12098&c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs
>
>NO STANDBY IN WINDOWS XP CAUSED BY ADOBE 4.0 -
>The error is, "The device driver for the keyboard device is preventing the machine from entering sleep mode. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver." This is caused by the Atmhelpr.sys driver which is loaded by Adobe Type Manager version 4.0. Remove Adobe Type Manager from the system

Ok, I removed Adobe Type Manager and that cured the problem. I can now go
into Standby.

A quick question, is there any recommended Maximum time that one should
leave a machine in Standby or can you leave it in Standby as long as you
want, say overnight?
Thanks
Charlie
Charliec

> >"RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote:
>
>>There may be a problem with a driver file for Adobe Acrobat, PDF reader
>>based on what is posted here, near the bottom of the page:
>>http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_input&message.id=12098&c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs
>>
>>NO STANDBY IN WINDOWS XP CAUSED BY ADOBE 4.0 -
>>The error is, "The device driver for the keyboard device is preventing the
>>machine from entering sleep mode. Please close all applications and try
>>again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver." This
>>is caused by the Atmhelpr.sys driver which is loaded by Adobe Type Manager
>>version 4.0. Remove Adobe Type Manager from the system
>
> Ok, I removed Adobe Type Manager and that cured the problem. I can now go
> into Standby.
>
> A quick question, is there any recommended Maximum time that one should
> leave a machine in Standby or can you leave it in Standby as long as you
> want, say overnight?
> Thanks
> Charlie
> Charliec

We put my wife's machine into Standby every night, as it is in our bedroom.
We've left it in Standby, flawlessly, for as long as a week. Your risk is a
power failure. Save your work before you go into standby.

Tom

Thanks for the compliment.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>