install to different hard drive

okay i have 1 250G HD with three partitions, C: is only 5G and is only for OS
but whenever i try to install something from a CD it automaticlly attempts to
install in C:, what do i have to do to get it to install on a different
partition?

By default it will always try to install to C: drive,however in the open box
of the program youre trying to install,use the browse button.browse to
another
drive or partition.Be sure to install it to a new folder.

"Help!!" wrote:

> okay i have 1 250G HD with three partitions, C: is only 5G and is only for OS
> but whenever i try to install something from a CD it automaticlly attempts to
> install in C:, what do i have to do to get it to install on a different
> partition?

I think that there is little point in installing most apps on a separate
partition from the OS. Most apps will write to the registry, some will add
files to system32 folder, or C:\program files\common files, or other system
folders and to the application folders of user accounts. In case of having to
reinstall the OS, such info would be lost and you would need to reinstall all
apps as well anyway.

Help!! wrote:
> okay i have 1 250G HD with three partitions, C: is only 5G and is only for OS
> but whenever i try to install something from a CD it automaticlly attempts to
> install in C:, what do i have to do to get it to install on a different
> partition?

Ask the programmers of all of the various applications to rewrite their
programs to not do this. There's nothing else you can do.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

dl

I think a 5gb C drive is a little tight, even for only the o/s
I have a similar setup and C has 6.25gb used
I keep apps on another partition, only so I can remember what was installed
if I ever have to blow C

"Help!!" <Help!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> okay i have 1 250G HD with three partitions, C: is only 5G and is only for
OS
> but whenever i try to install something from a CD it automaticlly attempts
> install in C:, what do i have to do to get it to install on a different
> partition?

Help!! <Help!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>okay i have 1 250G HD with three partitions, C: is only 5G and is only for OS
>but whenever i try to install something from a CD it automaticlly attempts to
>install in C:, what do i have to do to get it to install on a different
>partition?

It depends on how the installer program is written. Most allow you to
choose where the app will be installed. But even if you choose a
different drive, some DLLs and drivers may be written to C:, and
entries may be made to the registry, which always resides on C:.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)