How to connect/disconnect GPRS

October 13, 2004 2:46:17 AM

I have a Treo600 and have a Virgin (UK) sim and they charge per Kb
for GPRS. I can connect easily enough and check email/browse the
web/etc, but how do I disconnect after I finish? The only way I
can see is to go back to the "home" screen, go to system prefs,
network, then press the disconnect button. Is there a shorter way,
or is there anywhere I can set a time out on the connection?

--
Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com&gt;
Anonymous

Bryan Anderson wrote:

> I have a Treo600 and have a Virgin (UK) sim and they charge per Kb
> for GPRS. I can connect easily enough and check email/browse the
> web/etc, but how do I disconnect after I finish? The only way I
> can see is to go back to the "home" screen, go to system prefs,
> network, then press the disconnect button. Is there a shorter way,
> or is there anywhere I can set a time out on the connection?

You don't need to disconnect. You are only charged for the data that your
transfer, not for the time that you stay connected.

--
+---+
| n | www.n-gate.net
+---+
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 2:58:21 AM

Bryan Anderson <usenet@anderson-it.com> wrote in

> how do I disconnect after I finish?

There's no need to disconnect. As you stated, GPRS is charged on a per KB
basis. As long as you don't transfer anymore data (i.e. you've switched
programs), you won't be charged.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
October 19, 2004 2:49:10 AM

On Tuesday, Angus Marshall wrote:

> You don't need to disconnect. You are only charged for the
> data that your transfer, not for the time that you stay
> connected.

Thanks for that - though I have noticed a "trickle" of data. Recording
my useage - I will check my email and make a note of the total data I
have transfered. I then close the email app, do some other stuff for a
bit, put the Treo on standby for a while, go back in an hour and it's
managed to download 3 or 4Kb more....I know it's not much of an issue
but I am charged ber Kb and that would add up if left to go all day
and all night all month.

May not be an issue anyway - I am looking at Snappermail and it has an
option to disconnect after sending/receiving, so my mind is at rest!

--
Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com&gt;
!