WEP Key Disappears from MN720

After installing this most recent update to MSBN , my WEP
key disappears from my laptop's 11G PCMCIA card's setup.
This requires that I reenter the key before I can access
my network. The lap top is running XP Pro SP1.
Any suggestions? Or is there a fix just around the corner?

joker

Uninstall the utility & use Windows XP built in wireless zero
configuration service. That is the way wireless is supposed to be
configured in Windows XP.

GuenRon wrote:

> After installing this most recent update to MSBN , my WEP
> key disappears from my laptop's 11G PCMCIA card's setup.
> This requires that I reenter the key before I can access
> my network. The lap top is running XP Pro SP1.
> Any suggestions? Or is there a fix just around the corner?

Thanks for the advice. I have already "rolled back" the
update on my notebook. This overcomes this potential
security issue introduced by the utility update. I guess
in Redmond WEP means Won't Even Persist..
I wonder if any of the MVPs are hanging around with an
answer???

joker

I bet they would tell you the same thing because the utility was
designed to configure the wireless connection on versions of Windows
that don't have built in wireless support like XP does.

> Thanks for the advice. I have already "rolled back" the
> update on my notebook. This overcomes this potential
> security issue introduced by the utility update. I guess
> in Redmond WEP means Won't Even Persist..
> I wonder if any of the MVPs are hanging around with an
> answer???

Perhaps they would, but that is not a satisfactory answer
as it is the utility that makes it possible to configure
the router also. No just another case of poor software
QA..

Actually, you don't need ANY utility to configure the router. You can
use a web browser and navigate to 192.168.2.1 -- the software utility
is just a bootstrapper that opens the same web page in kiosk mode.

And I've never used the utility to configure the wireless settings on
an XP machine. I've always used Windows XP's native wireless zero
configuration.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:07:16 -0700,

--
Barb Bowman