Sporadic lockups in Win 7 64 bit

Pandarr

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I built a computer not too long ago, October 2009. The specs are located here. I did go with the XFX card though. Otherwise what is listed there is what I have. It is hooked up to a UPS and is never above 50% capacity that I've seen.

Aside from having Steam and World of Warcraft installed, there's nothing exceptional done on the machine. Most of my non-gaming is done on my Mac Pro. My Windows computer seems to lock up applications sporadically though. The title bar will contain "(not responding)". If I wait long enough though, it will resume, usually 20 seconds to 5-10 minutes. It almost always triggers when I go into Firefox or IE. I played Dirt 2 for about an hour before it started acting up. I did a RAM test with MemTest86+ and found one stick was bad which I'll RMA shortly. I removed that and reinstalled the whole OS just in case a file got corrupt because of the bad RAM. Didn't help though. It's still acting the same after several clean installs. I do have Ubuntu installed on the machine on a second physical drive and Ubuntu hasn't acted up that I've noticed. I also did a hard drive test and that came up clean. There was no addition hardware wise when it started happening and the only software would have been something new from Steam but like I say, I've already done several reinstalls.

When one piece of software locks up I can sometimes use other software that is running.

Is there anything I could/should do to try to diagnose the issue? I'm game for most anything at this point. I'm guessing MB/CPU/PSU is the issue but I didn't know if there was a more definite way to check. I've been trying to fix this off and on for a month now.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
have you tried to run OCCT, and listing the components in the system helps a lot, I don't see a list, do you use a A/V?, which chipset in the graphics card, which model card, how big is the PSU, is it a name brand, with the bad stick of mem removed what is the amount of RAM, ETC.

Pandarr

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

I didn't know about OCCT but I'm putting my computer through its paces now. Hopefully that will show something.

I linked to another thread with the components that are in the machine in the original post. I am currently just using Microsofts Security Essentials for A/V, however I've done at least 3 clean installs since this has started happening. The graphics card is an XFX 5870. The PSU is a Corsair 750W. With the bad stick removed there is only 2048 RAM in the machine currently.