266 vs 333fsb

Taman

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
Been dong a fair bit of reading to decide my next processor / cpu/ memory combo. so far I have settled on the chaintech nforce 2 offering and 2X OCZ pc3500 256MB DDR.

Now the question. reading it appears that the thouroughbred B CPU's have enormous OC ability. Wht I'm thinking is the XP2600 266fsb will have a higher multiplier than the 333fsb XP2600. Now I understand the Nforce boards and the thoroughbred B's have effectivly unlocked the multiplier without a kit.

So.. I'm torn, I've seen articles ( here to start) where oc'ing the fbs results in some crazy speeds ( up to 166fsb). I'd have to assume that to reach the same speeds, the new cpu's have much less room in the way of FSB so you would have to change the multiplier. Where would there be more headroom? I'm thinking in the 266 atm, but then again the 333 is newer.

Any thoughts or comments on my way of thinking would be much appreciated

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
i'd highly reccomend that you look into Corsair XMS, i've used it myself, and the reviews are consistently good. OCZ has had some shady business and often poor products, maybe you'll get lucky with these two stucks, but I would go safe and get the Corsair XMS. Now, the next thing to consider, budget. If you absolutely have enough cash, then the AXP 2600+ will probably get a better FSB overclock, but still, like all Tbred B's, will probably overclock around 2400-2600Mhz on air/water, maybe a little more. If you want to save some money, then get the AXP 2400+ which'll most likely be able to do the same level of overclock, just not as high FSB. If you're going mostly for overclocking, i'd highly suggest the Abit or Epox Nforce2 board, they generally have better clock generators.

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...

Taman

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
Ya thats the first choice, but where I live , noname brand is about 100 bucks a stick, Ocz is about 180 and the corsair is about 250 :( I'm having a hard time justifying that, but will investigate the ocz further before I buy.

thanks, any comment on the CPU fsb question?

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
no name brand? Can you get your hands on some Crucial or Kingston? They're not terrible overclockers

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...