Sign in with
Your question

Another what set up should i get thread help me :D

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 11, 2003 5:05:34 AM

OK well I have been looking for a new computer box because I figure now is the time to buy. I have a budget of $1000 without the monitor and I already have a case, power supply, and a Radeon 9700 Pro. I really dont want to spend that much if I dont have to. I am also considering overclocking so would the XP 2400+ be the best bet? Also... I have been looking at the 2.53 p4 and that seems to be tied with the 2400+ right? I am also thinking about waiting a few months, but only if it really is worth it! I heard this hyper threading will be cheaper by then and it is way better than the products that are out now. Also right now I have a XP 1900+ with GF3 Ti 200 and 1024 MB DDR 2700 Ram with a 40 GB 7200 RPM and its doing good but I just want to be ready to get 99 fps on the new intense games that will be comming out in the future. Or should I not even upgrade and just overclock the crap out of my XP 1900+? Somone please slap some sense into my head, and give me some suggestions plz! Thanks! -_-

why live just to die?

More about : set thread

January 11, 2003 5:36:20 AM

Here's my point of view - you have a fast computer that can handle today's games. There's no point in upgrading at the moment; you'll save money, and have the funds to upgrade when you really need to (like a year from now).

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>
January 11, 2003 6:10:22 AM

Amen holyshiznit! Let me tell you a little about MY gaming rig: Pentium II 233, 32mb TNT2 Ultra video, SB AWE64 sound. The only thing even remotely current is 256mb SDRAM! Heh, now THAT deserves an upgrade... although I'm waiting for the summer to get the most bang for my $1000 - 20 fps is going to have to do until then... 8^)
Related resources
January 11, 2003 6:17:50 AM

rofl nvm I just had to reset cmos im all gravy now peace!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mach1trading on 01/11/03 03:40 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 11, 2003 12:08:15 PM

you don't need a new pc but if you wanna oc your xp 1900 you could just spend a relatively small amount on getting an nforce 2.then stick all that ram of yours in it and your radeon 9700 pro etc and then you can safely oc your 1900 a fair way-maybe even get it running at sync 166fsb with your ram if you unlock it and you don't have to worry about pci or agp busses.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
January 11, 2003 10:55:59 PM

wtf are you playing that your rig can get 20fps in?

-Col.Kiwi
January 11, 2003 11:26:25 PM

Quake?...

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...
January 12, 2003 3:49:50 AM

hmmm thats a really good idea then I can upgrade to a XP 2800+ or somthing when they get cheaper right?

why live just to die?
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2003 6:34:08 AM

Nononono. It's the worst possible time to upgrade if you can wait. AMD will be releasing the Hammer next fall. And Intel will have the Prescott before then. BOTH new platforms will give you viable upgrades for at least 2 years. Current platforms will be viable only until next fall! So if you can wait, wait!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 12, 2003 6:56:07 AM

its so hard to wait LOL =[

why live just to die?
January 12, 2003 7:52:54 AM

Quote:
Also right now I have a XP 1900+ with GF3 Ti 200 and 1024 MB DDR 2700 Ram with a 40 GB 7200 RPM and its doing good

Quote:
I already have a case, power supply, and a Radeon 9700 Pro. I really dont want to spend that much if I dont have to.

You don't have to spend anything. Overclock if you want, but you have nothing to upgrade.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>
January 12, 2003 10:16:57 AM

Crash, I believe you mean this fall.. still not over the new year yet huh? :tongue:

BTW, IIRC Intel changed the Prescott plans so that it'd launch Q4 2o03.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...
January 12, 2003 10:18:29 AM

I may as well say I agree with Crash on this one. There's no point in upgrading when the platform will be outdated in just 1/2 year. Wait til Hammer/Prescott. Many people would envy you're setup there.

January 12, 2003 4:08:19 PM

yes.if you get an nforce 2 mobo then you not only have better performance now, you will even be able to get a barton when they come out if you wish to coz they will be compatible with nforce 2 boards.

a b à CPUs
January 12, 2003 6:40:07 PM

Grrr, there was an episode of Seinfeld about this very topic. I'm used to saying "Next Fall" meaning the next one I see, or "Last Fall" meaning the very last one we had. It would be kind of ackward to refer to what you had done "this spring" during July, no? Anyway, I do mean fall of this year.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 12, 2003 8:26:32 PM

No need to upgrade... A 9700pro with that computer will hold a long time, it is good enought to let you play all new games smoothly until the new platforms arive.

If you want a small upgrade, a nforce2 board would be a good choise. I have the Asus A7N8X deluxe, and I believe it is a really great board as it comes, but not really for the heavy OCing. Unless you put some work to it. It can be voltmodded, and if you unlock your CPUs multiplyer too, you will acheeve great results. I have no experience of the other nforce2 board, but perhaps there is some better boards out there.... Btw, the onboard audio is really good...
January 13, 2003 12:03:52 AM

wow thanks alot for those suggestions they are all great! I think I will go with that new mobo upgrade :D  and with the left over vid card, mobo, and case and power supply I might build another basic computer! You guys are all very nice =]

why live just to die?
January 13, 2003 1:38:38 PM

your welcome :) 

but just try to look around for the best mobo, as I said, A7N8X isn't perfect, but it is a very good board. But don't look at any VIA chipsets, today it is better with Nvidia Nforce2...
January 14, 2003 2:14:58 AM

I just got myself an 1800+ and going to wait for the barton, and waiting for the FX to come out so I can buy the 9700 pro for a bit cheaper. Have to use a tnt 2 :(  . I have a question is there suppose to be like a holographic tiny square on the core of the throughbred athlons (not sure about if my chip is a throughbred, mine is green)
January 14, 2003 10:51:10 AM

you can tell if it is a tbred in two ways:1.If the core is rectangular rather than square it is a tbred.2.By looking at the code-this will also tell you whether it is tbred a or b.Go to this link here to see an explanation of which code means what:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips00173/

January 14, 2003 1:05:00 PM

ok.. Yes, there is that tiny little square on atleast all t-bred cores, haven't checked it on any palimino though. You can see what core you have on its shape, the palimino is allmost squareformed, while the T-bred is longer and thinner. I have seen a few 1800+ t-breds, and I don't remember, but perhaps they were green on the core...
January 14, 2003 2:14:21 PM

If you are getting the new motherboard so you can have 2 computers, great, but if not, I think that you are still wasting your money on the new motherboard. Sure, it will provide a little more performance, but with your setup of a Radeon 9700 Pro, AXP 1900+, and DDR PC2700 RAM, you should already get over 60fps in any game. Any more performance you get isn't worth the $120.00 you would spend on a new motherboard.

My gaming rig is an Athlon 1.4 GHz, GF4Ti4200 w/64MB RAM, 512MB PC133 SDRAM, KT133A chipset, and I play all my games just fine at high resolutions. Your system would kill mine. Don't upgrade for another year or so.
January 15, 2003 3:17:49 PM

How about my prehistoric rig...
k6 233, 4mb s3 vision968, 4mb voodoo1, 64mb sdram, and SB32.
My latest component would have to be my 30gig 75gxp.
Now I'm the one that really needs an upgrade LOL!
!