Pavilion ZV5000 freezes when streaming media player

What's more to say? I bought this lunk a year ago, and whenever I am
playing an extended video from another PC or on the internet, it
freezes up. I tried reformatting and reinstalling the XP Home OS,
applying all patches, updates, installing Anti Virus software again,
everything. Is there some other troubleshooting to do for this? Can I
turn on a debugging tool to figure this out?Nothing in the event log,
or in the startup is causing this. It's looking like a hardware failure.

Streaming media player is very much processor intensive. My guess is that heat
is the villain, with the processor eventually overheating from all the work it
is doing. Get a can of compressed air and point the nozzle inside the opening
that draws air, then blast away. If a lot of dust bunnies come out, the
computer will run a lot cooler.

In the last few months, I have serviced or scrapped a depressingly large number
of laptops which have fallen victim to poor ventilation and overheating.

.... Ben Myers

On 21 Aug 2005 03:28:09 -0700, timisme@yahoo.com wrote:

>What's more to say? I bought this lunk a year ago, and whenever I am
>playing an extended video from another PC or on the internet, it
>freezes up. I tried reformatting and reinstalling the XP Home OS,
>applying all patches, updates, installing Anti Virus software again,
>everything. Is there some other troubleshooting to do for this? Can I
>turn on a debugging tool to figure this out?Nothing in the event log,
>or in the startup is causing this. It's looking like a hardware failure.

I agree w/Ben but if that doesnt help swap the ram mods and retry..
(Little too new for RAM slot issues but you never know)..