Dell Inspiron 8600 - cannot perform TV out

I am trying to connect my dell inspiron 8600 to my sony wega trinitron tv
using an s video cable. There is no s video input on the tv so I have used
an adaptor to change to AV.

Unfortunately the computer does not give me the option of choosing the TV
output as it does not detect that the TV is connected.

The video card is ATI Radeon 9600 Turbo and I have downloaded the latest
driver.

Is there a way of forcing the computer to send the signal through the S
video outlet?

Thanks,

mmutlu

No personal experience with the I8600, but three thoughts.

1) It has to be connected to the TV and the TV on when you boot.
2) 800x600. Maybe 1024x768, but nothing higher.
3) The adapter may not be sending back the signals required in 1)

Tom
"mmutlu" <deletememmutlu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to connect my dell inspiron 8600 to my sony wega trinitron tv
>using an s video cable. There is no s video input on the tv so I have used
>an adaptor to change to AV.
>
> Unfortunately the computer does not give me the option of choosing the TV
> output as it does not detect that the TV is connected.
>
> The video card is ATI Radeon 9600 Turbo and I have downloaded the latest
> driver.
>
> Is there a way of forcing the computer to send the signal through the S
> video outlet?
>
> Thanks,
>
> mmutlu

One more thought. A WEGA without S-VHS surprises me
> No personal experience with the I8600, but three thoughts.
>
> 1) It has to be connected to the TV and the TV on when you boot.
> 2) 800x600. Maybe 1024x768, but nothing higher.
> 3) The adapter may not be sending back the signals required in 1)
>

> Tom
> "mmutlu" <deletememmutlu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I am trying to connect my dell inspiron 8600 to my sony wega trinitron tv
>>using an s video cable. There is no s video input on the tv so I have used
>>an adaptor to change to AV.
>>
>> Unfortunately the computer does not give me the option of choosing the TV
>> output as it does not detect that the TV is connected.
>>
>> The video card is ATI Radeon 9600 Turbo and I have downloaded the latest
>> driver.
>>
>> Is there a way of forcing the computer to send the signal through the S
>> video outlet?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> mmutlu

Thanks for your input. I have triple checked - definately no S video input
anywhere on TV (and no mention in the operating instructions. )

I have since been on the ATI website which indicates that the reason it is
not detecting the TV is because the necessary impedence (apparently 32 ohm)
is not present. It says that this may be the case with advanced A/V
equipment.... (But why with this TV I don't know.)
Unless someone can come up with a better plan I'm going to put a resistor on
the AV cable and see if that does the trick...

> One more thought. A WEGA without S-VHS surprises me
>> No personal experience with the I8600, but three thoughts.
>>
>> 1) It has to be connected to the TV and the TV on when you boot.
>> 2) 800x600. Maybe 1024x768, but nothing higher.
>> 3) The adapter may not be sending back the signals required in 1)
>>

>> Tom
>> "mmutlu" <deletememmutlu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I am trying to connect my dell inspiron 8600 to my sony wega trinitron tv
>>>using an s video cable. There is no s video input on the tv so I have
>>>used an adaptor to change to AV.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately the computer does not give me the option of choosing the
>>> TV output as it does not detect that the TV is connected.
>>>
>>> The video card is ATI Radeon 9600 Turbo and I have downloaded the latest
>>> driver.
>>>
>>> Is there a way of forcing the computer to send the signal through the S
>>> video outlet?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> mmutlu

Just a thought, is the tv out switched on in the bios?, it may be off as
default to save power.

Basill

"mmutlu" <deletememmutlu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to connect my dell inspiron 8600 to my sony wega trinitron tv
>using an s video cable. There is no s video input on the tv so I have used
>an adaptor to change to AV.
>
> Unfortunately the computer does not give me the option of choosing the TV
> output as it does not detect that the TV is connected.
>
> The video card is ATI Radeon 9600 Turbo and I have downloaded the latest
> driver.
>
> Is there a way of forcing the computer to send the signal through the S
> video outlet?
>
> Thanks,
>
> mmutlu

Just to let everyone know,

I was having trouble connecting my dell inspiron 8600 with ati radeon 9600
video card to a tv using the s video output (with a composite video cable
adapter).

I had tried it with two different cbles (bought from different stores)
justin case the cabke was faulty.

My father happeed to have an older dell which he bought second hand which
came with an s video cable. This cable worked with my computer.

It appears that the newer cables are different to the older cables in their
wiring, and that the newer cables don't work! (They were all 5 pin.)

Of course if you go to the ati website they are happy to furnish you with a
cable for only $25.

Mutlu