Sign in with
Your question

UK Gaming Laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
November 30, 2009 8:06:09 PM

Hello :) . I'm looking to get a laptop between now and January for University and replace my desktop whilst away so thought I'd come here to ask for some advice.

1_What is your budget?
Ideally £400-£800

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Flexible

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Not a big concern

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need?
A couple of hours would be nice

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Probably medium, I'm just looking for a solid frame rate when playing even if I have to turn down on all my games. Left 4 Dead 2, Pro Evolution 2009, Unreal 3.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Watch movies, program simple applications and games, occasional low poly modeling

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Couple of hundred gig

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Possibly this at 600, the rest of the mesh range seems rubbish with 105Ms in: http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTV...
I do like Gateway and Asus but the UK prices that I can find seem very expensive. Dell XPS would possibly be an option but I'm not sure it's value for money

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Has to last atleast until I finish university halfway through 2011. I'd be prepared to push the budget a bit for a real good laptop that would be good for longer

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Just a DVD drive

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Gateway and Asus have nice gaming machines, but the UK laptops I can find are usually twice the price of the one in the US. Alienware and the like are far too expensive. I'd be okay with Dell if I could find a value for money one, they appear to be either low like 8400M or 8700M SLi for about 950, somewhere inbetween would be good.

13_What country do you live in?
England

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I would be willing to push the budget a bit for a better machine, for example the XPS M1730 for 960 with Sli 8700m I would be okay to spend 850, maybe just 900 but the extra is a bit too much. Alternatively a short term laptop would be okay instead if it was much cheaper, I've seen a few 8600m and 9500m laptops available from about £400 which seems pretty reasonable.

More about : gaming laptop

December 1, 2009 2:02:11 PM

Thanks Maziar. That's an excellent laptop for the price.
a c 244 D Laptop
December 1, 2009 2:08:56 PM

No problem glad i could help :) 
!