MN-700 Wireless Access Point

Last response: in Networking
July 30, 2004 6:23:28 PM

Can the MN-700 be used in a wireless access point mode? I
read a review of this product that said is does not
have "wireless bridge capability".
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 9:36:17 PM

I think there is some confusion of terms along the way. I have an MN-700 as
an access point: it is wired to another router and the MN_700 provides
wireless access at that point. The MN_700 cannot act as an access point
using a wireless connection (that is what I think is meant by 'wireless
bridge' - it has to be wired to do that.

"sib" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can the MN-700 be used in a wireless access point mode? I
> read a review of this product that said is does not
> have "wireless bridge capability".
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 9:36:18 PM

I think I understand you. To be sure, here's what I need
to do: connect the MN-700 to my CAT-5 cable coming from
my ISP provider, and have it act as an access point via
an ethernet cable to one computer, and also act as an
access point (wirelessly) to a second computer. Will this
product do that?

Related resources
July 31, 2004 12:07:59 AM

Here is an example with directions for connecting up to Three Microsoft
routers.

Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #2 --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500,
or MN-700 #2
MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #3 --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500,
or MN-700 #3 (if available)

Make sure all MN-100s & MN-500s are running the latest firmware 1.11.017

Make sure all MN-700s are running the latest firmware 2.01.02.0590

Now lets look at the setup of each MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700:

MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
router mode
LAN IP address at default of 192.168.2.1
some SSID (if wireless)
some WEP key (if wireless)
channel 6 (if wireless)

MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #2
bridge mode
LAN IP address at 192.168.2.42, outside of default DHCP range
same SSID (if wireless)
same WEP key (if wireless)
channel 1 (if wireless)

MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #3 (if available)
bridge mode
LAN IP address at 192.168.2.43, outside of default DHCP range
same SSID (if wireless)
same WEP key (if wireless)
channel 11 (if wireless)

If you keep the SSID and WEP key the same for all base stations, people
will be able to move between offices and get a connection.

You need to select non-overlapping channels for the base stations to
prevent interference.

Channels 1, 6, and 11 are the three non-overlapping channels.

There are more combinations if you only need two channels.

sib wrote:

> Can the MN-700 be used in a wireless access point mode? I
> read a review of this product that said is does not
> have "wireless bridge capability".
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 8:53:05 AM

I may be incorrect here, but I do not believe that you can utilize the 4 regular ethernet ports on the router when its configured as an Acces Point.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"sib" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:775a01c47681$432e40e0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>I think I understand you. To be sure, here's what I need
> to do: connect the MN-700 to my CAT-5 cable coming from
> my ISP provider, and have it act as an access point via
> an ethernet cable to one computer, and also act as an
> access point (wirelessly) to a second computer. Will this
> product do that?

August 2, 2004 12:52:14 AM

All you did was change it from a router into a bridge. The only
limitation is that the WAN port is only able to connect at 10 mbps
instead of 100 mbps like the other ports.

!