Incubustion

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Hi all, just wondering if you guys could help me. I have an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ with a TT Volcano 7+. Problem is, I can only run at 1.35 GHz stably (albeit at around 75 degrees celcius). At 1800+ the computer heats up pretty quick and auto shuts downs (Asus A7V8X). Forget 2200+ speed setting, the computer won't even boot!

Does the case affect much of the CPU temp? I have a rear fan blowing out, and a front fan blowing in. Cheers for any help.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
are you sure you have the volcano 7+ connected up right coz there is no way it should get that high.my xp 2000 oc'd to 1775MHz only gets up to 45C under full load under my volcano 7+ on its lowest speed setting.Have you connected it to a 4 pin ide connector from the psu?Oh and the case has little effect on cpu temperature.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

steveatpipex

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
I'm having exactly the same problem with an AMD 2000XP, it should be set to 133 but is unstable at this speed, but runs ok at 130 - 132. Heat isn't an issue for me, I'm beginning to think the CPU is faulty.

Incubustion

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Hmmm...I'm not sure if it is seated on the CPU correctly, I certainly hope so. Short of taking it off, how can i check? I'm just paranoid about damaging it...what's best way to clean old thermal paste off CPU and heatsink? Cheers.

Oh, another thing...how much does case temp affect CPU temp? My comps gizzards are a mess. Dunno if affecting airflow?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Incubustion on 01/13/03 07:08 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Uh...there really is no other way to check short of benchmarks. I dunno, if you have extra thermal paste (preferably Arctic Silver 3), I would take off the heatsink, make sure you cleaned off the thermal pad from you Tt Volcano 7+, and make sure the die of your Athlon is clean.

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Oh, no no no! Make sure you use ™.7 or higher pure alcohol with a very clean piece of tissue paper or something like that. Just a material that doesn't carry too much dust and won't leave a residue.

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
Make sure the volcano 7 is being held firmly down by its clip. I got one of these for a friend and wasn't overly impressed with it, not because of the quality of its heat sink and fan (which are excellent) but because of its inadequate clip which only attached to one tab on either side of the socket! This clip was simply not secure enough to ensure the heavy heat sink didn't break away from the processor (it only takes miniscule amount of movement to cause disaster)! I remedied the problem by pulling the unit apart and replacing the clip with one that attached to all six socket tabs! I believe the volcano 9 is now offering the unit with the better clip as standard.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
the volcano 7+ now also comes with the better clip that holds to all three of the plastic bits either side of the socket.i just bought one you see.they must have realised that the old clip was causing people problems.

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
Another problem may be that you have your core voltage set too high. The 2200+ Thoroughbred core only needs 1.65volts as opposed to the Palomino line which used 1.75volts as standard. Higher voltage settings always spell greater heat production!

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
still shouldn't be that hot though coz i have my xp 2000 palomino oc'd using a 1.85Vcore and it still doesn't quite reach 50C at full load under my volvano 7+

Incubustion

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
hmmm...anything i can use that doesn't require me to go out and buy something for this one purpose?

as for the core voltage thing...how do i check which type i have -- palo or tb?

cheers !

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Yes, you really need to use an almost pure alcohol based solution that will clean off the die. I'm pretty sure you can't use nail polish remover, you might be able to though. I would just go out to like...CVS or Kmart, some shop and buy it, it can't be more than like $2 or something. Paly's have 1.75 volts stock, Tbred's are 1.65 volts stock.

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
I don't think they made a 2200+ Palomino they ended at 2100+! In any case it might be worth dropping the voltage and seeing if you system runs stable if it does you should get a temperature drop of some sort.

Incubustion

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Sorry to keep asking these rather "n00b" (for lack of a better word) questions. With the voltage thing, if I drop the voltage, will it possibly damage the CPU? I'm *assuming* no, and that it might not boot due to not enough power (if dropping voltage is not the solution).

It might be worth noting that I used to have my computer plugged into 2 four-way power boards from two wall sockets and now I use an extension lead to another wall socket just for the case power supply. I'm pretty sure it's not as hot as before (it's only 1-2 degrees celcius difference, not much at all).

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
Dropping the voltage will not damage the processor at worse it will simply lockup or reboot the PC. On the other hand increasing the voltage can damage to CPU but is a necessary evil if you overclock (same principle as when you rev your car engine you need to put your foot down to give it more juice)! This is why overclocked CPUs don't last as long as normally clocked ones. As for your power system I doubt whether it has much to do with it but I've always been against running monitors from the PC's power supply as I feel the extra power draw through it can contribute to over heating and eventual burning out of the power unit.

Incubustion

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
oh, my monitor has a separate power cable. monitor has own power cable, case has own power too.

i think i'll bring my computer over to someone's place to fix it. i want to attach the heatsink myself, but i think they have the cleaning materials when i remove the volcano.

cheers guys, much appreciated