HP laser printers

Any input on the HP 1022 or 1320 series of personal laser printers?

Very light use. Less than 10 pages per day.

Sick of high ink cost for my inkjet printer.

Thanks.

--
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

ric wrote:

> Any input on the HP 1022 or 1320 series of personal laser printers?
>
> Very light use. Less than 10 pages per day.
>
> Sick of high ink cost for my inkjet printer.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Try inkfarm.com

"Greg" <tgr1oo@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>> Any input on the HP 1022 or 1320 series of personal laser printers?
>>
>> Very light use. Less than 10 pages per day.
>>
>> Sick of high ink cost for my inkjet printer.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
>
> Try inkfarm.com

Thanks, but I am reluctant to try yet another generic supplier. I've
had ZERO luck with generics in the past. My major complaint is
being forced to replaced my color cartridge even though NO color
printing had been done. A b&w laser printer fits my needs better.

--
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

In your case, the cheapeast one, HP LJ 1022 will be more than enough. You
are definitely right about teh B&W laser printer in comparison to inkjet.
Chances are you could leave the laser printer powered off for 4/5 months
and then print and teh print out will be just fine unless teh Wiper blade
in the toner cartridge goes bad.

Dewaine

ric wrote:

> "Greg" <tgr1oo@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
> >> Any input on the HP 1022 or 1320 series of personal laser printers?
> >>
> >> Very light use. Less than 10 pages per day.
> >>
> >> Sick of high ink cost for my inkjet printer.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
> >
> > Try inkfarm.com
>
> Thanks, but I am reluctant to try yet another generic supplier. I've
> had ZERO luck with generics in the past. My major complaint is
> being forced to replaced my color cartridge even though NO color
> printing had been done. A b&w laser printer fits my needs better.
>
> --
> Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Right. Laser printer toner cartridges rarely go bad. I don't have a lot of
experience with the newer ones. My use and resale is confined to rock-solid old
LaserJet 4, 4+, 5, and 4000 models... Ben Myers

"ric" <nospam@home.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Any input on the HP 1022 or 1320 series of personal laser printers?
>
> Very light use. Less than 10 pages per day.

I would look at the 1160, because the toner is quite expensive for the
smaller ones. Note that 1160 and 1320 do NOT have a "tray 1" as in the old
days.

--
Esben

"Esben" <esben@gruf.LAND> wrote in message

>> Any input on the HP 1022 or 1320 series of personal laser printers?
>>
>> Very light use. Less than 10 pages per day.
>
> I would look at the 1160, because the toner is quite expensive for the
> smaller ones. Note that 1160 and 1320 do NOT have a "tray 1" as in the old
> days.

Hmm...HP says that the 1160 and 1320 use the *same* toner cartridge,
and it is a few bucks *more* ($70) than the one for the 1022 ($67.)
The cartridge for the 1022 is only rated at 2,000 sheets, however,
compared to 2,500 for the 1160/1320.

--

> "Esben" <esben@gruf.LAND> wrote in message
> Hmm...HP says that the 1160 and 1320 use the *same* toner cartridge,
> and it is a few bucks *more* ($70) than the one for the 1022 ($67.)
> The cartridge for the 1022 is only rated at 2,000 sheets, however,
> compared to 2,500 for the 1160/1320.

That's what I mean - 500 pages extra for 3$ is cheap. The 1160/1320 seam
more sturdy than the 1022, and less vulnerable to dust because the paper is
in a closed tray. Also, with the 1320 there is a high yield toner available
(6.000 pages). But do some calculations on your local prices, and see what's
most fit for you.
If, in time, you should need an extra tray, you should go for the 1320, as
this is the only one where an extra tray is an option.

--

>> Hmm...HP says that the 1160 and 1320 use the *same* toner cartridge,
>> and it is a few bucks *more* ($70) than the one for the 1022 ($67.)
>> The cartridge for the 1022 is only rated at 2,000 sheets, however,
>> compared to 2,500 for the 1160/1320.
>
> That's what I mean - 500 pages extra for 3$ is cheap. The 1160/1320 seam
> more sturdy than the 1022, and less vulnerable to dust because the paper
> is in a closed tray. Also, with the 1320 there is a high yield toner
> available (6.000 pages). But do some calculations on your local prices,
> and see what's most fit for you.
> If, in time, you should need an extra tray, you should go for the 1320, as
> this is the only one where an extra tray is an option.

At less than 10 sheets per day (closer to 5 sheets per day) the 2,000 sheet
cartridge would last me over a year. What is the replacement policy as far
as time is concerned on those toner cartridges? As far as dust, this printer
will be in a relatively dust free environment. The difference in price
between
the 1022 and 1160/1320 would buy about three toner cartridges, or over
three years of printing. That, too, must be considered.

--

> At less than 10 sheets per day (closer to 5 sheets per day) the 2,000
> sheet
> cartridge would last me over a year. What is the replacement policy as far
> as time is concerned on those toner cartridges?

As far as I know, there is a limited lifetime warranty on toner cartridges
for HP lasers. That means, that if they malfunction before the toner is
empty "within reasonable age", then it will be replaced.

> As far as dust, this printer
> will be in a relatively dust free environment. The difference in price
> between
> the 1022 and 1160/1320 would buy about three toner cartridges, or over
> three years of printing. That, too, must be considered.

Yes, the 1022 might be the right one for you then. I initially remembered
wrong regarding toner cost, they are not that much cheaper on the 1160
compared to the 1022.

--

> As far as I know, there is a limited lifetime warranty on toner cartridges
> for HP lasers. That means, that if they malfunction before the toner is
> empty "within reasonable age", then it will be replaced.

Ah, there's the rub. What do they define as "within reasonable age" ??
I can see having the same cartridge installed for two years or more. And
if I get one of those high capacity cartridges (6000+ pages), it could be
up to five years.

> Yes, the 1022 might be the right one for you then. I initially remembered
> wrong regarding toner cost, they are not that much cheaper on the 1160
> compared to the 1022.

Durability and dependability are my two major requirements. I HATE
having computer, A/V, etc., type problems. I don't mind paying a little
more as long as I'm getting a more reliable product.

--
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:54:03 +0100, ric wrote
(in article <CR5Oe.1985$sw6.1413@fed1read05>):

> Durability and dependability are my two major requirements. I HATE
> having computer, A/V, etc., type problems. I don't mind paying a little
> more as long as I'm getting a more reliable product.

fwiw I have a lj 1320nw and lurve it. Particularly its postscript support,
general compactness, robustness, wireless networking out of the box. I use it
in a mixed mac/pc network without a problem. I would recommend it to anyone.

PostScript is the printer language of choice for any printer that needs to be
used with non-Windows computers. Period. End of story. Yes, Linux has HP PCL
support, but... Ben Myers

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:01:59 +0100, Simon Dobbs <simondobbs@froglet.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:54:03 +0100, ric wrote
>(in article <CR5Oe.1985$sw6.1413@fed1read05>):
>
>> Durability and dependability are my two major requirements. I HATE
>> having computer, A/V, etc., type problems. I don't mind paying a little
>> more as long as I'm getting a more reliable product.
>
>fwiw I have a lj 1320nw and lurve it. Particularly its postscript support,
>general compactness, robustness, wireless networking out of the box. I use it
>in a mixed mac/pc network without a problem. I would recommend it to anyone.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:02:55 +0100, Ben Myers wrote
(in article <430a4b53.24080681@nntp.charter.net>):

> PostScript is the printer language of choice for any printer that needs to be
> used with non-Windows computers. Period. End of story. Yes, Linux has HP
> PCL
> support, but... Ben Myers

I'm not sure how this adds to my post. I did say I liked my 1320 BECAUSE of
its postscript support. This would be de rigeur for any laser printer used
with a mac.

You and I both know that postscript support is de rigeur for any laser printer
used with a mac. With the widespread use of personal computers of all kinds
(Windows, Macs, Linux) by people who do not have a lot of knowhow, my posting
adds value by emphasizing the point.

I do local repair, service, and tech support, and I am still surprised at the
strange hardware combinations people try just because the connectors match.
Then I have to clean up the mess or explain why their approach won't work.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:47:06 +0100, Simon Dobbs <simondobbs@froglet.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:02:55 +0100, Ben Myers wrote
>(in article <430a4b53.24080681@nntp.charter.net>):
>
>> PostScript is the printer language of choice for any printer that needs to be
>> used with non-Windows computers. Period. End of story. Yes, Linux has HP
>> PCL
>> support, but... Ben Myers
>
>I'm not sure how this adds to my post. I did say I liked my 1320 BECAUSE of
>its postscript support. This would be de rigeur for any laser printer used
>with a mac.

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:04:07 +0100, Ben Myers wrote
(in article <430b2b29.2716824@nntp.charter.net>):

> ow that postscript support is de rigeur for any laser printer
> used with a mac. With the widespread use of personal computers of all kinds
> (Windows, Macs, Linux) by people who do not have a lot of knowhow, my posting
> adds value by emphasizing the point.
>
> I do local repair, service, and tech support, and I am still surprised at the
> strange hardware combinations people try just because the connectors match.
> Then I have to clean up the mess or explain why their approach won't work.

jolly good