Upgradeware adapter...any drawbacks?

djohn3853

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Me again. Ive got Gateway 700Mhz. And yes I want a new mobo and cpu but that just escalates to new mem, case?, psu...I realize this is just a short term gain but for less than $100 I can do this. Now having said all that are there any drawbacks to doing this? I have a Geforce3 and 384MB ram and I like gaming. Wil going from PIII to Celeron be a step back in any aspect? (even though I go from 700Mhz to 1.4GHz)

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
I just used one for a few months. It allowed me to run a P3-S 1.26 GHz on my 440BX board. However, the combo just died on me two weeks ago! I haven't got around to testing the CPU yet, but my hunch is the Upgradeware adapter died. I am now running a P3/933 and am not going to mess with Tually adapters anymore, because I had a Powerleap adapter before the Upgradeware that died in five days. I'll just bite the bullet and upgrade to the P4 one of these days when I need to. My advice is to stay away from these adapters.

Wil going from PIII to Celeron be a step back in any aspect? (even though I go from 700Mhz to 1.4GHz)
Overall it will be faster. The Tualatin Celeron has 256K cache just like the P3 but it has a higher cache latency and runs on 100 MHz FSB, which together make the Celeron perform around 30% slower than a P3 per clock. However, if you deduct 30% from 1.4 GHz you still come out ahead of the P3/700. Just don't expect a big difference.

Ritesh

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The fact that your board supports the PIII 700, a Coppermine core CPU, shows that it has the lower voltage requirements needed to run an Upgradeware adapter. I've been running my Upgradeware adapter for a couple months now with a Celeron 1.1GHz overclocked to 1.47GHz, no problems.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>