PIV Abit Max 2 Vs All Competitors!

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Hi all

I need to replace a P4S8X in a friends machine, it is running a PIV 2.4b with 1 stick of 512MB Corsair 2700...

I think that the Abit Max2 looks like a great board and I have heard good things about it from a few people. And this is currently top of my list, I just thought I would post to see peoples opinions.

Tim

<font color=blue>Its winter now... So how come my CPU temp is still </font color=blue><b><font color=red>55C</font color=red></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey, as long as he's stuck with PC2700 you might as well. The P4S8X has had numerous problems, which is why I'm recommending the 8SG667 instead (mostly for it's DDR400 support).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Yeah the P4S8X has been nothing but one big headache for him and me especially, as its in both my Brothers machine and the one in question... And I have been enlisted on many an occasion to get the things working again!

The boards haven't really been that bad apart from when they start to cock up. They can be stable for weeks until something (which I haven't yet worked out) happens. Then they need tweaking and fiddling until they are running again :frown:

I've also had my eye on the GA-8SQ800ULTRA (& 2), the Epox EP-4PEA+, and Albatron PX845PE PRO II. All these boards are within the same price range (£120-135)

Tim

<font color=blue>Its winter now... So how come my CPU temp is still </font color=blue><b><font color=red>55C</font color=red></b>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
IT7-MAX2 Rev2 is the best performance I845 chipset motherboard and the most stable with a long list of features.

I use the IT7 Max2 R2 myself.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
I just built a system using the abit it7- max2 r2 for my roommate along with a p4 2.5ghz, 512mb OCZ pc3500 EL, radeon all in wonder 9700pro, 2 wd 80gig JB harddrives in a raid 0 setup....blah blah...and it is rock solid and very quick....with a voltage bump, we managed to overclock this processor to 132fsb before we reached a brickwall...3.28ghz air cooled, which is pretty impressive if you ask me :smile: ...temps are running around 42 C at idle

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Here is a good review for you to read so that you can draw your conclusions...
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1771&p=1" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1771&p=1</A>

TRENDING THREADS