MrB

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

I put together a PC for a friend who bought the parts himself. The Sony DVD
Player..CD rewriter came with no software. He is running XP Home. If he
tries to play a DVD using Windows MP, he gets an error that says he needs a
DVD decoder. The system has all MS updates. What do we need to do to get him
into DVD country?

WinDVD, PowerDVD.... or similar

www.intervideo.com and www.gocyberlink.com I believe both have trial
versions so you can see which he prefers.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

MrB wrote:
> I put together a PC for a friend who bought the parts himself. The
> Sony DVD Player..CD rewriter came with no software. He is running XP
> Home. If he tries to play a DVD using Windows MP, he gets an error
> that says he needs a DVD decoder. The system has all MS updates. What
> do we need to do to get him into DVD country?

Download and install the K-Lite Codec MegaPack.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dvd+codec&btnG=Google+Search

--
..__
(__

MikeP

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

"MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message
>I put together a PC for a friend who bought the parts himself. The Sony DVD
>Player..CD rewriter came with no software. He is running XP Home. If he
>tries to play a DVD using Windows MP, he gets an error that says he needs a
>DVD decoder. The system has all MS updates. What do we need to do to get
>him into DVD country?

How much spyware gets installed along with it?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ep7qdjJmFHA.3256@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
MikeP <sitting@puter> hunted and pecked:
> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
>
> "MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message
>> I put together a PC for a friend who bought the parts himself. The Sony
>> DVD Player..CD rewriter came with no software. He is running XP Home. If
>> he tries to play a DVD using Windows MP, he gets an error that says he
>> needs a DVD decoder. The system has all MS updates. What do we need to
>> do to get him into DVD country?

MikeP

No spyware or Iwouldn't recommend it.

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> How much spyware gets installed along with it?

None that I've noticed (asuming you're referring to VLC).