Sign in with
Your question

Please help me!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2003 2:41:54 AM

I'm having a hell of a problem with my new PC, so I guess I need lots of suggestion from you guys on how to solve it..thanks in advance

1. Whenever I try to run ANY games (even old ones like Grim Fandango), my PC will run without problems but right after the opening cinematic, it hang or freezes (the point where the game begins).

2. This same problem also show up when I'm converting audio cd (wav) to mp3. The computer just hang, but it's not the 'blue screen'..the display is still there, it just freezes and I need to restart.

Here's my system spec:
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
Asus A7S333 motherboard
Kingston 512MB DDR Ram
64MB ATI Radeon 9000
60GB Maxtor HDD

I've tried to download the latest driver for my graphics card, but the problem still exist. Now I'm really stuck...hope you guys can help, pls.

More about : question

January 13, 2003 2:45:53 AM

Do you have a copper HSF?

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...
January 13, 2003 2:50:37 AM

I'm using the stock fan provided by the XP 2200+
I thought that because I'm not doing any overclocking, the stock fan is enough...

Btw, the temperature on the bios read 47 degree celcius for my cpu so I think it's ok?
Related resources
January 13, 2003 3:13:40 AM

I know 2200s have trouble dissipating heat. That is part of the reason why AMD added an extra layer for the TbredB. If those are idle temps, they may be a bit high. I would try the house fan test. Basically you open up the case, point a house fan at the system, and run again. If it still persists, you can assume overheating is less likely to be the cause. If it runs fine, you know you need better case ventilation.

What size PSU do you have? A 9700 and a TBred can be a power hungry combination.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...
January 13, 2003 3:39:35 AM

Yes, the temp is read from the bios, during boot-up. So I assume it's really idle temp.

I will try placing a house fan so it blow directly to the cpu and see what happen. I also think that the cpu might be the cause of the problem because I've installed the latest driver for the card.

Anyway, my graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9000, not the super expensive 9700 lol. And the PSU is 350W, so I guess it will be fine.
January 13, 2003 4:58:41 PM

Just for safe keepings...

Im gonna assume ur under WIndows XP ???

Now....I have that same MB with an 1800+ Thoroughbred.....running at 2000+ speeds...no problems....BUT have u installed the SiS AGP Driver ????? or the SiS IDE Driver ??? go to <A HREF="http://www.sis.com/" target="_new">SiS's</A> Website and look for the latest AGP Driver and IDE Driver and install them.....if ur computer is still freezing/hanging/locking up.....the chipset "could" be overheating or ur RAM might even be faulty...i dont think its the CPU...also try upgradign ur bios to the latest BETA which ive tested out myself and is actually very good it's 1005 Beta 3......

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
January 14, 2003 7:20:42 AM

Grim Fandango, what a great game!

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: 
!