Questions before buying a new notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,
My old laptop was broken a few days ago. It is already 5 years old and I am thinking of buying a new one.. pronto.. Cause I need a mobile computing unit... and fast...
I need a light and small sized laptop, with long life battery (at least 6 hours) but I don't want to have a weak one such as the atoms.. and I am an occasional gamer

I accidentally saw this
Asus UL80VT-WX028V SU7300/14"/G210M/4096MB/500GB/Win 7/2kg/DVD-burner/Card reader/Altec lansing speakers/up to 12 hours battery on operating condition.
I like everything about this one but still have doubts about the proc.
Is this a good choice?
How is the performance of the proc if you compare it to T5850 or T6600? Is it way way way way weaker or just weaker?
Any sugestions?

BTW I am living in germany

First of all. Thank you for your reply. After reading the link posted, I have done some thinking.

Since I play games only once in a while, and don't expect to play in high resolution, a mediocre proc and video card will do just fine.
Because I use the laptop mostly on the way, I need a light and small sized laptop, with long life battery.
But I hate that atoms...they are too weak...

The only problem remains the same, I can't find a good article about the proc.
I wanna know how strong the proc is. This will be a great factor in deciding which laptop I gonna buy.

My second option is ASUS X5DAB-SX070V AMD X2 Turion RM75/HD4570/DVD burner/4GB/Win7/320GB HDD/15.6"/2,7kg
My second option is about 300 euro cheaper, but doesn't meet my requirements in size, weight and battery operating time.
But... if SU7300 is way way way too weak... I will have to choose the second option..

Please.. anyone...can you tell me more about this SU7300 performance?

OK.. Last questions..
There are also new procs on the market like AMD Athlon II M300.
How about this one is this powerful enough for occasional gamer?
I know I have read several article... T5850 or T6600 should do just fine and if I am lucky...I can find T8600 with cheap price..
Just curious about the new ones.

alcomplex

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Lol just fill in the FAQ man Maziar has been asking you politely like 5 times now.

OK.. Here it goes!

1_What is your budget?
Between 450-800 Euros

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Between 13.3" to 15" (15.4 and 15.6 are still acceptable)

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Not really a matter to me.. But hdmi and vga output is a must

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable but not too weak for gaming (not a desktop replacement)

5_How much battery life do you need?
If possible longer than 6 hours.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, Tropico 3, Dragon age origins, Street Fighter 4, PES2010, etc. only with low to medium settings.. I still have my PC...

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
C/C++, Matlab, office work, internet, watching movies, photos, playing music, etc. no movie/photo editing.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
I can upgrade this afterwards... sope...no problem

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Nope.. just at stores near my home or from www.notebookbilliger.de

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
at least 3 years... no more than 5 years...

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Internal DVD burner is a must.. Blue-Ray ROM is also a good investation (BR is not a must) and I hate slot in drive.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Toshiba or Lenovo (ASUS, if the price forces me to choose it)

13_What country do you live in?
Germany

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Hmmm...the laptop should not be too heavy.. let say under 2.5kg including the battery..It must have Win7 x64 premium, because vista is too slow and xp is too old.....no touch screen/tablet is required.

Hmmm... any suggestions?

alcomplex

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
No but I will. Still if the Asus is better why would I settle for another?

EDIT: sorry thought this was my post appologies

@Maziar :
I have never used dell before but...... WOW!...one of the studio 15 variants already has i7..and costs only 799 euros the same price as ASUS with SU7300... ....this is certainly a good bargain..

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-studio-1555?c=de&l=de&s=dhs&cs=dedhs1&ref=lthp

Hmmmm....799 euros is really at the end border of my budget...Hmmmm....
Should I pick the one with P7450 (649 euros) or the one with i7 820 (799 euros)? Hmmm...

Ok time to do some calculation...

Hmmm.. I will take the i7 one... I have seen it before but it was about 1200 euros (in the website itself is it written 421 euros discount, that mean.. my memory about this notebok is not wrong)... perhaps this is because Christmas is near...
Gotta hurry up and order this before the special sale is over...

Thanks man!

Can't wait till my new laptop comes... hehe.. Let hope my brother won't take it away again just like last year as I bought T400 (T8700/4GB/HD3470/250GB HDD/15.4"/Win Vista home premium 32) from Lenovo...
Better to keep quite and hide the laptop.... mwahahahahaha....

terenze

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Dell Studio 15 - Bought one during mid last year, performance was really good but it started to slow down and issues after one another. Still useable but it gets very slow. I will not recommend for long-term use.

Bought a new Asus laptop 2 months ago and performing really well. Installed quite a lot of softwares and still running very smooth and fast.

So i would really not recommend the Dell Studio 15 to be honest.

Go for Asus!

http://www.my-electricals-online.com/PC-and-Laptops/ASUS-Laptops/Asus-K50IN-SX025C-15_6-Inch-Notebook-%28C2D-T6500-2_1GHz,-RAM-4GB,-HDD-320GB,-DVDSM,-Vista-Home-Premium%29/B002HWR2QY/

@Maziar : Yup I have ordered the Dell Studio 15 with i7... :)
If I can get this kind of performance with this price... who cares about the weight and other things... hehehehe
I just realized.. this one comes with 7200rpm HDD... which is good..I don't have to buy extra
It will be in my hands about 2-3 days hehehehe....

@Terenze : Asus is actually not that bad.. the hardware is good.. but the material that ASUS uses for the body... it is just really bad... I noticed it because my fellow classmates at the university also own ASUS laptops... Some of them were having problems especially with the joints (laptop to screen)....
as for Dell... let see if this laptop can last about 3 years without any problem..

@Tereze : Your dell studio is slow? Have you tried to freshly install again the operating system from scratch? You still have the guarantee you know, if somethin' is broken..
Don't forget that laptops are also mass produced goods.. Sometime (if you are unlucky) you will get defect/weak items... unless if you can witness the problems very often, like I did with ASUS.. but the good thing about ASUS.. this brand doesn't show much hardware issues.. just many body issues...

I guess it is time to close this thread.. I will let you know if my new laptop causes problem.. I f you see me writing nothin' it means there is no problem..
Thank you for everything and see ya! Merry christmas! GBU!

Status
Not open for further replies.