Dell D800 Touchpad and mouse problems

Just got a D800 with the port replicator. Got some problems.

1) The Alps touchpad is very imprecise - it reacts slowly (delay from my
finger moves to the pointer moves), and sometimes moves small jumps
backwards. I have optimized all the possible settings, but the performance
is way below that of my previous touchpads (synaptics)

2) If I attach a mouse (USB) to the port replicator, the mouse movement is
not smooth and inaccurate. It is OK if it is connected directly to the PC

3) If I connect the mouse to the PS/2 port of the replicator it works find,
but if I switch between my to PCs using my KVM switch, the mouse moves
erratically on the D800 when I switch back to that. I have never experienced
that before with my other PC's or laptops - so I suspect it is the port
replicator.

Have anyone else the same experiences?

If this can't be solved, I must insist on getting my money back, since it is
useless for serious work - especially considering the fair amount of money I
have paid for this machine.

Sincerely
Morten
mhp at dadlnet dot dk
8 answers Last reply
More about dell d800 touchpad mouse problems

    Morten wrote:

    > Just got a D800 with the port replicator. Got some problems.
    >
    > 1) The Alps touchpad is very imprecise - it reacts slowly (delay from my
    > finger moves to the pointer moves), and sometimes moves small jumps
    > backwards. I have optimized all the possible settings, but the performance
    > is way below that of my previous touchpads (synaptics)

    There should be a setting for touch sensitivity - increase it. Also,
    the setting for precision is ambiguous on some computers. Unchecking
    makes things better/worse depending on the computer.

    > 2) If I attach a mouse (USB) to the port replicator, the mouse movement is
    > not smooth and inaccurate. It is OK if it is connected directly to the PC
    >
    > 3) If I connect the mouse to the PS/2 port of the replicator it works find,
    > but if I switch between my to PCs using my KVM switch, the mouse moves
    > erratically on the D800 when I switch back to that. I have never experienced
    > that before with my other PC's or laptops - so I suspect it is the port
    > replicator.
    >
    > Have anyone else the same experiences?
    >
    > If this can't be solved, I must insist on getting my money back, since it is
    > useless for serious work - especially considering the fair amount of money I
    > have paid for this machine.
    >
    > Sincerely
    > Morten
    > mhp at dadlnet dot dk

    On a new computer after the system and apps are installed for the first
    time, it is always a very good idea to run Disk Cleanup and Disk
    Defragmenter. In addition, I have found (one or two is not a
    statistic!) the running system file checker from a command prompt is
    also good for a new computer. From a command prompt:
    sfc[space]/scannow[enter]. Sfc will check all system files and replace
    anything missing or corrupt.

    Additionally, it is a very good practice to check for driver updates at
    the vendor site. Many out-of-the-box problems are resolved with driver
    updates.

    Improving the performance of a new computer also requires examination of
    the startup applications since the vendor loads up anything and
    everything that can autostart. From the run command:msconfig[enter],
    select the startup tab. Review each application listed and uncheck what
    is not necessary. Make a note of the applications you uncheck, and open
    that application directly. Look for a tools or preferences menu that
    will disable the autostart permanently. Use this site as a guide for
    startup applications: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

    I have yet to see any new computer that cannot be measureably improved
    with the above.

    Mymachine crashed 2 weeks after I recieved it. Couldn't get it to boot.
    Something about dirty NTFS on bootup. I store data on network drives, so it
    wasn't a big deal. Totally reformated and installed Windows and now it runs
    heaps better than when I recieved it. Machine was taking 4-5 mins to boot
    now it is less than 1

    Inspiron 8600 1.6 Ghz - I think they image they use is never up to date or
    100% correct.

    If ever get another (probably will), I'll scratch it and start from fresh
    right away - installing all the latest drivers and utiliities that I do
    require, ditching the junk I'd never use anyways.

    "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenth_planet.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > the vendor site. Many out-of-the-box problems are resolved with driver
    > updates.
    >
    > Improving the performance of a new computer also requires examination of
    > the startup applications since the vendor loads up anything and
    > everything that can autostart. From the run command:msconfig[enter],
    > select the startup tab. Review each application listed and uncheck what
    > is not necessary. Make a note of the applications you uncheck, and open
    > that application directly. Look for a tools or preferences menu that
    > will disable the autostart permanently. Use this site as a guide for
    > startup applications: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
    >
    > I have yet to see any new computer that cannot be measureably improved
    > with the above.

    > There should be a setting for touch sensitivity - increase it. Also,

    Did that.

    > the setting for precision is ambiguous on some computers. Unchecking
    > makes things better/worse depending on the computer.

    Yes, it doesn't help much in any setting.

    > Additionally, it is a very good practice to check for driver updates at
    > the vendor site. Many out-of-the-box problems are resolved with driver
    > updates.

    Did that too - also updated the bios.

    But thanks anyway.

    what make/model mouse? have you tried others?

    "Morten" <mhp at dadlnet dot dk> wrote in message
    > Just got a D800 with the port replicator. Got some problems.
    >
    > 1) The Alps touchpad is very imprecise - it reacts slowly (delay from my
    > finger moves to the pointer moves), and sometimes moves small jumps
    > backwards. I have optimized all the possible settings, but the performance
    > is way below that of my previous touchpads (synaptics)
    >
    > 2) If I attach a mouse (USB) to the port replicator, the mouse movement is
    > not smooth and inaccurate. It is OK if it is connected directly to the PC
    >
    > 3) If I connect the mouse to the PS/2 port of the replicator it works
    find,
    > but if I switch between my to PCs using my KVM switch, the mouse moves
    > erratically on the D800 when I switch back to that. I have never
    experienced
    > that before with my other PC's or laptops - so I suspect it is the port
    > replicator.
    >
    > Have anyone else the same experiences?
    >
    > If this can't be solved, I must insist on getting my money back, since it
    is
    > useless for serious work - especially considering the fair amount of money
    > have paid for this machine.
    >
    > Sincerely
    > Morten
    > mhp at dadlnet dot dk

    > what make/model mouse? have you tried others?
    A standard Logitech Pilot wheel mouse (PS/2)

    No, I haven't tried others. Never had any problems with this

    did you install the logitech drivers or use the windows defalt drivers?

    > > what make/model mouse? have you tried others?
    > A standard Logitech Pilot wheel mouse (PS/2)
    >
    > No, I haven't tried others. Never had any problems with this

  7. I have a C640. I love the synaptics touchpad :D It is very intuitive. My work offered to purchase me a D610. I found the touchpad to be down rite annoying :cry: I could not get the D610 to opeate nearly as accurately as the C640. I turn down the new laptop. I have found the Alps touchpad to not be user frendly. Also the infinite scroll feature with the synaptics is great. It allows you to have a scroll continue until you touching the pad again. The Alps touchpad does not have this feature and only seems to offer measured scrolling.
  8. SOLVED (disassembly REQUIRED!)

    The magnetic/static/acoustic shielding (LACK THERE OF!) around my alps caused my problem (as the HDD is RIGHT below the touch-pad and i have acoustic settings set to performance, ALSO I noticed the WIFI was part of the problem.) on my inspiron 1721 i had some spare shielding laying around so i stacked 2 layers pretty much EVERYWHERE surrounding the cage that houses the touchpad panel and around the ends of the cables. After boot up the issues are COMPLETELY gone. No more sketchy/dodgie, Jumping/delay, Now it just works ALL of the alps settings work.

    Hope this helps anyone out.

Dell Touchpad Mice Computers