Dell D800 Touchpad and mouse problems

morten

Just got a D800 with the port replicator. Got some problems.

1) The Alps touchpad is very imprecise - it reacts slowly (delay from my
finger moves to the pointer moves), and sometimes moves small jumps
backwards. I have optimized all the possible settings, but the performance
is way below that of my previous touchpads (synaptics)

2) If I attach a mouse (USB) to the port replicator, the mouse movement is
not smooth and inaccurate. It is OK if it is connected directly to the PC

3) If I connect the mouse to the PS/2 port of the replicator it works find,
but if I switch between my to PCs using my KVM switch, the mouse moves
erratically on the D800 when I switch back to that. I have never experienced
that before with my other PC's or laptops - so I suspect it is the port
replicator.

Have anyone else the same experiences?

If this can't be solved, I must insist on getting my money back, since it is
useless for serious work - especially considering the fair amount of money I
have paid for this machine.

Sincerely
Morten
mhp at dadlnet dot dk

Morten wrote:

> Just got a D800 with the port replicator. Got some problems.
>
> 1) The Alps touchpad is very imprecise - it reacts slowly (delay from my
> finger moves to the pointer moves), and sometimes moves small jumps
> backwards. I have optimized all the possible settings, but the performance
> is way below that of my previous touchpads (synaptics)

There should be a setting for touch sensitivity - increase it. Also,
the setting for precision is ambiguous on some computers. Unchecking
makes things better/worse depending on the computer.

> 2) If I attach a mouse (USB) to the port replicator, the mouse movement is
> not smooth and inaccurate. It is OK if it is connected directly to the PC
>
> 3) If I connect the mouse to the PS/2 port of the replicator it works find,
> but if I switch between my to PCs using my KVM switch, the mouse moves
> erratically on the D800 when I switch back to that. I have never experienced
> that before with my other PC's or laptops - so I suspect it is the port
> replicator.
>
> Have anyone else the same experiences?
>
> If this can't be solved, I must insist on getting my money back, since it is
> useless for serious work - especially considering the fair amount of money I
> have paid for this machine.
>
> Sincerely
> Morten
> mhp at dadlnet dot dk

On a new computer after the system and apps are installed for the first
time, it is always a very good idea to run Disk Cleanup and Disk
Defragmenter. In addition, I have found (one or two is not a
statistic!) the running system file checker from a command prompt is
also good for a new computer. From a command prompt:
sfc[space]/scannow[enter]. Sfc will check all system files and replace
anything missing or corrupt.

Additionally, it is a very good practice to check for driver updates at
the vendor site. Many out-of-the-box problems are resolved with driver
updates.

Improving the performance of a new computer also requires examination of
the startup applications since the vendor loads up anything and
everything that can autostart. From the run command:msconfig[enter],
select the startup tab. Review each application listed and uncheck what
is not necessary. Make a note of the applications you uncheck, and open
that application directly. Look for a tools or preferences menu that
will disable the autostart permanently. Use this site as a guide for
startup applications: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

I have yet to see any new computer that cannot be measureably improved
with the above.

gringo

Mymachine crashed 2 weeks after I recieved it. Couldn't get it to boot.
Something about dirty NTFS on bootup. I store data on network drives, so it
wasn't a big deal. Totally reformated and installed Windows and now it runs
heaps better than when I recieved it. Machine was taking 4-5 mins to boot
now it is less than 1

Inspiron 8600 1.6 Ghz - I think they image they use is never up to date or
100% correct.

If ever get another (probably will), I'll scratch it and start from fresh
right away - installing all the latest drivers and utiliities that I do
require, ditching the junk I'd never use anyways.

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenth_planet.net> wrote in message
> Morten wrote:
>
> > Just got a D800 with the port replicator. Got some problems.
> >
> > 1) The Alps touchpad is very imprecise - it reacts slowly (delay from my
> > finger moves to the pointer moves), and sometimes moves small jumps
> > backwards. I have optimized all the possible settings, but the
performance
> > is way below that of my previous touchpads (synaptics)
>
> There should be a setting for touch sensitivity - increase it. Also,
> the setting for precision is ambiguous on some computers. Unchecking
> makes things better/worse depending on the computer.
>
> > 2) If I attach a mouse (USB) to the port replicator, the mouse movement
is
> > not smooth and inaccurate. It is OK if it is connected directly to the
PC

> > 3) If I connect the mouse to the PS/2 port of the replicator it works
find,
> > but if I switch between my to PCs using my KVM switch, the mouse moves
> > erratically on the D800 when I switch back to that. I have never
experienced
> > that before with my other PC's or laptops - so I suspect it is the port
> > replicator.
> >
> > Have anyone else the same experiences?
> >
> > If this can't be solved, I must insist on getting my money back, since
it is
> > useless for serious work - especially considering the fair amount of
money I
> > have paid for this machine.
> >
> > Sincerely
> > Morten
> > mhp at dadlnet dot dk
> >

> On a new computer after the system and apps are installed for the first
> time, it is always a very good idea to run Disk Cleanup and Disk
> Defragmenter. In addition, I have found (one or two is not a
> statistic!) the running system file checker from a command prompt is
> also good for a new computer. From a command prompt:
> sfc[space]/scannow[enter]. Sfc will check all system files and replace
> anything missing or corrupt.
>
> Additionally, it is a very good practice to check for driver updates at
> the vendor site. Many out-of-the-box problems are resolved with driver
> updates.
>
> Improving the performance of a new computer also requires examination of
> the startup applications since the vendor loads up anything and
> everything that can autostart. From the run command:msconfig[enter],
> select the startup tab. Review each application listed and uncheck what
> is not necessary. Make a note of the applications you uncheck, and open
> that application directly. Look for a tools or preferences menu that
> will disable the autostart permanently. Use this site as a guide for
> startup applications: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
>
> I have yet to see any new computer that cannot be measureably improved
> with the above.

morten

> There should be a setting for touch sensitivity - increase it. Also,

Did that.

> the setting for precision is ambiguous on some computers. Unchecking
> makes things better/worse depending on the computer.

Yes, it doesn't help much in any setting.

> Additionally, it is a very good practice to check for driver updates at
> the vendor site. Many out-of-the-box problems are resolved with driver
> updates.

Did that too - also updated the bios.

But thanks anyway.

what make/model mouse? have you tried others?

"Morten" <mhp at dadlnet dot dk> wrote in message
> Just got a D800 with the port replicator. Got some problems.
>
> 1) The Alps touchpad is very imprecise - it reacts slowly (delay from my
> finger moves to the pointer moves), and sometimes moves small jumps
> backwards. I have optimized all the possible settings, but the performance
> is way below that of my previous touchpads (synaptics)
>
> 2) If I attach a mouse (USB) to the port replicator, the mouse movement is
> not smooth and inaccurate. It is OK if it is connected directly to the PC
>
> 3) If I connect the mouse to the PS/2 port of the replicator it works
find,
> but if I switch between my to PCs using my KVM switch, the mouse moves
> erratically on the D800 when I switch back to that. I have never
experienced
> that before with my other PC's or laptops - so I suspect it is the port
> replicator.
>
> Have anyone else the same experiences?
>
> If this can't be solved, I must insist on getting my money back, since it
is
> useless for serious work - especially considering the fair amount of money
> have paid for this machine.
>
> Sincerely
> Morten
> mhp at dadlnet dot dk

morten

> what make/model mouse? have you tried others?
A standard Logitech Pilot wheel mouse (PS/2)

No, I haven't tried others. Never had any problems with this

did you install the logitech drivers or use the windows defalt drivers?

> > what make/model mouse? have you tried others?
> A standard Logitech Pilot wheel mouse (PS/2)
>
> No, I haven't tried others. Never had any problems with this

KnightBlue

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I have a C640. I love the synaptics touchpad :D It is very intuitive. My work offered to purchase me a D610. I found the touchpad to be down rite annoying :cry: I could not get the D610 to opeate nearly as accurately as the C640. I turn down the new laptop. I have found the Alps touchpad to not be user frendly. Also the infinite scroll feature with the synaptics is great. It allows you to have a scroll continue until you touching the pad again. The Alps touchpad does not have this feature and only seems to offer measured scrolling.

dickincorp

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
SOLVED (disassembly REQUIRED!)

The magnetic/static/acoustic shielding (LACK THERE OF!) around my alps caused my problem (as the HDD is RIGHT below the touch-pad and i have acoustic settings set to performance, ALSO I noticed the WIFI was part of the problem.) on my inspiron 1721 i had some spare shielding laying around so i stacked 2 layers pretty much EVERYWHERE surrounding the cage that houses the touchpad panel and around the ends of the cables. After boot up the issues are COMPLETELY gone. No more sketchy/dodgie, Jumping/delay, Now it just works ALL of the alps settings work.

Hope this helps anyone out.