Recent Critical Update MN-700

A recent reply indicated that this update can only be
installed using a direct Ethernet cable connection. This
is extremely impractical since neither of my computers are
even in the same room as my MN-700 Base Station. What is
the purpose of a critical update if it's virtually
impossible to use? Secondly, I now get a pop-up screen
about the critical update everytime I turn on my computer
even though I can't use it. How do I get rid of this
annoyance? When will there be a critical update that can
be used wirelessly?
7 answers Last reply
More about recent critical update

    The reason you don't want to install a firmware update via wireless is
    because sometimes the signal will drop. This can kill the basestation.

    A wired connection doesn't have this problem. THat is why you have to
    install the firmware on a wired connection.

    You can just temporarily move the MN-700 next to one of the computers
    after downloading the update & install it that way.

    Coloradken wrote:

    > A recent reply indicated that this update can only be
    > installed using a direct Ethernet cable connection. This
    > is extremely impractical since neither of my computers are
    > even in the same room as my MN-700 Base Station. What is
    > the purpose of a critical update if it's virtually
    > impossible to use? Secondly, I now get a pop-up screen
    > about the critical update everytime I turn on my computer
    > even though I can't use it. How do I get rid of this
    > annoyance? When will there be a critical update that can
    > be used wirelessly?

    Again, Microsoft if you're listening -- would it be so
    hard to tell me this before I start updating? Why can
    this not be expressed on the
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/BroadbandNetworking/Auto
    Update2/CheckUpdates.asp page?

    So you want Microsoft to post all 5 million different possible causes of
    problems with a wireless connection in the update page.

    I may be exaggerating a bit, but that sounds like the only thing that
    would make you happy.

    That places to much information on one page & the vast majority of
    people will ignore it.

    joker wrote:
    > The reason you don't want to install a firmware update via wireless is
    > because sometimes the signal will drop. This can kill the
    > basestation.
    >
    > A wired connection doesn't have this problem. THat is why you have to
    > install the firmware on a wired connection.
    >
    > You can just temporarily move the MN-700 next to one of the computers
    > after downloading the update & install it that way.
    >
    > Coloradken wrote:
    >
    >> A recent reply indicated that this update can only be
    >> installed using a direct Ethernet cable connection. This
    >> is extremely impractical since neither of my computers are
    >> even in the same room as my MN-700 Base Station. What is
    >> the purpose of a critical update if it's virtually
    >> impossible to use? Secondly, I now get a pop-up screen
    >> about the critical update everytime I turn on my computer
    >> even though I can't use it. How do I get rid of this
    >> annoyance? When will there be a critical update that can
    >> be used wirelessly?

    Unplug your MN-700(from wall, from cable modem, etc.), carry it to
    one of your computers, install wired NIC, hook up MN-700, update MN-700. Put
    system
    back the way it was. Reconfigure if necessary.

    By the way, if you are networking desktops, you should be using
    wired connections. Wired connections are superior in almost every way
    (security, speed, reliability, etc.) except for portability. Desktops
    normally don't
    need to be portable. The only thing you save with wireless connections is
    setup trouble and cost, which is usually insignificant in the long run.

    Also: When will there be a critical update that can be installed
    wirelessly?

    The smart money is on never.

    1. We will probably never see another firmware update for the MN-700, since
    Microsoft doesn't make or sell them any more.

    2. Microsoft would be nuts to write an update so that you could install it
    that way. The wireless connection is too unreliable for such administrative
    tasks.
    This is in addition to any real, technical reasons that you wouldn't
    want to do it that way. Like that you couldn't update the firmware without
    dropping
    the wireless connection at some point any way.

    Hope this helps.

    Dick Kistler

    Jay wrote:
    > Again, Microsoft if you're listening -- would it be so
    > hard to tell me this before I start updating? Why can
    > this not be expressed on the
    > http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/BroadbandNetworking/Auto
    > Update2/CheckUpdates.asp page?

    Be honest, would Microsoft telling you ahead of time have made any
    difference?

    Nothing otherwise would have changed, and you have found out anyway.

    Maybe you would not have tried without installing a NIC, but the basestation
    was working anyhow, so you are no worse off.

    Dick

    Dick Kistler wrote:

    > joker wrote:
    >
    >>The reason you don't want to install a firmware update via wireless is
    >>because sometimes the signal will drop. This can kill the
    >>basestation.
    >>
    >>A wired connection doesn't have this problem. THat is why you have to
    >>install the firmware on a wired connection.
    >>
    >>You can just temporarily move the MN-700 next to one of the computers
    >>after downloading the update & install it that way.
    >>
    >>Coloradken wrote:
    >>

    >>>A recent reply indicated that this update can only be
    >>>installed using a direct Ethernet cable connection. This
    >>>is extremely impractical since neither of my computers are
    >>>even in the same room as my MN-700 Base Station. What is
    >>>the purpose of a critical update if it's virtually
    >>>impossible to use? Secondly, I now get a pop-up screen
    >>>about the critical update everytime I turn on my computer
    >>>even though I can't use it. How do I get rid of this
    >>>annoyance? When will there be a critical update that can
    >>>be used wirelessly?
    >

    > Unplug your MN-700(from wall, from cable modem, etc.), carry it to
    > one of your computers, install wired NIC, hook up MN-700, update MN-700. Put
    > system
    > back the way it was. Reconfigure if necessary.
    >
    > By the way, if you are networking desktops, you should be using
    > wired connections. Wired connections are superior in almost every way
    > (security, speed, reliability, etc.) except for portability. Desktops
    > normally don't
    > need to be portable. The only thing you save with wireless connections is
    > setup trouble and cost, which is usually insignificant in the long run.
    >
    > Also: When will there be a critical update that can be installed
    > wirelessly?
    >
    > The smart money is on never.

    You can install the manual update on the MN-500 via wireless at least on
    the 1.8.003 firmware & earlier. Once again Microsoft took the option
    away because they had units damaged by doing that. Thus they made the
    router more ID10T resistant, as you can never make a product 100% ID10T
    proof.

    > 1. We will probably never see another firmware update for the MN-700, since
    > Microsoft doesn't make or sell them any more.
    >
    > 2. Microsoft would be nuts to write an update so that you could install it
    > that way. The wireless connection is too unreliable for such administrative
    > tasks.
    > This is in addition to any real, technical reasons that you wouldn't
    > want to do it that way. Like that you couldn't update the firmware without
    > dropping
    > the wireless connection at some point any way.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Dick Kistler

    > You can install the manual update on the MN-500 via wireless at least
    > on the 1.8.003 firmware & earlier. Once again Microsoft took the
    > option away because they had units damaged by doing that. Thus they
    > made the router more ID10T resistant, as you can never make a
    > product 100% ID10T proof.

    Amen to that.

    Dick

Routers Networking