bill

How can I turn this Messenger service off. It's more annoying that pop up
ads. I'll remove every component and registry key I have to to stop this.
They are constantly poping up.

map

Bill wrote:
> How can I turn this Messenger service off. It's more annoying that
> pop up ads. I'll remove every component and registry key I have to to
> stop this. They are constantly poping up.

You need a firewall Dude!
http://smb.sygate.com/free/spf_download.php

After you install the firewall,messenger service can be shutoff in Admin
tools>services.

--
Mike Pawlak

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Bill wrote:

> How can I turn this Messenger service off. It's more annoying that pop up
> ads. I'll remove every component and registry key I have to to stop this.
> They are constantly poping up.

The fact that you are getting these messenger service adds is doing you
a favor. It's telling you you're system is open to the internet.
Install a firewall instead of turning off the messenger service.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Bill <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> How can I turn this Messenger service off. It's more annoying that pop
> up ads. I'll remove every component and registry key I have to to stop
> this. They are constantly poping up.

"Messenger Service window that contains an Internet advertisement
appears" http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330904

--
d-d

"MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Bill wrote:
> > How can I turn this Messenger service off. It's more annoying that
> > pop up ads. I'll remove every component and registry key I have to to
> > stop this. They are constantly poping up.
>
> You need a firewall Dude!
> http://smb.sygate.com/free/spf_download.php
>
> After you install the firewall,messenger service can be shutoff in Admin
> tools>services.
>
> --
> Mike Pawlak

I tried turning it off with system manager. They keep coming up.

Bill

mak

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001

Start | Run | services.msc | Enter

find messenger, set to disabled.

Or, better, install SP2 +all critical updates and enable XP Firewall.

"Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Start | Run | services.msc | Enter
>
> find messenger, set to disabled.
>
> Or, better, install SP2 +all critical updates and enable XP Firewall.

I'm not sure how to install SP2. I have SP1.

Bill