Messenger Service

How can I turn this Messenger service off. It's more annoying that pop up
ads. I'll remove every component and registry key I have to to stop this.
They are constantly poping up.
8 answers Last reply
More about messenger service

    Bill wrote:
    > How can I turn this Messenger service off. It's more annoying that
    > pop up ads. I'll remove every component and registry key I have to to
    > stop this. They are constantly poping up.

    You need a firewall Dude!
    http://smb.sygate.com/free/spf_download.php

    After you install the firewall,messenger service can be shutoff in Admin
    tools>services.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    Disabling Messenger Service in Windows XP:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/stopspam.mspx

    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Bill wrote:

    > How can I turn this Messenger service off. It's more annoying that pop up
    > ads. I'll remove every component and registry key I have to to stop this.
    > They are constantly poping up.

    The fact that you are getting these messenger service adds is doing you
    a favor. It's telling you you're system is open to the internet.
    Install a firewall instead of turning off the messenger service.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Bill <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > How can I turn this Messenger service off. It's more annoying that pop
    > up ads. I'll remove every component and registry key I have to to stop
    > this. They are constantly poping up.

    "Messenger Service window that contains an Internet advertisement
    appears" http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330904

    --
    d-d

    "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Bill wrote:
    > > How can I turn this Messenger service off. It's more annoying that
    > > pop up ads. I'll remove every component and registry key I have to to
    > > stop this. They are constantly poping up.
    >
    > You need a firewall Dude!
    > http://smb.sygate.com/free/spf_download.php
    >
    > After you install the firewall,messenger service can be shutoff in Admin
    > tools>services.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Pawlak

    I tried turning it off with system manager. They keep coming up.

    Bill

    Start | Run | services.msc | Enter

    find messenger, set to disabled.

    Or, better, install SP2 +all critical updates and enable XP Firewall.

    "Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Start | Run | services.msc | Enter
    >
    > find messenger, set to disabled.
    >
    > Or, better, install SP2 +all critical updates and enable XP Firewall.

    I'm not sure how to install SP2. I have SP1.

    Bill

    How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306525

    --

    Bill Cunningham wrote:
    > I'm not sure how to install SP2. I have SP1.

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP