Aavin

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
Hi Everyone,

After finally deciding it is time to get a new computer, I am tired of dealing with the likes of Dell. So, I started reading the how to information on Tom's and have read alot of the postings on the CPU forum. I wanted to get some opinions on a setup that may work,and since I am a newbie to this, please excuse if I don't use the correct terminology.

First, this will be a home computer, but I may use it for work as well (accounting systems running off of SQL Server).

This is what I have so far:

Case: Cooler Master TC-220B-AX1
PSU: Enrmax EG465P-VE(FC) 431W Power supply fo AMD K7
Mobo: ASUS A7V8X
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2400/266 FSB (Retail Box)
CD/DVD (RW drive): Lite On 52x24x52 (on sale item)
HardDives: WD 80 GB (3 of these)
Memory:Kingston 512MB 32x64PC2700 DDR Ram

Also, wanted to check if I am missing anything? I think I need 3 ATA cables, I put in the 10 inch ones.

Does anyone see anything I am missing, or any compatability/ stability issues?

Also, I was going to order online at newegg.com, since I went to Fry's and the prices on most items were higher. Anyone have any experience with newegg?

Thanks for all your help!

Aavin

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
go for asus a7N8x rather than the a7v8x coz the nforce 2 chipset is much more stable and better performing than the via kt 400.If you get this mobo you should get two sticks of 256mb RAM to take advantage of dual channel memory.Might wanna get some better RAM than kingston-corsair if you can afford it.
Never used newegg myself coz i am in uk but everyone on here seems to get there stuff there.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

RCPilot

Champion
If you do a search you'll see the A7N8X has bad BIOS problem right now especially with dual channel RAM. His choice is better.

Signature, I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
i thought the problem was with single channel?Oh well, any of the other nforce 2 mobos should be better than a7v8x don't you think- Epox EP-8RDA+, Abit NF7-S, Chaintech A7NJL.I haven't heard about any similar problems with them but please let me know.

RCPilot

Champion
Yea, I haven't heard of to many problems with the others. I think that's because everyone is getting the A7N8X. What's wrong with the A7V8X?

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
I buy from either newegg or googlegear. Never had a problem with either one.

Old age is a hoax.. Turns out to only be a severe back problem.

Aavin

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
Hi All,

Thanks for the help on this one! I'm sure I'll be writing again if I get into problems. This is an excellent forum.

Best,

Aavin

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
re: what's wrong with the a7v8x?
Well, i have no experience with the board but it seems to be widely agreed that the Via KT400 chipset, which is on this board, is a pile of s**t.The board, being an asus, is probably one of the best of the KT400 boards but people do say that the chipset is no good.As i said though, i have never used a kt400 board myself but other people say bad things about them so i would avoid them.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
do a search on here for kt 400 and you'll see what they are all saying.It is widely agreed that the nforce 2 is much better.As for what is wrong with kt400, it seems that the main issue is that it offers no benefit over kt333 since it does not give any better peformance with ddr400 than ddr333.Not so much a bad chipset it seems as a pointless one.There are people though who have issues with via chipsets' stability in general but i am using a kt333 mobo and have had no problems.

RCPilot

Champion
I did do the search & a lot of the posts are yours & mine. I'm not trying to argue at all. Either search I do KT400 or A7N8X I only see 25 posts & I know there more, but that's what I have mine set to, 25. I didn't touch the 333 at all. I know they are getting rare now because of the 400 & Nforce. Have you built both of them? I have. The Nforce in single DDR is fine. Dual real iffy. When the BIOS catches this will all be a moot point. I guess that's about it. I also haven't dealt with the 333 fsb yet, so that might change things as well, I don't have experience with those chips.

All I'm trying to do is give my honest answer & I believe so are you.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
were you searching under 'motherboards and chipsets' coz the default is cpus so you have to change it?
Doesn't matter anyway- as i said i haven't got personal experience of either (i have only ever used kt266+kt333+nforce 220D up to now)- my info is all based on what i have read on here and elsewhere.Don't think the memory problem is so much an nforce 2 thing as just an a7n8x thing coz i aint heard of any problems with the others, even the fairly popular ones like EPox Ep-8RDA+.
If you have used both nforce2 and kt400 then your judgement is obviously better than mine on this but you understand that i have only formed my opinion with the information that has been available to me,something which we all have to do when we cannot physically test things for ourselves.
Well, thanks coz it's opinions like yours which allow me to learn and make a more informed decision about things which is what thgc is all about for me.

RCPilot

Champion
That's cool. I sure don't know it all I'll tell you, hence my sig.

Look forward to following the forum & learning more, same as you.

Cya

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Get a nForce2 mobo. If you don't need fancy features of ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, then go for MSI K7N2-L. Much cheaper than ASUS A7N8X (non-Deluxe).

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26708#26708" target="_new"> Go to my CPU Vendor Poll </A>