Sign in with
Your question

Help! Upgarding a PII to Celeron on an ASUS P2B

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2003 11:50:03 PM

Two days before tomshardware posted a review/info piece on slot 1 to socket 370 adapters I ordered one from upgradeware. (It just arrived today)

This may have been a mistake...

I am running a PII-400 on an ASUS P2B rev 1.02 motherboard. I am trying to install the Slot-T adapter with a 1.4 GHz Celeron on it.

I have upgraded the BIOS to revision 1.014 Beta 3 (Newest and most recommended).

Once everything is installed and I fire up the system I get nothing. The ATX power supply turns on, but I get no POST. All I get is the hum of the Power supply, but no power to the board. This is the same reaction the board has if there is no CPU installed...

I have also set all the BIOS settings to ignore the voltage settings (ie. disable hardware monitoring). But I don't think that this matters at all until I get power actually flowing.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions about either what I'm missing, or a possible workaround for this. I had a hard enough time convincing the wife to let me buy these parts - they HAVE to work!
January 14, 2003 12:40:09 AM

I believe you'll need a rev 1.10 P2B board to use the upgradeware slocket because the earlier P2B boards can't run at a low enough voltage for the Tualatin :frown: . (Technical explanation: Your rev 1.02 P2B will only be VRM 8.3 compliant, and you need a VRM 8.4 board for the upgradeware slocket)

<A HREF="http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/slot-t/compa..." target="_new">http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/slot-t/compa...;/A>

The PowerLeap slocket is the only solution that will work on VRM 8.3 boards since it has its own voltage regulator.

As for workarounds, try setting the slocket to 1.65v. Some later VRM 8.3 boards would go down to 1.65v and this should be safe for the processor - just keep an eye on the CPU temperature. You may need a decent heatsink/fan to do this.

Your only other option (which I don't recommend unless you really know what you're getting into) is to set the slocket for 1.80v. This will of course run your CPU at 1.80 vCore, which will reduce its life. You will need a very good cooling solution as well.

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.74 i815*
January 14, 2003 1:32:03 AM

I've been reading everything I can find about this - I may have to run it up to 1.8 V. But I don't have any temperature sensors. Plus i'm not sure about FSB settings after changing this. Oh how I wish I'd waited 2 more days... :( 
Related resources
January 14, 2003 1:35:48 AM

I run my Celeron 1.2 at 1.775v (and at 1.76ghz) with just a half decent heatsink so it is possible.

There will be a five digit code on the chip that starts with either SL5__ or SL6__. If it's an SL6__ you'll have better luck running it at high voltages.

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.74 i815*
January 14, 2003 2:24:24 AM

It's a SL68G... I'm going to have to go find some sort of temperature sensor tommorow. I hope the standard Intel heat sink is going to be good enough. If not I will have to spend more on that too.

And I thought that this was a cheap and easy thing to do...
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2003 3:43:18 AM

Beware! Several people have found out about "Sudden CPU death syndrome" when running their Intel .13 micron CPU's at voltages of as little at 1.75V! I have a Powerleap adapter I'll sell you cheap. Seriously, you can get out of this situation, I'll even give you some trade in value on your Upgradeware adapter. How can I do this? I buy and sell used boards at a profit, stay clear of early VRM boards, and one of my clients will surely buy the Upgradeware adapter!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 14, 2003 5:30:05 PM

That sounds like a much better idea than spending money on a temperature sensor and better heat sink. I sent you a PM.
!