AMD K6-2+ & Asus P55T2P4

frazway

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
RE: Article: Socket7 Tuning: Asus P55T2P4 with AMD K6-2+

I have the Asus P55T2P4 Rev 3.1 motherboard. I read the above article and decided to buy an AMD K6-2+ 450 CPU to try it out.

It worked at first, but the voltage regulators are running really hot to the point where I burned my finger. I assume this extreme heat is not good for the motherboard.

I have a good CPU heat sink, and a second case fan blowing over the voltage regulators but it does not seem to help.

I followed the jumper setting in Toms article.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing the voltage regulators to overheat like that, and what I can do to fix the situation? I am worried that I will will burnout the CPU and motherboard.

The only unusual thing is that when I ran Sisoft Sandra, the CPU shows as a K6 III.

Thank you for any advice,

Frazway

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could always add heatsinks to them! I've never seen one actually get smoked, but if it worries you, attach a heatsink!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

frazway

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
Hi Crashman,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Can you buy the heat sinks (three of them) or would I have to custom make the heat sinks?

However, I may be too late to do anything as last night some major smoke came from my motherboard and I could no longer boot up.

A lesson learned I guess.

I appreciate the help.

Frazway

mvsiangco

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
you could also try to check the rating of your power supply. overheating could mean too much current is flowing into that component. have you rechecked the jumper settings for voltages on your motherboard?

mvsiangco

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Radio Shack sells some, I pull them off transistors when I throw things away...Ooops, sorry, my bad.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>