vegandago

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
Ok, I received an excellent deal from Intel that i just could not pass up. It was a 2.53ghz with d845pebt2 mb and winxp pro for $175.

I have had this computer running for a little over a month with 512mb corsair pc2700 and a 9700pro. I am very very happy with it currently but I feel the mb, although extremely stable, might be a considerable bottleneck in performance. Down the road I think I want to consider swapping out the board for one with more features and better performance and maybe doing some OCing. Any suggestions???

How far can the 2.53 be overclocked reasonably on a stock hsf??? i have an antec 1080amg case with lots of room for fans and great airflow.

I'm talking about doing this maybe 6 mos to a year from now or something when prices are way down and when there are many new features out such as stable agp 8x and ddr2 or just dual channel for p4.

just curious what features would be worth waiting for etc?

"There is no dark or light side, only power and those too weak to seek it."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vegandago on 01/14/03 12:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
MAN, I dont know who you know at intel, but I want to meet them, geting P4 2.53 and windows xp pro for $175, and I wouldn't care if they mounted it on a cardboard box (basicly they did:)$175 is about the cost of the 2400+.
that should give you a little spending $$$ to get some pc1066

YAhhhhhhh!!! Jan 27! Advance geforce fx seeing with Steve Molnar!!!!!!!! -you see, sticking with boy scouts finely paid off -mom

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wait for reviews on the SiS 655 chipsets boards, you can use dual channel PC2700 on them, and they have the potential to outperform the Intel Granit Bay chipset.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

vegandago

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
if you work for any major retailer that sells computers or components ie best buy, officemax, staples, compusa, etc etc you were eligible to get the deal. :)

"There is no dark or light side, only power and those too weak to seek it."

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
<<<Wait for reviews on the SiS 655 chipsets boards, you can use dual channel PC2700 on them, and they have the potential to outperform the Intel Granit Bay chipset.>>>
yeah what a great way to screw up a intel system... put it on a sis chipset. i can hardly wait.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SiS has proven themselves to be the makers of a fine product. Starting with the 735 which was superior to the then current KT266, following with further revisions like the 645 which was faster, just as stable, and more powerfull than the original i845E, and further followed by the super fast 648. Boards such as the Asus P4S533 prove the worth of SiS, boards such as the GA-8SG667 prove they are continuing as performance leaders. You can't blame SiS for Asus screwing up the P4S8X when the 8SG667 has no such problems on the same chipset.

Now if you want to talk about their crappy integrated chipsets, just remember what market those things are made for-the junk trade-and they don't seem that bad considering what else is available in that market.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>