single click in explorer annoys me

Hi, in windows xp professional's explorer the left pane shows the
directory-tree structure, and the right pane shows the files in the selected
directory.

When I run the mouse over the directory-tree I can see that the tree items
become highlighted with an underline. By single-clicking on a directory item
in the tree that item is expanded in the left pane (so the subdirectories
are shown), and the contents are displayed in the right hand pane.

Is it possible to stop the subdirectory expansion in the left hand pane?

I just want to select the directory there, not see a list of all the
subdirectories with a single click. On the other hand, with a double-click I
would like the expansion of subdirectories to occur. Is this at all possible
in XP?

Thanks
Peter

"Peter Kirk" <pk@alpha-solutions.dk> skrev i en meddelelse
<snip>
> Is it possible to stop the subdirectory expansion in the left hand pane?
>
> I just want to select the directory there, not see a list of all the
> subdirectories with a single click. On the other hand, with a double-click
> I would like the expansion of subdirectories to occur. Is this at all
> possible in XP?

Well I found the option I wanted! Cool.

unselect this option:
funktioner->mappeindstillinger->vis->vis enkel mappevisninger i Stifinders
mappe liste

probable translates to something like:
functions->folder configuration->show->show simple directory display i
explorers folder list

(I have a danish windows and don't know the correct translations to
english).

Peter

Description of Simple Folder View in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282002

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org