HP 9000 C110 Hard Drive Question

Hi Folks,

I need to do a small project on HP-UX, and I have an HP-9000 C110 system
that I can use for this purpose.

Unfortunately the system's internal HD is only 2.2 GB, and I need it to
be at least 12 GB for this task. I looked up the number of the internal
drive, and it's a 50 pin SCSI-2 SE (single ended) model.

I have an 18 GB, 68 pin, SCSI-3, Ultra 160 SE drive, and a 68 pin to 50
pin cable adapter. I was wondering if anyone knows whether there's a
limitation that would keep this adapted drive from working properly in
the C110.

I could just plug it in and see what happens, but I wanted to see if
anyone knew whether this would work in advance.

Thanks for any pointers!

-dreq

On the seventh day, Derek Mark Edding wrote...

> I need to do a small project on HP-UX, and I have an HP-9000 C110 system
> that I can use for this purpose.
>
> Unfortunately the system's internal HD is only 2.2 GB, and I need it to
> be at least 12 GB for this task. I looked up the number of the internal
> drive, and it's a 50 pin SCSI-2 SE (single ended) model.
>
> I have an 18 GB, 68 pin, SCSI-3, Ultra 160 SE drive, and a 68 pin to 50
> pin cable adapter. I was wondering if anyone knows whether there's a
> limitation that would keep this adapted drive from working properly in
> the C110.
>
> I could just plug it in and see what happens, but I wanted to see if
> anyone knew whether this would work in advance.
>
> Thanks for any pointers!

-the adapter has to terminate the high 8 bits
-the cable has to be terminated since U160 devices don't come with internal
termination
-doublecheck the drive is SE
-is there enough room for hdd and adapter?

Note that I dont have any experiences with the 9000 so my advice is of
general nature.

You carry the fate of us all little one. - Boromir

Christian Dürrhauer wrote:
> -the adapter has to terminate the high 8 bits
> -the cable has to be terminated since U160 devices don't come with internal
> termination
> -doublecheck the drive is SE
> -is there enough room for hdd and adapter?
>
> Note that I dont have any experiences with the 9000 so my advice is of
> general nature.

Hello Christian,

The drive worked fine. It is a Quantum Atlas V series (now supported by
Maxtor). It has jumper settings to enforce SE, it also supports LVD. I
added this jumper, and another one to force narrow SCSI transfers. The
drive did not require termination; it works very well without it.

I used this drive in place of the original internal drive in the system
and did a new HP-UX install. It needed to be set to SCSI ID 6 like the
original drive, but the system had no trouble recognizing and using it.

Thanks for the pointers,

-dreq

TRENDING THREADS