I can't not set home page in Internet Explorer

I use windows xp professinal edition. Now I got a problem that I can't not
set homepage in it. when I try the input a http address in homepage setting
box, it will be come back to about blank status. I have try to edit windows
registry to solve the problem, but I don't know which entry I should edit it.
I only know that under Current user\software\microsoft\internet
explorer\main\homepage to set a new homepage entry. But it doesn't work after
I close the registry editor. It seems I cann't change homepage setting. Can
someone can tell me in which location I should modify the registry key so
that I can set homepage.
thanks a lot!
4 answers Last reply
More about home page internet explorer

    "lasso" <lasso@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I use windows xp professinal edition. Now I got a problem that I
    > can't not set homepage in it. when I try the input a http address in
    > homepage setting box, it will be come back to about blank status. I
    > have try to edit windows registry to solve the problem, but I don't
    > know which entry I should edit it. I only know that under Current
    > user\software\microsoft\internet explorer\main\homepage to set a new
    > homepage entry. But it doesn't work after I close the registry
    > editor. It seems I cann't change homepage setting. Can someone can
    > tell me in which location I should modify the registry key so that I
    > can set homepage.
    > thanks a lot!

    From http://www.fjsmjs.com/IE/homepage.htm

    If you have SpyBot S&D installed, go to the "Immunize" section.
    Is "Lock IE Start Page Settings" ticked?
    If so, uncheck it.

    If that is not the problem, get and run these programs (if you test after
    each one you can stop when the problem is gone):
    Ad-Aware:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Once installed make sure to update via online before scanning!
    and
    Spybot - Search & Destroy -
    http://security.kolla.de/
    http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/
    Once installed make sure to update via online before scanning!
    and
    BHO Demon: http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/bhod/

    Until the problem is solved.

    If you still have problems, some ISP's provide a customized version of IE.
    Some Web pages will also reset your home page and do this. One of the
    customizations they might make is to disable the ability to change the home
    page, so that you are forced to use their home page. You can re-enable this
    by making a small change in the Windows registry.

    In Regedit, navigate to this key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control
    Panel

    In the right-hand pane, right-click the "HomePage" value, then select
    Modify. Change it to: 00 00 00 00

    Also change either or these to zero 0 instead of 1 if present:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    - DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\Restrictions] - DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001

    If you don't have this key, browse to:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

    and in the right hand pane, double click "Local Page" and set equal to
    "C:\WINDOWS\System\blank.htm" (no quotes) which will hopefully set your Home
    Page to blank and then allow you to subsequently modify it using Internet
    Options.

    Exit regedit and reboot.

    When you reboot, you should be able to change the home page again.

    Some pages will also download a program which keeps changing it back. Go to
    Start | Run and type:
    msconfig
    and press <Enter> or click OK. Go to the Startup tab.
    See if you can identify any suspicious programs. If you can, uncheck it, If
    you can't, change the home page to what you want and then uncheck one and
    then reboot. Try IE. If the Web page changed, change it back and then try
    msconfig again, rechecking the last one and unchecking the next. Keep doing
    this until you find the culprit.

    You might also want to look at this little program. I haven't tried it, but
    I've read encouraging reports:

    http://www.pjwalczak.com/spguard/

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Home page setting changes unexpectedly, or you cannot change your home page setting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320159

    --
    Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
    http://office.microsoft.com/
    "lasso" <lasso@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I use windows xp professinal edition. Now I got a problem that I can't not
    > set homepage in it. when I try the input a http address in homepage setting
    > box, it will be come back to about blank status. I have try to edit windows
    > registry to solve the problem, but I don't know which entry I should edit it.
    > I only know that under Current user\software\microsoft\internet
    > explorer\main\homepage to set a new homepage entry. But it doesn't work after
    > I close the registry editor. It seems I cann't change homepage setting. Can
    > someone can tell me in which location I should modify the registry key so
    > that I can set homepage.
    > thanks a lot!

    thanks

    “Frank Saunders, MS-MVP�编写:

> [...]
    > Page to blank and then allow you to subsequently modify it using Internet
    > Options.
    >
    > Exit regedit and reboot.
    >
    > When you reboot, you should be able to change the home page again.
    >
    > Some pages will also download a program which keeps changing it back. Go to
    > Start | Run and type:
    > msconfig
    > and press <Enter> or click OK. Go to the Startup tab.
    > See if you can identify any suspicious programs. If you can, uncheck it, If
    > you can't, change the home page to what you want and then uncheck one and
    > then reboot. Try IE. If the Web page changed, change it back and then try
    > msconfig again, rechecking the last one and unchecking the next. Keep doing
    > this until you find the culprit.
    >

    > You might also want to look at this little program. I haven't tried it, but

    Sounds like you have spyware. Get a powerful anti virus software like
    McAfee and scan your pc
    You should be able to set the homepage afterwards.

    Peace

Internet Explorer Microsoft Registry Windows XP