Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 install wont work.

Last response: in Windows 7
October 12, 2012 1:11:57 AM

Hi, I'm trying to install windows 7 again after getting a new Mobo, CPU, and RAM.

I'm using a HDD that already has windows on it, but I have to fresh install again.

The problem is, whenever I use any kind of W7 disc, it loads the files, gets to the "starting windows" screen, and then re-boots.

Relevant info:

Core i5 2300
AsRock z68 Extreme4 Gen3
2x4GB Patriot Viper 3 1600mhz
WD Caviar blue HDD
Acer OEM DVD player

What I've tried:

New DVD player
New DVD
New RAM
IDE/ACHA modes
New HDD
XP disc (It would work actualy)

What could be:

CPU is bad
Mobo is bad
Somethings not set up right
None of the tested RAM is compatible

Please help, thanks.
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2012 1:20:19 AM

Hi :) 

You ARE formatting BEFORE you try and install 7 ???

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
October 12, 2012 1:22:00 AM

Brett928S2 said:

You ARE formatting BEFORE you try and install 7 ???

I'm going to re-format my drive, and clean install when the installation takes place.

But the windows 7 install cant even reach the setup :c
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2012 1:25:16 AM

You BOOT from the 7 DVD.... NOT do it in WINDOWS...

m
l
October 12, 2012 1:27:20 AM

Brett928S2 said:

You BOOT from the 7 DVD.... NOT do it in WINDOWS...

I am booting from DVD,

I've tried 3, none of them work, one was Windows 7 disc, one was OEM disc, and one burnt disc.
m
l
October 12, 2012 1:31:59 AM

Quote:
You might need to re download it again, might be a corrupt file. Then reburn the .iso

I've tried 4 diffrent DVD's :/ 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2012 1:32:37 AM

You bought a digital copy copy of Windows 7?
m
l
October 12, 2012 1:34:16 AM

edogawa said:
You bought a digital copy copy of Windows 7?

I have 4 DVD's

7 HP 64bit - OEM disc that came with my other computer.

7 HP 32bit - Burnt disc

7 Ultimate - I bought

7 Professional - Came with my work

None of these work, same issue.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2012 1:42:14 AM

austing said:
I do not have a USB drive, can I use a USB HDD as an install?

I'm actually not sure, if it's empty, try it. I bet there is a way though, never tried that myself.
m
l
October 12, 2012 1:45:17 AM

edogawa said:
I'm actually not sure, if it's empty, try it. I bet there is a way though, never tried that myself.

Note that I cannot boot the windows that is currently on the HDD, because I got a new motherboard, and you HAVE to re-format it each time you switch motherboards.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2012 1:51:26 AM

austing said:
Note that I cannot boot the windows that is currently on the HDD, because I got a new motherboard, and you HAVE to re-format it each time you switch motherboards.

You don't technically have to, but you should. Try using one stick of memory and reset bios too.
m
l
October 12, 2012 1:54:02 AM

edogawa said:
You don't technically have to, but you should.

Well, the HDD will not boot, it just re-starts, if I could just keep using the installation thats on it, I would.

I tried booting the portable USB harddrive, no luck, it just reboots instead of loading.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2012 1:58:20 AM

austing said:
Well, the HDD will not boot, it just re-starts, if I could just keep using the installation thats on it, I would.

I tried booting the portable USB harddrive, no luck, it just reboots instead of loading.

Well, your options are:

* http://memtest.org/
* Stripping down the PC and putting it all back together carfully.
* CMOS reset
* Testing one stick of memory at a time to see if it will install Windows 7 using only one.
* Make sure AHCI is enabled in bios.

You could try connecting the external HDD and installing Windows onto it to see if the other hard drive is faulty or has some issue.

If all the DVDs failed I doubt it's those. You did install CPU power cable in firmly right?
m
l
October 12, 2012 2:09:45 AM

Well, your options are:

* http://memtest.org/ -did that
* Stripping down the PC and putting it all back together carfully. - What I'm about to do.
* CMOS reset - Tried, sevral times
* Testing one stick of memory at a time to see if it will install Windows 7 using only one. - did that.
* Make sure AHCI is enabled in bios. - Used both AHCI and IDE functions

You could try connecting the external HDD and installing Windows onto it to see if the other hard drive is faulty or has some issue. - If I could get the install to work to even try that. I could try to install windows onto the external, but I have other files on that I would rather not mess with.

If all the DVDs failed I doubt it's those. You did install CPU power cable in firmly right? - I'll re-fit everything.
m
l
October 12, 2012 2:41:14 AM

I re-fitted everything, and still same problem....

Could it be the motherboard?

I re-assembled everything, and STILL it re-boots when it gets to the "Loading Windows" screen after it loads all the files.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2012 3:07:05 AM

Things to try:

1. burn UBCD www.ultimatebootcd.com
2. boot to the disk (BIOS CD/DVD first in boot order) and run Active KillDisk and WRITE ZEROS to the hard drive

Other:
- motherboard BIOS update if possible
- test on a different spare drive if possible
- run MEMTEST from UBCD (can also burn to CD or USB drive from www.memtest.org )
m
l
October 12, 2012 3:17:59 AM

photonboy said:
Things to try:

1. burn UBCD www.ultimatebootcd.com
2. boot to the disk (BIOS CD/DVD first in boot order) and run Active KillDisk and WRITE ZEROS to the hard drive

Other:
- motherboard BIOS update if possible
- test on a different spare drive if possible
- run MEMTEST from UBCD (can also burn to CD or USB drive from www.memtest.org )

The problem really isnt the harddrive, its getting the 7 installation to boot properly

Memtest was ok.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2012 3:41:45 AM

austing said:
The problem really isnt the harddrive, its getting the 7 installation to boot properly

Memtest was ok.

Try using Windows XP disk to format the drive, then load the Windows 7 disk.

Also, unplug all the hard drives SATA cables and attempt to load the Windows 7 installation, if that works, plug in the SATA cable while while in the setup.
m
l
October 12, 2012 3:59:58 AM

edogawa said:
Try using Windows XP disk to format the drive, then load the Windows 7 disk.

Also, unplug all the hard drives SATA cables and attempt to load the Windows 7 installation, if that works, plug in the SATA cable while while in the setup.

I dont think that the HDD has any effect on the booting of the install disk.

I've tried another HDD and same problem.
m
l
!