HP Omni Book XE3

I have an OmniBook XE3 that will not boot up. The only thing happening
is the black screen has a dash with a check mark above it. Once I
change the boot sequence to the CD Rom with the restore disk in it
and it goes through the process up to "everything on the disk will be
restored to factory condition" a message stating "Error encountered
while creating save to disk partition" Under that the prompt is
directed to X:\tools\S2D. Can anyone out there give me some guidance
to the fix?

On the seventh day, Terry Schmille wrote...

> I have an OmniBook XE3 that will not boot up. The only thing happening
> is the black screen has a dash with a check mark above it. Once I
> change the boot sequence to the CD Rom with the restore disk in it
> and it goes through the process up to "everything on the disk will be
> restored to factory condition" a message stating "Error encountered
> while creating save to disk partition" Under that the prompt is
> directed to X:\tools\S2D. Can anyone out there give me some guidance
> to the fix?

That could be pretty much anything. Some pointers to check:
-make sure the memory is installed properly and is working normally (run
memtest86 for at least one straight night! There mustn*t be any error.)
->may be RAM

-check whether the CPU, fan/hsf combo is dust-free
->may be overheating

-check your cd drive by booting from a live linux cd such as a knoppix
based one.
->may be read errors

-check your hdd by running "smartctl -a /dev/hda" (minus quotes) from
inside a knoppix based live linux cd or insert from the Ultimate Boot CD
(which always comes handy). "knoppix 2" should be everything you need to
boot.
->may be hdd error

HTH

You carry the fate of us all little one. - Boromir

"Terry Schmille" <trspcsi@hot.rr-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I have an OmniBook XE3 that will not boot up. The only thing happening
> is the black screen has a dash with a check mark above it. Once I
> change the boot sequence to the CD Rom with the restore disk in it
> and it goes through the process up to "everything on the disk will be
> restored to factory condition" a message stating "Error encountered
> while creating save to disk partition" Under that the prompt is
> directed to X:\tools\S2D. Can anyone out there give me some guidance
> to the fix?

Sounds like the hard drive has failed. The CD had to write to the hard
drive and this process failed. You were stuck on the \tools\s2d folder on
the CD drive.

Can you boot to a floppy or run fdisk off the recovery CD? That will tell
you if the drive is working.

Doug