Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Wireless Home Alarm Systems ?

Last response: in Other Consumer Electronics
October 25, 2011 5:21:17 PM

I am buying a new home and the builder failed to wire for a burglar alarm. He suggested using a company that uses a Honeywell Wireless alarm system.

Either way installation is on me (fail on my part). Are the wireless alarm systems reliable? If so would I (network engineer of 12 years) be able to do an install on my own?

My concerns are primarily with distance from window to window and battery life.

Thanks to anyone who has a suggestion.

-- Fletch

Best solution

October 26, 2011 3:59:46 AM

I installed wireless security system for my family business.

It works perfectly, no problem with range. But the shop is not that big.

One thing you can do is to place the sensor on where you want it to be, but do not fixed it on the wall with screws yet. Then turn the security on and trigger the sensor. If it starts beeping, then it works and quickly turn it off (don't want it to call the security!!).

But you have to remember to replace the battery on the IR sensor and stuff like that.

With your experience, I see no problem.
October 26, 2011 2:48:22 PM

Pyree said:
I installed wireless security system for my family business.

It works perfectly, no problem with range. But the shop is not that big.

One thing you can do is to place the sensor on where you want it to be, but do not fixed it on the wall with screws yet. Then turn the security on and trigger the sensor. If it starts beeping, then it works and quickly turn it off (don't want it to call the security!!).

But you have to remember to replace the battery on the IR sensor and stuff like that.

With your experience, I see no problem.

Thanks Pyree,

Any brand recommendations?

Thanks.
Score
Related resources
October 26, 2011 3:04:23 PM

I just end up picking up one from Swann. I don't think I have installed enough of them to tell you which on is the best, sorry.
Score
November 10, 2011 6:36:59 PM

Best answer selected by fletch711.
Score
November 30, 2011 1:33:48 PM

Follow up on this:

I went with the Honeywell Lynx Touch 5000LK. I had to purchase about 11 more window transmitters to cover the doors. Also I purchased the GSM card and two smoke detectors.

I hit a wall attempting to get the GSM to work, so I called a local alarm company to enable it and add another siren.

Pretty good system, very easy install. Monitoring was cheap since I already had the equipment.
Score
September 10, 2012 9:32:32 AM

This topic has been closed by Pyree
Score
!