PIII upgrade

I need some help! I'm considering upgrading my PIII 650MHz (Compaq Deskpro EN) but I don't know what chipset I've got. There's nothing in the Device manager that'll tell me anything. I read a recent article on THG about upgrading a PIII to 1.4GHz and it mentioned a company called PowerLeap. Does anybody have any experience with them?

"Consiousness of the past alone
can make us understand the present" - Herbert Luethy
7 answers Last reply
More about piii upgrade
  1. How much money do you have to spend?

When you factor in the price of a new p3 1.4 and the adaptor, it's probably just as cheap to get a new Athlon/mb/ram system. If you're limited in funds and want to stay with your current motherboard,then you could get the adaptor and a celeron 1.1 and overclock it to 1.4Ghz.
  2. To find your chipset, get SiSoftware Sandra 2003. http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/
    This program will tell you what chipset you are using, plus many more other things.
  3. Is the Celeron even comparable to the PIII? Someday I'll build my own system...but not yet. BTW I figgered out my chipset. Its a 443BX (if that even exists).

4. Don't you mean the 440bx? If that's it, you can upgrade easily to a Celeron Tualatin 1400Mhz using a slotkey

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
  5. Excuse me, I did mean the 440BX. is a slotkey the PowerLeap product?

6. I'm pretty sure it is, I know Crashman has a bunch of them. If you PM him, you could probably buy one from him cheaply. You just plug it into the Slot1, and you get a socket 370, tualatin compatible (except with a 100Mhz bus unless you overclock)

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
  7. You don't need the Powerleap adapter, it's too expensive. Your board already has a Coppermine, so you know it supports low voltages. You can get an Upgradeware Slot-T adapter for $20. That's about $50 less than a Powerleap adapter, when you figure in the cost of processors.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Device Manager Compaq