Setup Installation Package

I bought True Cime-Streets of LA about a month ago and I
now began to play it. I tried to install it and nothing
happened, so I went to Win Explorer to view the files on
the CD and tried to click on the installation Icon. When I
did that a box appeared stating: "Your Windows
Installation Package is either invalid or corrupted". How
can I fix this issue. Is there another Installation
Package file I could use to help install this game? It's
too late to take it back to the store I purchased it from.
Please help.
1 answer Last reply
More about setup installation package
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Hi Jah,

    That type of error could mean the CD is corrupt... Check the CD
    and the CD Player. Clean both using a Cleaning Kit, and check for
    scratches on the CD. Try installing the game on another computer,
    if the game installs, the culprit is probably your CD ROM drive if it
    doesn't install then it's the CD, in which case you need to replace it.

    Before replacing the CD, try copying it to your hard drive and then
    run the setup / installation program from there. To copy the CD go
    to My Computer, Right-Click the CD, Choose "Copy", then Right-
    Click on your Hard Drive, Choose "Paste".

    Uninstall the game using Add-Remove programs before attempting
    to reinstall it. (Start / Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs).

    Here are three basic troubleshooting steps which I recommend:

    1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
    programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
    blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

    You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

    2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
    Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to find any
    Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your system.

    3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
    / Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
    the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

    If nothing including those 3 steps have resolved the problem so far,
    here's more basic troubleshooting steps and information including:
    The Safedisc patch
    How to check CD for imperfections, and
    How to Disable Virtual CD rom drives which is described at:
    http://tinyurl.com/2387c (EA General Support Page) and also:

    How to Troubleshoot Disc-Reading Issues
    Error Messages That May Be Caused by Disc-Reading Issues
    Troubleshoot Error Messages
    Examine the Disc
    Clean the Disc
    Test the Disc in a Different Drive
    Clean the Drive
    Test Disc Read with Copy or Xcopy
    Quit Unnecessary Software
    Switch the Drive Controller to DMA Mode, and
    How to Troubleshoot DVD Error Messages is available in this
    MS Article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=321641

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "jah711" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ab2901c44f1b$f38b23f0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    |I bought True Cime-Streets of LA about a month ago and I
    | now began to play it. I tried to install it and nothing
    | happened, so I went to Win Explorer to view the files on
    | the CD and tried to click on the installation Icon. When I
    | did that a box appeared stating: "Your Windows
    | Installation Package is either invalid or corrupted". How
    | can I fix this issue. Is there another Installation
    | Package file I could use to help install this game? It's
    | too late to take it back to the store I purchased it from.
    | Please help.

Games Microsoft Video Games