Compaq presario f750

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTSBRN_1

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I have been using my compaq for about a year now with flawless use, then however i turn it on this morning and it asks for a password at the bios startup screen. now i have a password for the windows startup screen but not the bios. My Compaq has 120 gb wd harddrive 1.5gb of ram and is running windows vista home premium. all suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated.

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
Power on password, that is it appears as soon as you turn it on and you can't get past it or a bios password meaning you can enter the bios?

Startup passwords are evil. there's hardly an easy way to get rid of them short of sending to the manufacturer. The safest thing is to call Compaq and they will most likely have ou send it in to remove.

Have you tried blank password, by the way?

LTSBRN_1

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
its the power on password, i have never entered a password before that's my biggest question is why all of a sudden did it ask for one????yeahi 've tried everything i can think of, even blank password.

arkaon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Honestly dude, you should think back if anyone you know has recently had access to it. My roommate a while back used to put Bios passwords on my computer all the time, and then leave a cypher on my desk to try and figure it out. It was a mild pain in the arse, but it happens frequently in some of my work circles. That being said, someone might be playing a rather cruel joke on you.

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
Basically the only reason to set a power on password / bios supersisor password. . to keep people from pulling this crap.

But no, this does not "just happen". Some one put it there deliberately. If it wasn't you it was someone else.

javier33

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I guess you just need to reboot it because you may accidentally press on it bios console which has a password.

It came into my mind since this is may be the first time you encountered it if I am not mistaken. OR somebody just put password in it.. that is headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.