Sign in with
Your question

P4PE voltage and temp problems

Last response: in CPUs
January 16, 2003 1:30:06 AM

Friend would like help on this:
---
I recently bought a P4 2.4b (C1 stepping) and a P4PE Asus board. I notice in the Asus probe 2.19.04 and in the bios that the Vcore voltage is around 1.65V and not 1.525 as the setting. I am using the latest bios 1003. I believe that the temps are also not correct but for now the Vcore is the most important issue. What could cause this?
---

He is using the system on a Dual PSU mod, using an AT and ATX, both 300W, totalling 600W estimated, and using EZ Plug on the P4PE.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
a c 159 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 16, 2003 8:35:26 AM

Asus boards tend to be slightly overvolted. I would go by your hardware monitor readings in the bios, not asus probe. Some versions of probe are accurate, some are not. Also, check your manual for a voltage boost jumper. My p4s533 had one that changed the voltage from 1.52 to 1.62 for cold boot and overclocking.
January 16, 2003 3:00:11 PM

Yes the vcore rides very high, I stated that somewhere on this forum quite a while back. Not really a problem though other than raising the CPU temps at idle and even more under load. I believe the temp sensor reading on the P4PE to be accurate. The P4PE had the biggest swing in temps from idle to under load of all the motherboards that I have punished upwards of 4Ghz. The P4PE could not reach top speeds of the CPU. Lets not go into 3Dmark scores =)

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>
Related resources
January 16, 2003 4:06:05 PM

LOL....That sounds kinda fishy and I think if it were mine I would return it and go with the Abit IT7Max2 rev2....better features/overclocker
If you want a much cheaper solution the albatron proIIs has all the goodies and is an even better overclocker
January 16, 2003 5:33:16 PM

I am running the IT7-MAX2 Rev 2 and a Tyan S2662 Granite bay, go figure =)

I test many P4 motherboards, and I am pretty sure I run the <A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/4049.jpg" target="_new">highest clock speeds</A> on this forum. I was giving some of my feedback from the P4PE experiance. The only thing I can say good about the P4PE is it works correctly with Hyperthreading. The bad thing is that it performs worse than the Intel reference board (even with overclocked DDR).

I tested several P4PE's and they are all the same. You will often see me boasting the newest technology hardware.

The 4.05Ghz was done on a MSI 845Max FIRS and 3.06Ghz HT enabled CPU without LN2.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>
January 16, 2003 5:38:12 PM

Do you still have your Crayofridge?

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...
January 16, 2003 6:21:29 PM

Yep, several high end cooling gizmo's now.

<A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/woody.JPG" target="_new">Woods 5.7cu Freezer w/ .5" water loop</A> to GPU w/ "Drop in" evaporator -27c, Lytron dual 120mm (110v) fan evaporator -2c case temp, Prometeia on the CPU -45c max idle

I use the drop in and dual 120's for benchmarking only.

Here is <A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/www/mac7.jpg" target="_new">one of my new toys.</A> Yep, never plugged in and already voided the warranty =) Dual 1250 G4 w/ matched 2GB DDR provided by Apple for testing purposes.

January 16, 2003 7:49:07 PM

Yes I had seen your posts about the P4PE. We (me and my friend) looked a lot on the Asus forums and saw that indeed this motherboard has lots of overvolting problems.
Seeing the Abit IT7 Max 2 rev 2 review on Anandtech, and how the Vcore 1.5 of the P4 2.26GHZ tested was at 1.48V showed that the IT7 is indeed the greater board here.

Actually, it's not rising temps with my friend's P4 2.4B, the problem is they are WAY TOO low. He has like 28-35ºC temps. I simply refuse to believe it (even in BIOS), and think this is yet another bad diode readout. Otherwise why would my other friend's P4 2.4A on the same board, be 45ºC! It's not like chips have SUCH a huge difference, and it's not like the 2.4B C1 my friend has compared to the B0 2.4A my other friend has, will make such difference.

I am personally starting to wonder if he should just return it for the IT7, which seems to be the optimal OCer. He is getting 3GHZ at 1.75V, insane! 1.55V is more than enough for the 3GHZ on the standard retail CPU! Why should he require 0.2V more for the overclock is beyond me. The board really is a bad OCer so far.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
!