Dell please don't load my new computer with all that junk!

I just got a new Inspiron 6000 from Dell. I ordered it ONLY with
Windows XP Pro. It's advertised as having WordPErfect as free
software, so I got that too, although I will delete it and use my old
Office 97 programs.

However, the computer came loaded with a bunch of junk files like AOL,
Earthlink, QuickBooks, MusicMartch, and, and, and, and! Anyway, most
of it is demo or of limited value. It's taking me forever to
uninstall that stuff. Of course, the uninstall does not remove all
the garbage in the registry, so I'm left with the task of searching
and cleaning and hoping I don't screw things up.

Why can't Dell just include the CD's for all those programs they are
trying to promote and let us decide what to install or not install? I
am tired of having someone, or some idiot, deciding what's good for
me.

Oh well, back to removing programs! On second thought, maybe I should
just format the drive and do as I like with MY computer.

Just ranting. Sorry folks.

OS

OldSailor wrote:

> I just got a new Inspiron 6000 from Dell. I ordered it ONLY with
> Windows XP Pro. It's advertised as having WordPErfect as free
> software, so I got that too, although I will delete it and use my old
> Office 97 programs.
>
> However, the computer came loaded with a bunch of junk files like AOL,
> Earthlink, QuickBooks, MusicMartch, and, and, and, and! Anyway, most
> of it is demo or of limited value. It's taking me forever to
> uninstall that stuff. Of course, the uninstall does not remove all
> the garbage in the registry, so I'm left with the task of searching
> and cleaning and hoping I don't screw things up.
>
> Why can't Dell just include the CD's for all those programs they are
> trying to promote and let us decide what to install or not install? I
> am tired of having someone, or some idiot, deciding what's good for
> me.
>
> Oh well, back to removing programs! On second thought, maybe I should
> just format the drive and do as I like with MY computer.
>
> Just ranting. Sorry folks.

Rant away! <g>

A (large, I imagine) number of us do just that... Upon receiving a new system,
reformat and do a clean Windows install. No worries about conflicts with any
existing programs, etc.

Notan

BigJim

yea it took me all of 30 minutes to take of all the unwanted stuff
"OldSailor" <OldSailor@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>I just got a new Inspiron 6000 from Dell. I ordered it ONLY with
> Windows XP Pro. It's advertised as having WordPErfect as free
> software, so I got that too, although I will delete it and use my old
> Office 97 programs.
>
> However, the computer came loaded with a bunch of junk files like AOL,
> Earthlink, QuickBooks, MusicMartch, and, and, and, and! Anyway, most
> of it is demo or of limited value. It's taking me forever to
> uninstall that stuff. Of course, the uninstall does not remove all
> the garbage in the registry, so I'm left with the task of searching
> and cleaning and hoping I don't screw things up.
>
> Why can't Dell just include the CD's for all those programs they are
> trying to promote and let us decide what to install or not install? I
> am tired of having someone, or some idiot, deciding what's good for
> me.
>
> Oh well, back to removing programs! On second thought, maybe I should
> just format the drive and do as I like with MY computer.
>
> Just ranting. Sorry folks.
>
> OS

In case you just arrived from a different planet, tons of companies in many industries do this thing called "cross marketing". For better or worse it's the way business is done, and the PC business is no different, so get over it. Want a PC with exactly what you want - no more and no less? Build one yourself (or have it built for you). Of course, you'll pay a lot more.

Uninstalling what Dell puts on your computer is quick and easy if you do it right. As for "all the garbage in the registry", it exists in your mind.

Want to waste a weekend completely reinstalling, re-updating and reconfiguring all your software? Be my guest. I've got better things to do.

Ted Zieglar

Ted Zieglar wrote:

> In case you just arrived from a different planet, tons of companies in many industries do this thing called "cross marketing". For better or worse it's the way business is done, and the PC business is no different, so get over it. Want a PC with exactly what you want - no more and no less? Build one yourself (or have it built for you). Of course, you'll pay a lot more.
>
> Uninstalling what Dell puts on your computer is quick and easy if you do it right. As for "all the garbage in the registry", it exists in your mind.
>
> Want to waste a weekend completely reinstalling, re-updating and reconfiguring all your software? Be my guest. I've got better things to do.

Actually, if you image your basic configuration once,
subsequent reinstallations can be relatively quick
and painless.

Notan

15 minutes for me. To reformat would have taken a lot longer.

Ted Zieglar wrote:

> In case you just arrived from a different planet, tons of companies in many industries do this thing called "cross marketing". For better or worse it's the way business is done, and the PC business is no different, so get over it. Want a PC with exactly what you want - no more and no less? Build one yourself (or have it built for you). Of course, you'll pay a lot more.
>
> Uninstalling what Dell puts on your computer is quick and easy if you do it right. As for "all the garbage in the registry", it exists in your mind.
>
> Want to waste a weekend completely reinstalling, re-updating and reconfiguring all your software? Be my guest. I've got better things to do.

Weekend? With a new computer?

I just reformatted my 3 year old 4550 and it only took 4 hours to get
EVERYTHING back to production ready.

A brand new out of the box machine shouldn't take more than 90 minutes
to do.

Bob

Bob Levine wrote:

> Ted Zieglar wrote:
>
>> In case you just arrived from a different planet, tons of companies in
>> many industries do this thing called "cross marketing". For better or
>> worse it's the way business is done, and the PC business is no
>> different, so get over it. Want a PC with exactly what you want - no
>> more and no less? Build one yourself (or have it built for you). Of
>> course, you'll pay a lot more.
>>
>> Uninstalling what Dell puts on your computer is quick and easy if you
>> do it right. As for "all the garbage in the registry", it exists in
>> your mind.
>>
>> Want to waste a weekend completely reinstalling, re-updating and
>> reconfiguring all your software? Be my guest. I've got better things
>> to do.
>
> Weekend? With a new computer?
>
> I just reformatted my 3 year old 4550 and it only took 4 hours to get
> EVERYTHING back to production ready.

You must be running a lot fewer applications than I am.

Sparky Spartacus wrote:

> Bob Levine wrote:
>
>> Ted Zieglar wrote:
>>
>>> In case you just arrived from a different planet, tons of companies
>>> in many industries do this thing called "cross marketing". For better
>>> or worse it's the way business is done, and the PC business is no
>>> different, so get over it. Want a PC with exactly what you want - no
>>> more and no less? Build one yourself (or have it built for you). Of
>>> course, you'll pay a lot more.
>>>
>>> Uninstalling what Dell puts on your computer is quick and easy if you
>>> do it right. As for "all the garbage in the registry", it exists in
>>> your mind.
>>>
>>> Want to waste a weekend completely reinstalling, re-updating and
>>> reconfiguring all your software? Be my guest. I've got better things
>>> to do.
>>

>> Weekend? With a new computer?
>>
>> I just reformatted my 3 year old 4550 and it only took 4 hours to get
>> EVERYTHING back to production ready.
>

> You must be running a lot fewer applications than I am.

MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite. I didn't bother with old versions.

Bob

"MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite. I didn't bother with old versions"

What - no antivirus or anti-spyware programs? No wonder you had to reformat. And I wouldn't run my computer without a third party firewall, but that's just me.

I also like to install the manufacturers' drivers for all my hardware, but again, that's just me.

Since I like to backup frequently for safety's sake, I also install imaging software. Maybe you should consider it, since it's much faster and easier to restore a known good image than to re-install everything from scratch, even for you.

I could go on, but you probably wouldn't be interested.

Ted Zieglar

"Bob Levine" <leave.me@lone.net> wrote in message news:O%NMe.2923$yb.1096@trndny01...
> Sparky Spartacus wrote:
>
>> Bob Levine wrote:

>>> Weekend? With a new computer?
>>>
>>> I just reformatted my 3 year old 4550 and it only took 4 hours to get
>>> EVERYTHING back to production ready.
>>

>> You must be running a lot fewer applications than I am.
>
> MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite. I didn't bother with old versions.
>
> Bob

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <LAMMe.386$oK.341@fe10.lga>, Sparky@universalexports.org
says...
> Bob Levine wrote:
>
> > Ted Zieglar wrote:
> >
> >> In case you just arrived from a different planet, tons of companies in
> >> many industries do this thing called "cross marketing". For better or
> >> worse it's the way business is done, and the PC business is no
> >> different, so get over it. Want a PC with exactly what you want - no
> >> more and no less? Build one yourself (or have it built for you). Of
> >> course, you'll pay a lot more.
> >>
> >> Uninstalling what Dell puts on your computer is quick and easy if you
> >> do it right. As for "all the garbage in the registry", it exists in
> >> your mind.
> >>
> >> Want to waste a weekend completely reinstalling, re-updating and
> >> reconfiguring all your software? Be my guest. I've got better things
> >> to do.
> >
> > Weekend? With a new computer?
> >
> > I just reformatted my 3 year old 4550 and it only took 4 hours to get
> > EVERYTHING back to production ready.
>
> You must be running a lot fewer applications than I am.

It sounds like he's running a couple of suites and that it.

louise wrote:
> In article <LAMMe.386$oK.341@fe10.lga>, Sparky@universalexports.org
> says...
>
>>Bob Levine wrote:

>>>Weekend? With a new computer?
>>>
>>>I just reformatted my 3 year old 4550 and it only took 4 hours to get
>>>EVERYTHING back to production ready.
>>
>>You must be running a lot fewer applications than I am.
>
> It sounds like he's running a couple of suites and that it.

Sure does, which is a *lot* fewer than I am.

Ted Zieglar wrote:

> "MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite. I didn't bother with old versions"
>
> What - no antivirus or anti-spyware programs? No wonder you had to reformat. And I wouldn't run my computer without a third party firewall, but that's just me.

I was talking about major applications. Yes, antivirus, anti-spyware and
even AIM were including in the list of applications. As was recreating
all of my font sets using ATM Deluxe.

> I also like to install the manufacturers' drivers for all my hardware, but again, that's just me.

Yes, I did that too.

> Since I like to backup frequently for safety's sake, I also install imaging software. Maybe you should consider it, since it's much faster and easier to restore a known good image than to re-install everything from scratch, even for you.

Data is backed up. But I was an Adobe beta tester and all that
installing and uninstalling really did a number on the system.

> I could go on, but you probably wouldn't be interested.

Sure I am. Go for it. <g>

Bob

louise wrote:

> It sounds like he's running a couple of suites and that it.

Yup. Adobe and Microsoft. At some point I'll get around to reinstalling
the CorelDRAW suite but I simply don't use it very much anymore so I
don't really see the point right now.

Bob

OldSailor wrote:
> I just got a new Inspiron 6000 from Dell. I ordered it ONLY with
> Windows XP Pro. It's advertised as having WordPErfect as free
> software, so I got that too, although I will delete it and use my old
> Office 97 programs.
>
> However, the computer came loaded with a bunch of junk files like AOL,
> Earthlink, QuickBooks, MusicMartch, and, and, and, and! Anyway, most
> of it is demo or of limited value. It's taking me forever to
> uninstall that stuff. Of course, the uninstall does not remove all
> the garbage in the registry, so I'm left with the task of searching
> and cleaning and hoping I don't screw things up.
>
> Why can't Dell just include the CD's for all those programs they are
> trying to promote and let us decide what to install or not install? I
> am tired of having someone, or some idiot, deciding what's good for
> me.
>
> Oh well, back to removing programs! On second thought, maybe I should
> just format the drive and do as I like with MY computer.
>
> Just ranting. Sorry folks.
>
> OS

I'm one of those format and reload kinda guys. I boot it up long enough
to write down the hardware makes/models from Control Panel.

I format the drive, set up 2 partitions (usally) and load Windows XP.
Usually takes about 30 minutes to load XP, another 30 minutes or so for
the drivers (chipset, nic, video, sound). Then an hour or two for my
programs that I use.

Nothing wrong with just uninstalling what you don't want. for me, i
just personally want to know where everything is, where it was
installed, etc. Personal preference.

TRENDING THREADS