Sign in with
Your question

Can you recommend a laptop? (based on my specifications)

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
December 4, 2009 2:25:37 AM

1_What is your budget? AUD $2000-3000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? medium size. Not tiny but able to fit in a backpack or normal carry bag

3_What screen resolution do you want? a good resolution that would be appropriate for a 16" screen

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Yes I am replacing my old gaming pc

5_How much battery life do you need? atleast one hour at full performance

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes that will be its main purpose. Modern Warefare 2 and future games

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Photo shop, website development, programming

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? atleast 500 GB

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them. (ijk.com.au) up for recommendations

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 to 5 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Not fussy just what the usual is

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Dont like HP. Do like toshiba and asus. But once again I am open to recommendations.

13_What country do you live in? Sydney Australia

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

- Warranty would be nice
- Powerful video card (nvidia preferred)
- atleast i7 720 but would like better e.g. 920 if possible in a notebook
- need something for gaming at home over the net that can also be used at uni and maybe work.
- strong case that won't be broken during commuting

Would appreciate any help,

Regards,

James
December 4, 2009 10:27:42 AM

Thankyou for your reply. I know my description was a bit dodgey but thats a very very close match to what I am looking for and I will consider it.

If it wasn't for the fact that it has a terrible battery life and is very noisy even when idle I would be sure of this model. But thankyou very very much this is a very nice laptop you have recommended.
Related resources
a c 244 D Laptop
December 4, 2009 12:38:48 PM

No problem,other options would be lower than 17" with a better battery life
December 4, 2009 3:00:47 PM

What about Asus G60J

i7 Processor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM
500GB Hard Drive (5400rpm/7200rpm depending on regions)
DVD/Blu-Ray Combo
16" HD (1366x768) LED backlight,Color-Shine (Glare-type)
8 in 1 card reader
Built-in Bluetooth™ V2.1+
Altec Lansing® speakers

2-year limited global hardware warranty.

Not bad for about 1450 $US.

http://www.asus.com.au/product.aspx?P_ID=zMOzoqpR3iLeCY...

a c 244 D Laptop
December 4, 2009 3:22:47 PM

It looks good too but it has low resolution screen,also the Sager model has GTX 280M (which is roughly 10-15% faster) but for its price its a decent choice
December 4, 2009 5:16:46 PM

Can he get Sager in Australia?
December 4, 2009 6:25:54 PM

I couldnt find sager brand in any of those sites, I wonder if they use different brand name there.

.........................................................................................
Any way Maziar; off the topic, does your Thread notification box get updated? I dont get any Thread updates, only Message updates. I wonder if its got any thing to do with Java control panel.
a c 244 D Laptop
December 4, 2009 7:39:09 PM

In P4laptops it calls them METABOX which is SAGER(=Clevo) but they seem expensive,check out www.xoticpc.com they ship internationally and ask about the shipping cost,it may be cheaper.
December 6, 2009 2:32:59 AM

Thanks for your help guys. The Asus is also one that I have considered. I think I might have to sacrifice battery life. The sager is very appealing but Asus would be easier to get my hands on.
December 6, 2009 8:41:54 AM

There’s another Asus model [G51J-A1] is got much better screen and bigger hard drive. I think is a very good deal for $1404 to $1500US.

Intel Core i7 720QM (1.6GHz)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

Screen 15.6" (1920 x 1080 Resolutions)

640GB HDD7200rpm (2 x 320G)

4GB Memory DDR3

DVD

30 days Zero Bright Dot LCD pixel guarantee

Carry Bag/Optical Mouse

1 year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty ( Drops, Fire, Spill, Surge Parts )

2 years Parts and Labor Warranty

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

December 6, 2009 9:27:49 AM

I had a look. Seems like it has some heat issues though from reading some reviews. Quite a cheap price for a good model however. Thanks : )
December 6, 2009 9:38:58 AM

Update: by the way, I am still researching what laptop to get and I have tonight to decide. Going to compare Sager side by side with Asus and Alienware models out. The problem with all the laptops is that in the US they are so cheap and even though the aussy dollar is 0.9 US the profit margins here are alot higher.

xoticpc does ship internationally but it would be very hard to return it for servicing or warranty purposes ect.
December 6, 2009 10:19:22 AM

Update: to my horror I cannot buy the Sager laptop anyware in Australia it seems. Bugger lol
December 6, 2009 11:55:33 AM

Update: METABOX W870CU or Clevo W870CU appears to be the Australian equivalent to the Sager NP8760
a c 244 D Laptop
December 6, 2009 12:17:11 PM

No W860CU = Sager NP 8690
December 6, 2009 12:18:42 PM

Maziar said:
No W860CU = Sager NP 8690

Yep sorry just fixed that up. : /

In fact while we are on the topic just for other users

* Clevo M980NU = Sager NP9850
* Clevo D900F = Sager NP9280
* Clevo W870CU = Sager NP8760
* Clevo M775SU = Sager NP7752
* Clevo M860TU = Sager NP8662
* Clevo W860CU = Sager NP8690
* Clevo W765TUN = Sager NP7650
* Clevo M735T = Sager NP7350
* Clevo M722T = Sager NP7220
December 6, 2009 12:21:52 PM

Most of these high-powered gaming notebooks will overheat in one way or another. You can get good cooling pad .

METABOX W860CU cost around $550AD more than similarly spec ASUS G51IJ-A1.

You need to add $195 for 2 years warranty. That makes it nearly $750 more than Asus. I don’t think is worth that much money.

http://www.p4laptops.com.au/gaming-laptops-laptops-for-...

December 6, 2009 12:33:14 PM

ibnsina said:
Most of these high-powered gaming notebooks will overheat in one way or another. You can get good cooling pad pad.

METABOX W860CU cost around $550AD more than similarly spec ASUS G51IJ-A1.

Metabox comes with no OS; you need to add $85 for win 7 pro and $195 for 2 years warranty. That makes it nearly $900 more than Asus. I don’t think is worth that much money.

http://www.p4laptops.com.au/gaming-laptops-laptops-for-...

I've been checking out the ASUS G60J what do you think about it compared to both the ASUS G51IJ-A1 and M60J and METABOX W860CU and METABOX D900F

Admittedly the high end laptops are very expensive. I do think cooling options would be needed. I have also been checking out the HP Envy 15 but I'm sure its just a peice of junk. Don't exactly trust HP and the Alienware laptops don't even have i7 processors from what I could see.
December 6, 2009 12:57:39 PM

It is 2 am in Australia at the moment. I am going to bed now. Tomorrow when I wake up I will continue my research but will order one of these laptops by the end of the day. I would appreciate very very much any last minute advice that you guys have for me in regards to the Asus Verse Metabox debate.

I think I will have to settle for the i7 720 due to the price issues unfortunately, but this will be a slight step up from my 3.2 ghz Pentium 4 PC. : ). I would prefer to get the GTX 280 video card as it is said to be 10% to 15% faster than the previous model video cards.

Special thanks to Maziar and ibnsina for your continued help and advice. I am curious ibnsina what you think about the Asus G60J as you think the previous Asus is a good buy.
December 6, 2009 1:13:41 PM

ASUS G60J screen resolutions is only 1366x768 and HD is 5400rpm, but you get blue ray. I think ASUS G51IJ-A1 is much better.

It might be good idea to buy it from reputable US company that delivers to Australia, because Asus warranty is international.

ASUS G51IJ-A1 is selling in Australia for $2149.00 AUD. You can get from xoticpc.com for 1,535 AUD (1,405 USD). Even if you get charged 100$ for shipment/taxes. You still saving around $600 AUD.

http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-...

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Amount=1405&From=USD&...

.......................................................................................................

METABOX W860CU costs $550 more than ASUS G51IJ-A1 for slightly faster gpu. As I said before, you need topay $195 for 2 years warranty. So thats $750 more for slighlty faster gpu. And you dont get 30 days dead pixel warranty, No gaming mouse and no bag too, the choice is yours.

Make sure you buy this laptop from reputable company, just in case you wanted to exchange it.
a c 244 D Laptop
December 6, 2009 3:08:00 PM

Yes if the price difference is much,go for the ASUS G51J,its a very good choice too and you get extra mouse,bag and illuminated keyboard as well :) 
December 6, 2009 10:16:25 PM

Thankyou for all your help everyone. I am currently trying to find a place in Australia that sells the ASUS G51J with a few additional specs like 6GB of ram instead of 4 and windows ultimate.

I will confirm once I have made a purchase and also will write a review once I have recieved and tested it for anyone else with the same issues in the future.

December 6, 2009 11:07:45 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
here's the same Clevo model from Australia:

http://www.p4laptops.com.au/order-w870.htm

Other potential source

http://www.affordablelaptops.com.au/

wondering if my builder ships to au

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=productdetai...

Hey I am considering importing from America the ASUS G51J because its not available in Australia any time soon and I can still get it repaired here due to the global waranty.

Could you recommend any companies that sell the ASUS G51J and would ship to aus?
December 7, 2009 8:15:32 AM

“Xotic PC accepts International Orders, require payment via Bank Wire, Check or Money Order. For any Warranty the customer is responsible for shipping both ways to our service center in the US”.
Since Asus warranty is international I don’t think you have to worry about this.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………

Rather then adding 2 GB more memory at the cost of $255, I think you will gain more speed by replacing the primary hard drive to Intel 80GB X25-M Solid State Drive at the cost of $230 (80GB is more than enough to install applications/games) . You will still get second 320GB 7200rpm hard drive for backups.

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g51ja1-p-2674.html?wconfigu...

..............................................................................................................

Why exactly you want windows 7 ultimate? Xpmode?

December 7, 2009 10:59:34 AM

ibnsina said:
“Xotic PC accepts International Orders, require payment via Bank Wire, Check or Money Order. For any Warranty the customer is responsible for shipping both ways to our service center in the US”.
Since Asus warranty is international I don’t think you have to worry about this.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………

Rather then adding 2 GB more memory at the cost of $255, I think you will gain more speed by replacing the primary hard drive to Intel 80GB X25-M Solid State Drive at the cost of $230 (80GB is more than enough to install applications/games) . You will still get second 320GB 7200rpm hard drive for backups.

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g51ja1-p-2674.html?wconfigu...

..............................................................................................................

Why exactly you want windows 7 ultimate? Xpmode?

Cool I didn't realise that site sold the asus model. I wonder if they have it in stock and can ship immeditately.

I want windows 7 ultimate for its backup feature. Me and my Dad are maybe going to get the same laptop and my dad wants the backup feature and I might want it to so I can refresh my comp back to an old copy if I get a virus
December 7, 2009 12:30:40 PM

Full-system Backup and Restore comes in Home Premium edition too . (only network backup is disabled ). I have to say I really like Windows Backup and Restore, is very simple and effective.

You will backup your system to your second hard drive (or external drives), so i dont think you should pay extra $195 that xoticpc charges for Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-Bit or $139 through Microsoft Any time upgrade..

Regarding stock-shipment you can email-call or have livechat with sales department. Contact page http://www.xoticpc.com/contact_us.php
December 7, 2009 8:19:37 PM

I got slightly bad news for you AlComplex, Xotic PC dont have ASUS G51IJ-A1 in stock, they getting it after 3-4 weeks. "Apparently is the most popular gaming laptop in the world."

Another bad news is they charging $249 for UPS 2-3 days shipment. :??: 
……………………………………………………………………………..
We need to try to find different reputable company that ship there. :D 
December 7, 2009 10:21:26 PM

ibnsina said:
I got slightly bad news for you AlComplex, Xotic PC dont have ASUS G51IJ-A1 in stock, they getting it after 3-4 weeks. "Apparently is the most popular gaming laptop in the world."

Another bad news is they charging $249 for UPS 2-3 days shipment. :??: 
……………………………………………………………………………..
We need to try to find different reputable company that ship there. :D 

I think every company is out of stock though : /

And its not entirely bad news. Least I know its a good laptop and it just confirms the idea that I should wait till after the new year to buy my laptop. Prices may come down and all the new shipment of these G51Js will be in. Maybe something better will be out in January?

And it is better knowing than not knowing. Thanks ibnsina!!
December 8, 2009 6:26:53 AM

I agree.....

Asus might bring out new gaming laptop with faster gpu in the next 2 months.

.............................................................................................
Other option is if you know some one in usa that can buy it for you, newegg.com have it in stock.
December 8, 2009 9:45:38 AM

ibnsina said:
I agree.....

Asus might bring out new gaming laptop with faster gpu in the next 2 months.

.............................................................................................
Other option is if you know some one in usa that can buy it for you, newegg.com have it in stock.

Well its the waiting game...lol thanks for your help I guess I'll have to wait to start gaming.

December 10, 2009 8:54:49 AM

Well the story is nearly over. I have ordered the ASUS G51J with one adjustment on the normal specs. Replaced one of the 320 gig hardrives with a cosair 64 SSD 220 mbs read and 180 mbs write as you suggested. It is not easy to get good prices and laptops where I am so I have imported from Western Australia and once the shipment of the laptops comes in I should have it by early january hopefully.

I will let you know how it performs
December 11, 2009 8:18:58 AM

That should be one fast of a Laptop, lucky you! You are covered for 2 years as well. Since it comes with 30 day pixel warranty, so make sure to check your Laptop for dead pixel, using a program like Dead pixel tester. http://www.dataproductservices.com/dpt
Looking forward to hearing your review.
………………………………………………………………………………….
Usually Laptop manufactures install many useless programs/demo games; this really slows down the system.

One solution to this; is to do a clean windows 7 install, and then download/setup whatever device drivers windows 7 didn’t detect.

Finally use windows backup and restore and make a complete system image and store it in another hard drive (or partition/ external harddrive/usb pen drive /blueray disk/dvd disk etc). At the end of backup process it will ask you whether you want to make a bootable disk, do make one just in case your hd malfunctions.

December 11, 2009 10:06:17 PM

Sweet thats great information thankyou. Is there some function on Windows Seven Ultimate that helps with the backup? Not sure how to go about doing it
December 12, 2009 6:57:36 AM

This guide is good;

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-sys...

.......................................................................................

Find out if that laptop comes with Windows 7 installations DVD. These manufactures are becoming so greedy these days, they charge you over $1000 for a laptop, yet they don’t want to supply you with installations dvd.

If didn’t come with one, let me know, I guide how to download a genuine version.
December 13, 2009 11:11:15 PM

ibnsina said:
This guide is good;

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-sys...

.......................................................................................

Find out if that laptop comes with Windows 7 installations DVD. These manufactures are becoming so greedy these days, they charge you over $1000 for a laptop, yet they don’t want to supply you with installations dvd.

If didn’t come with one, let me know, I guide how to download a genuine version.

Wow thankyou that will be very usefull for me!
January 5, 2010 12:22:31 AM

I have posted a new thread.

Please close this thread.

FYI The G51J never arrived and is now supposedly out of production. Also it has heating issues.
!