Latest update causes low signal levels

Come on Microsoft. You screwed up a lot of systems with
this last update. Either put out a fix or give us an easy
way to get rid of it without getting prompted all the
time to update again. I'm not sure if it even causes a
problem or if it is just a display problem but it gives
the perception that my system is running on the edge.
Please at least admit to it and tell us what is up!

I didn't think that the driver got updated in the latest
update except for the base station but doing a rollback
on the machine with the MN-730 in it fixed the problem
Now we need to know what the update was supposed to be
for and why it didn't work. base is still running the
latest.

>Come on Microsoft. You screwed up a lot of systems with
>this last update. Either put out a fix or give us an
easy
>way to get rid of it without getting prompted all the
>time to update again. I'm not sure if it even causes a
>problem or if it is just a display problem but it gives
>the perception that my system is running on the edge.
>Please at least admit to it and tell us what is up!
>.

Cs

"Dave Flagg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Come on Microsoft. You screwed up a lot of systems with
> this last update. Either put out a fix or give us an easy
> way to get rid of it without getting prompted all the
> time to update again. I'm not sure if it even causes a
> problem or if it is just a display problem but it gives
> the perception that my system is running on the edge.
> Please at least admit to it and tell us what is up!

Not sure I understand your post.....

If you're having problems with signal strength, just roll back the driver(s)
to the previous version. The new driver(s) may be optimized for XP SP-2.
Which can't be confirmed until SP-2 is released to the general public
sometime in August. I had to roll back the new installed driver for the MN
720 in order to regain signal strength.

When I install SP-2, I'll re-install the new driver for my MN 720 and test
the signal strength to see if it remains normal or again degrades.

I haven't heard whether the new drivers are causing problems for users of
Win9X\ME or Win2000.

jay

> I haven't heard whether the new drivers are causing problems for users of
> Win9X\ME or Win2000.

My win98 laptop is sitting right beside the router - only the first 2 bars
in signal strength meter light up since the update. All of them used to
light up.

Cs

"Jay" <lifestyles@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > I haven't heard whether the new drivers are causing problems for users
of
> > Win9X\ME or Win2000.
> >

> My win98 laptop is sitting right beside the router - only the first 2 bars
> in signal strength meter light up since the update. All of them used to
> light up.

Thanks Jay. I think what we have here is a buggy driver. I might not have
thought so if you were running XP, thinking it could be a problem awaiting
resolution with the release of SP-2.

My advice is anyone who has updated the driver for the MN 720 to the new
version, if you're not having problems, leave well enough alone. However,
if you notice a degradation in signal, roll back the driver to the previous
version.

Hopefully someone at MS will read the threads and respond.

There appear to be three people who have seen a problem with signal strength
and the new MN-720/MN-730 driver. I made the decision to ship the new
driver. Based on our testing it is somewhat better than the older driver in
a few areas and was no worse than it. We have done significant testing on
the driver here and have been unable to reproduce the problem you are seeing
with any of the many different types of notebook computers we have. Without
more detailed information about your configuration it is impossible for us
to do anything other than tell you to switch back to the old driver.

If you don't want to get information about available updates, you can change
the setting: BNU-->Tools-->Options...--><uncheck> Automatically check for
software updates

One thing to remember is that wireless is not exact and that it can be
affected by things that we can not see. Also, it is not a good idea to have
the wireless adapter too close to the base station.

--
Neel Malik
Program Manager

"CS" <CS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Jay" <lifestyles@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > I haven't heard whether the new drivers are causing problems for users
> of
> > > Win9X\ME or Win2000.
> > >

> > My win98 laptop is sitting right beside the router - only the first 2
bars
> > in signal strength meter light up since the update. All of them used to
> > light up.
>
> Thanks Jay. I think what we have here is a buggy driver. I might not
have
> thought so if you were running XP, thinking it could be a problem awaiting
> resolution with the release of SP-2.
>
> My advice is anyone who has updated the driver for the MN 720 to the new
> version, if you're not having problems, leave well enough alone. However,
> if you notice a degradation in signal, roll back the driver to the
previous
> version.
>
> Hopefully someone at MS will read the threads and respond.

Cs

Hello Neel:

I have already posted detailed information regarding my notebook computer
when I was being assisted with the problem by Ms. Bowman. However, I will
be happy to post them again for you.

My MN 720 is installed in a Toshiba Satellite model 1135-S1553. BIOS
version 1.70A 9/2/2003. XP Home, P-IV 2.40 Ghz, 512 mb system memory. The
Base Station MN 700, is located about 30 feet away and is wired to my
desktop computer. The desktop is likewise running XP Home.

I have tried using the new driver with WEP turned on and turned off. With
WEP turned on, (64 bit) the signal degrades to about half of what the older
driver provided. If I increase WEP to 128, the signal is pretty much gone.
Turning WEP off altogether, the signal quality is almost as good as the
older driver but less consistent. However, it is useable.

Also, you state below that three people have seen the problem. It's my
opinion that there are probably going to be more as the new update is
downloaded and installed to the MS hardware. Note also - that this does not
appear to be operating system dependent as one person has reported the same
problem using Win98.

If you need any further details or information, please feel free to ask.
Thanks.

Regards.

"Neel Malik [MSFT]" <neelm@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There appear to be three people who have seen a problem with signal
strength
> and the new MN-720/MN-730 driver. I made the decision to ship the new
> driver. Based on our testing it is somewhat better than the older driver
in
> a few areas and was no worse than it. We have done significant testing on
> the driver here and have been unable to reproduce the problem you are
seeing
> with any of the many different types of notebook computers we have.
Without
> more detailed information about your configuration it is impossible for us
> to do anything other than tell you to switch back to the old driver.
>
> If you don't want to get information about available updates, you can
change
> the setting: BNU-->Tools-->Options...--><uncheck> Automatically check for
> software updates
>
> One thing to remember is that wireless is not exact and that it can be
> affected by things that we can not see. Also, it is not a good idea to
have
> the wireless adapter too close to the base station.
>
> --
> Neel Malik
> Program Manager
> Microsoft Corporation

rights.

> "CS" <CS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Jay" <lifestyles@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > of
> > > >

> > > My win98 laptop is sitting right beside the router - only the first 2
> bars
> > > in signal strength meter light up since the update. All of them used
> > > light up.
> >
> > Thanks Jay. I think what we have here is a buggy driver. I might not
> have
> > thought so if you were running XP, thinking it could be a problem
awaiting
> > resolution with the release of SP-2.
> >
> > My advice is anyone who has updated the driver for the MN 720 to the new
> > version, if you're not having problems, leave well enough alone.
However,
> > if you notice a degradation in signal, roll back the driver to the
> previous
> > version.
> >
> > Hopefully someone at MS will read the threads and respond.

abc

I also got a decrease in signal strength. Do you test with other routers,
etc.. around. I have many neighbours with wireless around me, and I'm
thinking maybe there is interference. Anyway, I don't know much about those
hardware/software, and I may be replying to a too old post here.

"Neel Malik [MSFT]" <neelm@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There appear to be three people who have seen a problem with signal
strength
> and the new MN-720/MN-730 driver. I made the decision to ship the new
> driver. Based on our testing it is somewhat better than the older driver
in
> a few areas and was no worse than it. We have done significant testing on
> the driver here and have been unable to reproduce the problem you are
seeing
> with any of the many different types of notebook computers we have.
Without
> more detailed information about your configuration it is impossible for us
> to do anything other than tell you to switch back to the old driver.
>
> If you don't want to get information about available updates, you can
change
> the setting: BNU-->Tools-->Options...--><uncheck> Automatically check for
> software updates
>
> One thing to remember is that wireless is not exact and that it can be
> affected by things that we can not see. Also, it is not a good idea to
have
> the wireless adapter too close to the base station.
>
> --
> Neel Malik
> Program Manager
> Microsoft Corporation

rights.

> "CS" <CS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Jay" <lifestyles@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > of
> > > >

> > > My win98 laptop is sitting right beside the router - only the first 2
> bars
> > > in signal strength meter light up since the update. All of them used
> > > light up.
> >
> > Thanks Jay. I think what we have here is a buggy driver. I might not
> have
> > thought so if you were running XP, thinking it could be a problem
awaiting
> > resolution with the release of SP-2.
> >
> > My advice is anyone who has updated the driver for the MN 720 to the new
> > version, if you're not having problems, leave well enough alone.
However,
> > if you notice a degradation in signal, roll back the driver to the
> previous
> > version.
> >
> > Hopefully someone at MS will read the threads and respond.

Cs

Microsoft would not normally test other routers. This group is about MS
hardware not any other brand.

"abc" <abc@def.xyz> wrote in message
> I also got a decrease in signal strength. Do you test with other routers,
> etc.. around. I have many neighbours with wireless around me, and I'm
> thinking maybe there is interference. Anyway, I don't know much about
those
> hardware/software, and I may be replying to a too old post here.
>

> "Neel Malik [MSFT]" <neelm@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > There appear to be three people who have seen a problem with signal
> strength
> > and the new MN-720/MN-730 driver. I made the decision to ship the new
> > driver. Based on our testing it is somewhat better than the older driver
> in
> > a few areas and was no worse than it. We have done significant testing
on
> > the driver here and have been unable to reproduce the problem you are
> seeing
> > with any of the many different types of notebook computers we have.
> Without
> > more detailed information about your configuration it is impossible for
us
> > to do anything other than tell you to switch back to the old driver.
> >
> > If you don't want to get information about available updates, you can
> change
> > the setting: BNU-->Tools-->Options...--><uncheck> Automatically check
for
> > software updates
> >
> > One thing to remember is that wireless is not exact and that it can be
> > affected by things that we can not see. Also, it is not a good idea to
> have
> > the wireless adapter too close to the base station.
> >
> > --
> > Neel Malik
> > Program Manager
> > Microsoft Corporation

> rights.
> >

> > "CS" <CS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > "Jay" <lifestyles@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> users
> > > of

> > bars
> > >
> > > Thanks Jay. I think what we have here is a buggy driver. I might
not
> > have
> > > thought so if you were running XP, thinking it could be a problem
> awaiting
> > > resolution with the release of SP-2.
> > >
> > > My advice is anyone who has updated the driver for the MN 720 to the
new
> > > version, if you're not having problems, leave well enough alone.
> However,
> > > if you notice a degradation in signal, roll back the driver to the
> > previous
> > > version.
> > >
> > > Hopefully someone at MS will read the threads and respond.

I have a MN-700 and MN-720. What I meant is that my neighbours probably have
other wireless hardware that is not Microsoft. Could it be possible that
there is inteference between those hardware and my Microsoft ones. At
Microsoft, maybe they only test with Microsoft hardware. Anyway, it would
depends if hardware from different manufacturers can interfere with each
other. Hope I have been able to explain myself this time.

> Microsoft would not normally test other routers. This group is about MS
> hardware not any other brand.
>
> "abc" <abc@def.xyz> wrote in message
> > I also got a decrease in signal strength. Do you test with other
routers,
> > etc.. around. I have many neighbours with wireless around me, and I'm
> > thinking maybe there is interference. Anyway, I don't know much about
> those
> > hardware/software, and I may be replying to a too old post here.
> >

> > "Neel Malik [MSFT]" <neelm@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > There appear to be three people who have seen a problem with signal
> > strength
> > > and the new MN-720/MN-730 driver. I made the decision to ship the new
> > > driver. Based on our testing it is somewhat better than the older
driver
> > in
> > > a few areas and was no worse than it. We have done significant testing
> on
> > > the driver here and have been unable to reproduce the problem you are
> > seeing
> > > with any of the many different types of notebook computers we have.
> > Without
> > > more detailed information about your configuration it is impossible
for
> us
> > > to do anything other than tell you to switch back to the old driver.
> > >
> > > If you don't want to get information about available updates, you can
> > change
> > > the setting: BNU-->Tools-->Options...--><uncheck> Automatically check
> for
> > > software updates
> > >
> > > One thing to remember is that wireless is not exact and that it can be
> > > affected by things that we can not see. Also, it is not a good idea to
> > have
> > > the wireless adapter too close to the base station.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Neel Malik
> > > Program Manager
> > > Microsoft Corporation

> > rights.
> > >

> > > "CS" <CS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > users

> 2
> > > bars
> used

> not
> > > have
> > awaiting

> new
> > However,
> > > previous

Cs

Hi:

Have you recently updated the driver to your MN 720? If so, try rolling
back the driver to the previous version and test for signal strength. As
for interference from other equipment, be it other wireless equipment or
something as simple as a cordless phone, yes it's possible.

Regards.