edpsx

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
Here is my current setup:
GA-7VAXP
1700+
512mb PC3200
32mb GF2 MX

I was wondering which upgrade I should goto next, Video Card or CPU? I am experiencing more lagg now in games than I would like. Im guessing Vid card (9500 Pro) would do me the most good.. but I wanted other opinions on this as well.

Thanks in Advance.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'd say that video card has got to go. Heh heh. A poor little GF2MX just doesn't really belong in a serious gaming rig.

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?

edpsx

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
thats what I figured.. my cpu isnt that old and besides the FSB really determines the speed of the computer anyways and that GF2 is old.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Specifically though, new video cards have hardware to process things like lighting effects and such that old cards like the GF2MX just don't have. So getting a new video card will take a lot of that kind of pressure off of your CPU entirely, allowing your CPU to do more towards actual game processing.

Plus the new graphics cards just plain have a heap more raw 3D rendering power, so they can rip through 3D rendering that would have staggered your GF2MX, making your FPS jump up more than a CPU ugprade would. :)

So if your primary reason for upgrading is for games then upgrading your graphics card just makes a lot more sense.

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Get a better video card first. I am also in a similar situation, using nForce IGP-128 with my Duron 1 GHz. I'm planning to upgrade the video card before upgrading CPU

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26708#26708" target="_new"> Go to my CPU Vendor Poll </A>