DVD writer very slow

I have installed a DVD writer (LG on slave eide) on my Dimension 9100 with
D820 cpu, but when i write a DVD, the process results very very slow.
Before, on a self made PC (no sata only eide, P4 1.8Ghz), the writing
process for a 4.3Gb DVD take almost 16 minutes; now the time is doubled and
any other process is almost freezed...

(wtf... sorry for my bad english) :)

"Trementina" <ooo@ooo.ooo> wrote in message
>I have installed a DVD writer (LG on slave eide) on my Dimension 9100 with
>D820 cpu, but when i write a DVD, the process results very very slow.
> Before, on a self made PC (no sata only eide, P4 1.8Ghz), the writing
> process for a 4.3Gb DVD take almost 16 minutes; now the time is doubled
> and any other process is almost freezed...
>
> (wtf... sorry for my bad english) :)

Hmm. What burning ROM application are you using and what speed/type of
media? Also, generally what type of file(s) or image?

Stew

S.Lewis <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

> Hmm. What burning ROM application are you using and what speed/type of
> media? Also, generally what type of file(s) or image?

Ok.
I use Nero 6.3, the DVD isa a Princo 1 to 4x (the DVD writer also support
max 4x).
I make a Data DVD from "c:\directory" (Seagate sata HD) directly to DVD
(eide on slave connector).
I have the same problem with every DVD type and brand, and if i copy "on the
fly" from DVD reader to DVD writer...

I have the same problem at office (Dimension 5100).

I have used the same configuration in every PC "no-dell" that i have
prepared...

:-(

Trementina <ooo@ooo.ooo> wrote:

> I have used the same configuration in every PC "no-dell" that i have
> prepared...

....without problems.

"Trementina" <ooo@ooo.ooo> wrote in message
>I have installed a DVD writer (LG on slave eide) on my Dimension 9100 with
>D820 cpu, but when i write a DVD, the process results very very slow.
> Before, on a self made PC (no sata only eide, P4 1.8Ghz), the writing
> process for a 4.3Gb DVD take almost 16 minutes; now the time is doubled
> and any other process is almost freezed...
>
> (wtf... sorry for my bad english) :)

Slave? Hopefully you didn't jumper it as Slave. It's a Dell! It should be
Cable Select.

That's not the likely problem though. It sounds like you didn't go into the
BIOS and change the drive from OFF to AUTO. In OFF, it works, but in PIO
mode. You need AUTO to run in DMA mode.

Tom

> "Trementina" <ooo@ooo.ooo> wrote in message
>>I have installed a DVD writer (LG on slave eide) on my Dimension 9100 with

> BIOS and change the drive from OFF to AUTO. In OFF, it works, but in PIO
> mode. You need AUTO to run in DMA mode.
>
> Tom
Can the Device manager in Windows shows Ultra DMA 2 and Auto Detect on the
drive in the IDE list and have it be OFF in the Bios?

This is because I recently moved my Dell NEC 1100A from a Dim4550 P4 2.8 1GB
to a Dim2350 P4 2.8 512MB and it is molasses slow burning - slows everything
down a lot. It is exactly as if running PIO, but the device manager shows
as DMA.

I knew it would be slower burning (I don't care how long each disc takes, I
just prefer 3 DVDs over 12 CDs) but the slowing of the entire system bugs me
somewhat.

I run Always: Eudora e-mail, NIS 2004, Winfax Pro, Occasionally:
WordPerfect or IE or Firefox or OE

Every key stroke/ mouse click is delayed slightly. Not a big deal, but
annoying none the less.

On the Dim 4550 (both machines are same generation - bought about a month
apart) I can run all of the above at the same time as burning a disc - no
problems. This even when it had the original 512MB.

I've tried Easy CD Creator 5 (whichever came with the Dell) and and using
Nero 6.6

Any theories on what may be done appreciated. I'll look in the BIOS when
the discs currently burning finish.

Thanks Cynthia

"Cynthia G" <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> "Trementina" <ooo@ooo.ooo> wrote in message
>>>I have installed a DVD writer (LG on slave eide) on my Dimension 9100
>>>with
>
>> BIOS and change the drive from OFF to AUTO. In OFF, it works, but in PIO
>> mode. You need AUTO to run in DMA mode.
>>
>> Tom
> Can the Device manager in Windows shows Ultra DMA 2 and Auto Detect on the
> drive in the IDE list and have it be OFF in the Bios?
>
> This is because I recently moved my Dell NEC 1100A from a Dim4550 P4 2.8
> 1GB to a Dim2350 P4 2.8 512MB and it is molasses slow burning - slows
> everything down a lot. It is exactly as if running PIO, but the device
> manager shows as DMA.

1. OK, apologies the Dim2350 is P4 2.0 (but the 4550 is probably the same,
too)

> I knew it would be slower burning (I don't care how long each disc takes,
> I just prefer 3 DVDs over 12 CDs) but the slowing of the entire system
> bugs me somewhat.
>
> I run Always: Eudora e-mail, NIS 2004, Winfax Pro, Occasionally:
> WordPerfect or IE or Firefox or OE
>
> Every key stroke/ mouse click is delayed slightly. Not a big deal, but
> annoying none the less.
>
> On the Dim 4550 (both machines are same generation - bought about a month
> apart) I can run all of the above at the same time as burning a disc - no
> problems. This even when it had the original 512MB.
>
> I've tried Easy CD Creator 5 (whichever came with the Dell) and and using
> Nero 6.6
>
> Any theories on what may be done appreciated. I'll look in the BIOS when
> the discs currently burning finish.

The BIOS shows the NEC 1100 as #1 Drive , Secondary IDE. Since I moved this
from one Dell to another - it is severely unlikely that the jumper is
anything other than CS.

> Thanks Cynthia
Again. Cynthia

Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

> Slave? Hopefully you didn't jumper it as Slave. It's a Dell! It
> should be Cable Select.

UH!

> That's not the likely problem though. It sounds like you didn't go
> into the BIOS and change the drive from OFF to AUTO. In OFF, it
> works, but in PIO mode. You need AUTO to run in DMA mode.
> Tom

Ok, thanks! I try!
:)

> "Cynthia G" <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The BIOS shows the NEC 1100 as #1 Drive , Secondary IDE. Since I moved
> this from one Dell to another - it is severely unlikely that the jumper is
> anything other than CS.
>
>> Thanks Cynthia
> Again. Cynthia

Cynthia,

Your 4550 is likely faster that 2.0. Mine is a 2.66. I have never looked at
the difference between Windows and the BIOS, but I would bet that Windows is
correctly reporting it. Easiest way is to just look.

I'd guess it is just performance differences between the machines. Same
amount of memory? Same things running in the background?

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:
> "Cynthia G" <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Cynthia G" <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> Cynthia,
>
> Your 4550 is likely faster that 2.0. Mine is a 2.66. I have never
> looked at
> the difference between Windows and the BIOS, but I would bet that
> Windows is
> correctly reporting it. Easiest way is to just look.
>
> I'd guess it is just performance differences between the machines.
> Same
> amount of memory? Same things running in the background?
>
> Tom

You're right Tom. Just got home. It's 2.53. The 4550 has double the
ram but likely a few more background apps. It also never had this type
of lag when it did have equiv. ram. The 2350 has only the 3 progs
running for sure, with possibly some work happening in one of the others
when required (it's in my office - sometimes I'm busier than other
times).

The BIOS shows the NEC and the Windows says DMA, so I guess there is
more difference between the 2 systems than I thought. But I knew it
would take longer for a disc to burn and I did expect less performance
than the 4550 (which never slowed at all in any way - it currently
runs 2 burners concurrently with other stuff - no trouble) but I'm just
somewhat disappointed by how much less.

I can live with it, just thought I'd ask for some thoughts.

Thanks for your reply.
--
Cynthia
I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com