Is it True ?

vinCe

According to a saleperson at STAPLES store, the "free printers" that
Dell bundles with PCs are compatible only with Dell ink cartridges.

When I mentioned this during recent conversation, I was informed that
other manufacturers do the same thing: bundle "free Printers" that
use proprietary ink cartridges.

In article <akr1g15kkiaf4bov6vdhurfdn7oor4ie0r@4ax.com>,
Vince <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

>According to a saleperson at STAPLES store, the "free printers" that
>Dell bundles with PCs are compatible only with Dell ink cartridges.
>
>When I mentioned this during recent conversation, I was informed that
>other manufacturers do the same thing: bundle "free Printers" that
>use proprietary ink cartridges.

These days, the profit is in the ink, not the printer. This is like
Gilette's model for razors: the razor is a loss-leader, the replacement
blades are where the profit is.

Links:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/0,39023165,39150193,00.htm
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9220
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20030708/1645253_F.shtml
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/27/2041207&tid=173&tid=137
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/30/1155250&tid=194

Quoting from the first: "We will ultimately introduce smart technology on
all our supplies products," Vincent Vanderpoel, vice-president for HP's
Asia-Pacific supplies business, told a press gathering in Singapore.
Printer supplies account for around half of the $US25 billion in annual
revenues racked up by HP's imaging and printing group.

Smart chip technology has proven controversial because in many instances
it makes it difficult or impossible for third parties to refill ink
cartridges, since the chip will tell the printer it has no ink left even
after the refill is performed..."

-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com

To sum up the answer to your question in one word, yes. To elaborate
further, if we are talking about ink jet printers with the Dell brand on
them, those are manufactured by Lexmark. And no, you can not put a Lexmark
cartridge in them. You must purchase a Dell brand cartridge.

As to the issue of other computer makers and their "printer bundle offers",
an Epson is an Epson and an HP is an HP. They both make their own
cartridges for their printers. So do third party cartridge manufacturers.
But only Epson makes a genuine Epson cartridge and only HP makes a genuine
HP cartridge.

"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> According to a saleperson at STAPLES store, the "free printers" that
> Dell bundles with PCs are compatible only with Dell ink cartridges.
>
> When I mentioned this during recent conversation, I was informed that
> other manufacturers do the same thing: bundle "free Printers" that
> use proprietary ink cartridges.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> According to a saleperson at STAPLES store, the "free printers" that
> Dell bundles with PCs are compatible only with Dell ink cartridges.
>
> When I mentioned this during recent conversation, I was informed that
> other manufacturers do the same thing: bundle "free Printers" that
> use proprietary ink cartridges.

Uhh---everyone's ink cartridges are "proprietary"...sure, with some brands
there are third parties refilling and reselling used cartridges but nobody
is making them from scratch other than the original manufacturer.

Erehwon

One difference, however, is that you can go to most office supply stores,
Wal-Mart, etc., and buy HP, Epson, or Lexmark cartridges. I haven't seen
anyone selling Dell cartridges so you'll have to order them direct. To me,
that's an inconvenience I wouldn't accept for consumables. I guess there's
always the option of refilling. Recently, I've also seen refilled Dell
cartridges at Staples. No wonder they're willing to take your empties.

"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> To sum up the answer to your question in one word, yes. To elaborate
> further, if we are talking about ink jet printers with the Dell brand on
> them, those are manufactured by Lexmark. And no, you can not put a
> Lexmark cartridge in them. You must purchase a Dell brand cartridge.
>
> As to the issue of other computer makers and their "printer bundle
> offers", an Epson is an Epson and an HP is an HP. They both make their
> own cartridges for their printers. So do third party cartridge
> manufacturers. But only Epson makes a genuine Epson cartridge and only HP
> makes a genuine HP cartridge.
>
> "Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> According to a saleperson at STAPLES store, the "free printers" that
>> Dell bundles with PCs are compatible only with Dell ink cartridges.
>>
>> When I mentioned this during recent conversation, I was informed that
>> other manufacturers do the same thing: bundle "free Printers" that
>> use proprietary ink cartridges.

.... or the factory that manufactures the cartridges for the name brand company,
which is how I interpret "OEM". Dell does not actually run an inkjet cartridge
factory. They farm out the assembly of most of their computers. Another
company, Lexmark (?), makes the printers for Dell with unique Dell styling and a
Dell logo. Doubtless Lexmark cranks out Dell's cartridges, too... Ben Myers

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:54:29 -0400, "george" <nowhere@newsonly.com> wrote:

>"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> According to a saleperson at STAPLES store, the "free printers" that
>> Dell bundles with PCs are compatible only with Dell ink cartridges.
>>
>> When I mentioned this during recent conversation, I was informed that
>> other manufacturers do the same thing: bundle "free Printers" that
>> use proprietary ink cartridges.
>>

>Uhh---everyone's ink cartridges are "proprietary"...sure, with some brands
>there are third parties refilling and reselling used cartridges but nobody
>is making them from scratch other than the original manufacturer.

Dell and Lexmark cartridges are interchangeable...almost.
The easily removable top is the only difference in the carts.
A Lexmark printer can use Dell cartridges simply by removing a small piece
of plastic from the printer.
It is inside the cover of the cartridge housing.
I know someone who has done this successfully.
I believe a similar modification would work on the Dell printer.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in

> It is inside the cover of the cartridge housing.
> I know someone who has done this successfully.
> I believe a similar modification would work on the Dell printer.

I've done this too, using Lexmark #82 and #83 cartridges in a Dell A940.
I probably wouldn't recommend this in general, but in my case the A940
was a freebie POS that I didn't really want anyway so it would have been
no big loss if I broke it.

There's a little plastic pin that sticks down from the cartridge housing
lid. If you use a "Dell" cartridge, there's an indentation on the
cartridge where the pin lands, on a "lexmark" cartridge it hits the top
of the cartridge and won't let you close it. Just trim the pin away.

<FM>

Tom Scales wrote:

> For a printer worth nothing.

And a bargain at half the price!