I think I may have a bad motherboard. If I change motherboards, what else do
I need to change? Memory, would that be all? Just install the new
motherboard and new memory and use all the other components already in the
computer, such as hard drive, video card, etc.? Thanks.

Sim

Download Everest Home from this website..

http://www.lavalys.com/

It will tell you what you presently have.. then select a motherboard and go
to this site..

http://www.crucial.com and determine what memory is required and if it is
the same as Everest reports fore your system..

The hard drive, video card and (presumably) sound card should all transfer
over.. you will need to do a repair install of XP.. for this, go to
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Sim E Terry" <gp@er.net> wrote in message
>I think I may have a bad motherboard. If I change motherboards, what else
>do I need to change? Memory, would that be all? Just install the new
>motherboard and new memory and use all the other components already in the
>computer, such as hard drive, video card, etc.? Thanks.

Thanks a lot, Mike. The information you've given me couldn't get any better.

> Sim
>
> Download Everest Home from this website..
>
> http://www.lavalys.com/
>
> It will tell you what you presently have.. then select a motherboard and
> go to this site..
>
> http://www.crucial.com and determine what memory is required and if it is
> the same as Everest reports fore your system..
>
> The hard drive, video card and (presumably) sound card should all transfer
> over.. you will need to do a repair install of XP.. for this, go to
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Sim E Terry" <gp@er.net> wrote in message
>>I think I may have a bad motherboard. If I change motherboards, what else
>>do I need to change? Memory, would that be all? Just install the new
>>motherboard and new memory and use all the other components already in the
>>computer, such as hard drive, video card, etc.? Thanks.

Good luck with the change over..

--

"Sim E Terry" <gp@er.net> wrote:

>I think I may have a bad motherboard. If I change motherboards, what else do
>I need to change? Memory, would that be all? Just install the new
>motherboard and new memory and use all the other components already in the
>computer, such as hard drive, video card, etc.? Thanks.

If your Windows XP is an OEM version that came bundled with the
computer when it was new, and if that OEM version is BIOS locked then
it is possible that your Windows XP will be unusable with the new
motherboard *unless* that motherboard is from the company that
manufactured/assembled the computer originally.

To check if your Windows XP is an OEM version open Control Panel -
System (you can also get there by right-clicking on "My Computer" and
selecting Properties or by pressing WindowsKey+Pause) and looking at
the 20 character Product I.D. value that is reported on the last line
of the "Registered to" section. If the second segment (3 characters)
of the Product I.D. reads OEM then your Windows XP is an OEM version.

If your Windows XP is an OEM version then you can check to see if it
is BIOS locked by looking on the Start menu under Accessories - System
Tools. If there is no entry for "Activate Windows" then your OEM
version is BIOS locked.

As of 1 March 2005 Microsoft changed the activation procedures so that
BIOS Locked versions, which are self-activating on a motherboard with
the correct BIOS version, cannot be activated over the Internet and
telephone activations will normally be declined.

Good luck
Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP