Dying AMD - not trolling, really

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Is anyone else concerned regarding AMD's business practices? They lost around 850 million dollars last quarter (supposidly limiting cash to around 200 million left - although who really knows, right?). Intel doubled their profits last quarter as compared to 4th qtr 2001. Sun lost around 2 billion dollars. Microsoft actually had enough profits to pay a dividend (instead of just dumping the extra profits back into the company via retained earnings). Are we seeing a Microsoft-Intel completely dominated future? This doesn't look good for anyone except the employees of the two giants (which, by the way, are STILL hiring people during the economic flatline). Any thoughts?

I'm just your average habitual smiler =D

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
600 million come from a extrodinarie expense so that just a 200 million lost.

Intel have layoff 7% of they work force most come from the fact that intel need less staff dor 300 mm wafer reducing expende to reach a 51% groos profit margin many are hiring like Rambus.All DRAM make big lose exception to Samsung because it produce GDRAM and RDRAM

Now what to do??

dhlucke

Polypheme
I think you have to wait until the economy turns north before fully evaluating the situation. I personally think AMD will do just fine. They need to break into the OEM market, like Intel has, to fully realize their potential though.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
But my point is, the economic upswing may still be a year away (or more). Can AMD really loose this much money for much longer (and they say now that the 64 bit chips won't come onto the market until christmas of this year at earliest -- so no huge profitable products soon, right?).

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So question to ask you is this. Do you think companys will not buy Amd 64 just for it after christmas. Thing is Everyone trying to save money so there going to try for the cheaper chips. So That going to be aiming right at Amd.

Valinor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
LOL I hope AMD aint going down, could anyone imagine the prices intel would charge if they were the only game in town?! :O

The only infinite things in life are the universe and human stupidity

G

>They lost around 850 million dollars last quarter
>(supposidly limiting cash to around 200 million left -
>although who really knows, right?).

There is a difference in posting a loss, and burning cash. Many of these losses, dont affect your cash position. From what I heard, AMD would still have around 1 billion in the bank, thanks to slower repayments of FAB30 and external financing. They should be able to survive 3 or 4 more bad quarters..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

edpsx

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
Well.. only problem with all this is if we go to war, which more than likely is gonna happen. Then our economy will really go down the crapper.

vacs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
850.000.000$ net loss is normal to AMD :) I wouldn't worry about it.

Well maybe AMD will make some revenue this quarter due to the Bartons but I don't believe that AMD will make any money from its Hammer architecture in both server and desktop domain until 2004.

I'm just wondering what AMD thought when they announced today 90nm Hammer Athlons for Q4 2003? Please come back to the reald world neo, eh sorry, AMD!

Flipphone

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
i wouldnt worry about amd they had some 1 time charges and like others already said really lost less im sure this year i bleieve amd was targeting marketshare like General Motors has done in the auto industry.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Well.. only problem with all this is if we go to war, which more than likely is gonna happen. Then our economy will really go down the crapper.

Wars improve the economy.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Well, unless they are really long or very costly (in terms of human life). Then it can kind of slow the economy. But this should be speedy (man, of the what 120-150k known soldiers in the middle east, about 65,000 of them are marines!).

eden

Champion
....and there goes another perfectly fine thread, turning slowly into a political debate raging for pages worth....

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
lol...i could revitalize it by saying something like
"AMD going down the hole", but i won't lol
I wonder though - don't companies typically want to make money? he he

eden

Champion
Their stocks are not doing well either. I thought the IBM news would have skyrocketed them but they are at a low 6$.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
....and there goes another perfectly fine thread, turning slowly into a political debate raging for pages worth....
Like my "China Pushes Homegrown Chips" thread. Hope it does not

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26708#26708" target="_new"> Go to my CPU Vendor Poll </A>

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Actually, if it gets much worse (since IBM and UMC are really supporting AMD's production), IBM might just decide to buy AMD, lol (or let them die -- that's possible too). Kind of cheap for IBM to do a huge stock buyout-takeover (get 51% of the company through stock and put specific people on the board of directors). Let's see, it's about 6 bucks a share (and will probably go lower, but we'll keep it at 6) and based upon the 850 mill loss at 2.50 a share, that's 340 million shares in existance (approx), so 340 * 6.50 (cuz that's a good average - cuz when IBM starts buying stock, the price will go up) is about 2.2 billion dollars. Hmm, i don't know if that's worth it to IBM to have controlling interest in AMD (for a buyout or other means). We'll see...