Help - how do I remove 4mm tape from drive.

I have a non-working drive with a 4mm tape inserted. I cannot power up
the drive but I have taken the cover off and can see it. Is there any
way to manually eject this tape? Thanks.

Why not power up the drive? If it is an internal drive, it draws its power from
any standard 4-pin 5v12v power connector inside a computer. If it is an
external drive and you are lacking a power transformer, open up the external
case and remove it, then use it as an internal drive.

Or is it simply that the drive does not respond to power? If so, disassemble
the drive to remove the cartridge. It is non-working anyway... Ben Myers

poison_1024@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have a non-working drive with a 4mm tape inserted. I cannot power up
> the drive but I have taken the cover off and can see it. Is there any
> way to manually eject this tape? Thanks.

Try turning some gears, and if you see the tape getting unhooked and
winded back into the cartridge, keep turning. If the tape is in the
cartridge, keep turning until the cartridge is pushed out of the drive.

--
Alex.

Yes, that was basically it. But first I had to disconnect the motor
with the worm gear so that I could manually spin the plastic gears. It
wasn't hard but it certainly wasn't obvious.

The drive had no power and had no user controls - it was from an
autoloader.

Disassemble the drive sounds easier than it is. See my other reply on
how it is done.

poison_1024@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have a non-working drive with a 4mm tape inserted. I cannot power up
> the drive but I have taken the cover off and can see it. Is there any
> way to manually eject this tape? Thanks.

If it's an HP drive (well the 153xx series) there's a designed in way
to extract tapes manually. If I remember correctly there's a little
hole through which you insert a small screwdriver and turn it. This
ejects the tape.

--
Chris Green