IS There Anything Not to Like About Dell 19" Ultrsharp LCD..

Mike

Splendid

Display will be used for watching dvd's, web browsing, some graphic
programs, word processing.
Is there anything not like about this display for the uses described above?

Mike

Yes ... that there is a 20'' Ultrasharp LCD Display :)

"Mike" <question@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Display will be used for watching dvd's, web browsing, some graphic
> programs, word processing.
> Is there anything not like about this display for the uses described
> above?
>
> Mike

And the 20" UltraSharp FPW (flat panel WIDE screen) :)
"Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes ... that there is a 20'' Ultrasharp LCD Display :)
>
> "Mike" <question@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Display will be used for watching dvd's, web browsing, some graphic
>> programs, word processing.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

In article <ME_Le.5593$1b5.4133@trnddc05>, "Mike" <question@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Display will be used for watching dvd's, web browsing, some graphic
>programs, word processing.
>Is there anything not like about this display for the uses described above?

I had one (1905FP) and returned it. Why? ...

1) It had what looked like a hairline scratch or a strange set of
dead pixels. Could have replaced it, but ...
2) Even at 0 brightness level, I thought it still far too bright
(you'll see other comments about this in this ng). Could have lived
with it, but ...
3) DVD's streaked. I tried Star Wars ANH and there was what I
considered unacceptable delay resulting in smearing as a certain
black-suited character walked by. Also could see smearing as lips
moved. Also found a lot of strange colors and artifacts in certain
scenes that weren't there with my old CRT.
4) I just couldn't stand the look of the default type. Very
pixelish. Yes, default 1280x1024. I tried switching to clear type
fonts. I thought they looked better, except very fuzzy.
Unacceptable.

I absolutely loved the look of the monitor on my desk. I loved the
price ($300). And the amount of text on a screen. I really wanted
to love it. But I couldn't. It just plain stank for what it was
supposed to do.

This is just my experience. Obviously plenty of others love it. I
didn't think I was that picky about monitors. Your mileage may
vary, but I'd suggest testing one out before buying.

Mike

Splendid

Yes, but I believe it takes 3X the video horsepower to draw the screen.

Mike

"Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes ... that there is a 20'' Ultrasharp LCD Display :)
>
> "Mike" <question@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Display will be used for watching dvd's, web browsing, some graphic
>> programs, word processing.
>> Is there anything not like about this display for the uses described
>> above?
>>
>> Mike

Mike

Splendid

A couple years ago, I configured a D800 notebook w/ high resolution
widescreen and had a devil of a time
w/ some web pages hard coded to 4:3 aspect ratio. I wonder if the aspect
ratio problem has changed?

Mike

"Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> And the 20" UltraSharp FPW (flat panel WIDE screen) :)
> "Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yes ... that there is a 20'' Ultrasharp LCD Display :)
>>
>> "Mike" <question@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Display will be used for watching dvd's, web browsing, some graphic
>>> programs, word processing.

??? What kind of problems???

>A couple years ago, I configured a D800 notebook w/ high resolution
>widescreen and had a devil of a time
> w/ some web pages hard coded to 4:3 aspect ratio. I wonder if the
> aspect ratio problem has changed?

Mike

Splendid

Whew, sorry to hear of your proiblems. Sounds to me like you're having
problems with a misconfigured or under powered video adapter.

Mike

"Dave" <dm@nospam.com> wrote in message
> In article <ME_Le.5593$1b5.4133@trnddc05>, "Mike" <question@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>>Display will be used for watching dvd's, web browsing, some graphic
>>programs, word processing.
>>Is there anything not like about this display for the uses described
>>above?
>

> I had one (1905FP) and returned it. Why? ...
>
> 1) It had what looked like a hairline scratch or a strange set of
> dead pixels. Could have replaced it, but ...
> 2) Even at 0 brightness level, I thought it still far too bright
> (you'll see other comments about this in this ng). Could have lived
> with it, but ...
> 3) DVD's streaked. I tried Star Wars ANH and there was what I
> considered unacceptable delay resulting in smearing as a certain
> black-suited character walked by. Also could see smearing as lips
> moved. Also found a lot of strange colors and artifacts in certain
> scenes that weren't there with my old CRT.
> 4) I just couldn't stand the look of the default type. Very
> pixelish. Yes, default 1280x1024. I tried switching to clear type
> fonts. I thought they looked better, except very fuzzy.
> Unacceptable.
>
> I absolutely loved the look of the monitor on my desk. I loved the
> price ($300). And the amount of text on a screen. I really wanted
> to love it. But I couldn't. It just plain stank for what it was
> supposed to do.
>
> This is just my experience. Obviously plenty of others love it. I
> didn't think I was that picky about monitors. Your mileage may
> vary, but I'd suggest testing one out before buying.

Mike

Splendid

Any responses from people who actually own a 20" lcd wide screen display?
Like hear of any problems w/ it before my buddy buys one.

Mike

"Mike" <question@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Display will be used for watching dvd's, web browsing, some graphic
> programs, word processing.
> Is there anything not like about this display for the uses described
> above?
>
> Mike

I have Dell's UltraSharp 20" wide screen LCD. You didn't list gaming as one
of the uses. I'm not a gamer either so I can address that point of view,
but, I do watch DVDs, browse the web, lots of graphic work (photo editing)
and word processing. LOVE this monitor! I've had no problems with it. The
only thing I had to do was use it in it's native resolution to keep graphics
from being horizontally stretched. That made the text too small for me to
view comfortably. With advice from this group, I increased the DPI setting
from a default 96 to 113% and changed from small icons to large...problem
solved. And wait till you try the monitor is portrait mode...too cool!
Much less scrolling when browsing the web and perfect for word processing.
Click on the link below to see a picture of the monitor in portrait mode. I
was one that held out for a long time on going with a LCD. All the experts
said that it just wasn't there yet for photo editing buffs and even the
reviews now on this monitor says "for all but the most serious of photo
editors". Well, I must not be as serious as I thought. I'm finding no
faults with it for photo editing (or anything else for that matter).
Monica
http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/image/43798596

In article <lvbMe.2952$Y55.290@trnddc06>, "Mike" <question@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Whew, sorry to hear of your proiblems. Sounds to me like you're having
>problems with a misconfigured or under powered video adapter.

Hmmm, I never considered that. Perhaps. Would a 2.5 yr old
GeForce4 Ti4200 be that behind the curve now?

"Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
> ??? What kind of problems???
>
> "Mike" <question@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>A couple years ago, I configured a D800 notebook w/ high resolution
>>widescreen and had a devil of a time
>> w/ some web pages hard coded to 4:3 aspect ratio. I wonder if the aspect
>> ratio problem has changed?

Before making a final decision, look into units that have DLp technology.
The image from a computer is *vastly* superior on a DLP model versus an LCD.

Bobby

> "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
>> ??? What kind of problems???
>>
>> "Mike" <question@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>A couple years ago, I configured a D800 notebook w/ high resolution
>>>widescreen and had a devil of a time
>>> w/ some web pages hard coded to 4:3 aspect ratio. I wonder if the
>>> aspect ratio problem has changed?
>>

> Before making a final decision, look into units that have DLp technology.
> The image from a computer is *vastly* superior on a DLP model versus an
> LCD.
>
> Bobby

I believe he's talking about a widescreen laptop display, isn't he?

Mike

Splendid

The display is for a PC.

Mike

> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
>>> ??? What kind of problems???
>>>
>>> "Mike" <question@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>

>> Before making a final decision, look into units that have DLp technology.
>> The image from a computer is *vastly* superior on a DLP model versus an
>> LCD.
>>
>> Bobby
>>

> I believe he's talking about a widescreen laptop display, isn't he?

Mike

Splendid

See my post re: problems w/ wide screen notebook display. Tell me your
experiences w/ the 20" wide screen.

Mike

"Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
> ??? What kind of problems???
>
> "Mike" <question@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>A couple years ago, I configured a D800 notebook w/ high resolution
>>widescreen and had a devil of a time
>> w/ some web pages hard coded to 4:3 aspect ratio. I wonder if the aspect
>> ratio problem has changed?

Mike

Splendid

Who knows, it could've been a misconfigured video driver or some sort of
conflict or maybe a bum lcd display. . At work I've been buying 17", 18"
& 19" Dell ultra sharp and non ultra sharp displays for years. They work
fine in a business environment, but I don't know how they work playing DVDs
and displaying photos and high end graphics. I did have very severe
problems with a dell d800 wide screen notebook a couple of years ago.. (see

>I have Dell's UltraSharp 20" wide screen LCD. You didn't list gaming as
>one of the uses. I'm not a gamer either so I can address that point of
>view, but, I do watch DVDs, browse the web, lots of graphic work (photo
>editing) and word processing. LOVE this monitor! I've had no problems
>with it. The only thing I had to do was use it in it's native resolution
>to keep graphics from being horizontally stretched. That made the text too
>small for me to view comfortably. With advice from this group, I increased
>the DPI setting from a default 96 to 113% and changed from small icons to
>large...problem solved. And wait till you try the monitor is portrait
>mode...too cool! Much less scrolling when browsing the web and perfect for
>word processing. Click on the link below to see a picture of the monitor in
>portrait mode. I was one that held out for a long time on going with a
>LCD. All the experts said that it just wasn't there yet for photo editing
>buffs and even the reviews now on this monitor says "for all but the most
>serious of photo editors". Well, I must not be as serious as I thought.
>I'm finding no faults with it for photo editing (or anything else for that
>matter).
> Monica
> http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/image/43798596
>
> "Mike" <question@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Any responses from people who actually own a 20" lcd wide screen display?
>> Like hear of any problems w/ it before my buddy buys one.

Mike

Splendid

Good to hear from you. The user is 67 y/o so I don't think gaming is a big
issue w/ him.
You describe exactly the problem I had w/ a Dell D800 notebook wide screen -
strecthed text and too small text. I mostly
fixed the problem by increasing dpi settings and enabling crystal fonts.
The photo is nice.

Thanks,