In desperate need of help!

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Sorry for the subject, but that's how really I am.

My current config (quite old, I know) is an ASUS P5A-B, K6-2+ 450 with a big HSF (Titan D5TB).

Now, the facts:

- First I achieve 550Mhz at 5.5x100Mhz. Using something near 600Mhz make the computer doesn't boot at all (explained later with more details*).
- Trying to lower multiplier and raising FSB doesn't work. The only way was disable onboard L2 (not CPU L2) to make it run, but IMO it wasn't worth.
- Finally I decided to change the 200W AT PSU, because this could be the problem (12v rail was 11.7 and 5v rail was quite unstable). The new one was 250W ATX PSU.
- To my surprise, at first it doesn't work at all (same as *, described later). After leaving "resting" some hours, I push the power and that time I arrive until it recognises the drives, then stop. That was the same that happens when I went over 100FSB (config at that time: 4x100Mhz)
- Hoping it was just a matter of time, I decided to check it at night. Guess it: no ever boot again (the * efect)

What the hell is *? Well, after pushing the power:

- The fans run (PSU and HSF)
- The leds of CD-RW and CD lights, also are check it (like if they were searching for some CD, get it?)
- NO signal to monitor, I mean, absolutely black.
- HD maybe spins one or two times (checking it's alive?), but then doesn't boot.
- No beeps at all.

Finally say that I change the graphic card, same result. I take out the memory, waiting for some beep, nothing changes.

So, What is happening? Why I have the same efect before but at high clocks and now doesn't work no matter what combination I do?

Any input will be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Note: suggestions about how to suicide are not needed, I made a list last night.

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
All K6-2 CPUs weren’t good for overclocking but particularly bad was the 450! I had one of these and tried to do what you have done in my case I not only blew the CPU but the motherboard as well! Luckily it was only my "play computer" so its destruction was not the end of the world. It seems that the K6-2 450 was at the end of a line of older core revision and was already being run at its limit without overclocking. This is apparent from its relatively high core voltage of 2.4! The 500 which came after it had a reengineered core and was much cooler with a core voltage of only 2.2 this chip had a bit more headroom for overclocking but not by much. I still have one of these which I've managed to overclock to 504mhz
FSB112x4.5 as opposed to 500mhz FSB100x5.0 any higher than this just causes lockups! The 550 is also a good version it uses the same core voltage as the 500 I'm not sure how it overclocks but try and get one (hopefully your motherboard is still ok)?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bronibbear on 01/17/03 03:29 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I have the K6-2<b>+</b> version, so it runs at 2.0 volts. It's also build in 0.18 process. Also I'm using a K7 HSF (Titan D5TB), it's a big aluminium HSF with a 80mm fan! It never becomes warm at all! Also I use artic silver, so IMO it can be a burned CPU ...

About the mobo, I don't know if it's dead. I hope it isn't. I can always check it with a P200MMX that I have laying around, but it seems to me that at least some "beep" or something should occur, just to say "no CPU" or "bad CPU" ... I don't know ...

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
I haven’t come across a K6-2+ yet but have heard they’re better again both in performance and heat dissipation. As far as I know AMD still manufactures them for its note book market. Apparently they only work properly in a few very late model super 7 motherboards that have a special bios update to support them. I'm surprised as I thought they started at 500mhz not 450 I know there was a K6-3 released at 450mhz and it was brilliant but AMD abruptly cut off this line as they wanted to put their resources into the new K7 Athlon/Duron generation.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Yes, I know. The strange thing was that it was running perfectly at 550 (5.5x100Mhz) but now, I don't know for what reason, the system doesn't do (almost) anything. No monitor signal, no way to go even to BIOS. :frown:

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
I guess its just a process of elimination either you've blown the processor the motherboard or both! Try the CPU in a different motherboard and visa versa. Or you may have blown the ram although I think the motherboard would give a warning beep if this was the case?

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
If RAM is not present computers make a "beep" secuence. I know it can be that the mobo has "blown". But it's curios that before I have the same problem but only if I go near 600Mhz. Sound like maybe there are something I've missed, but don't know what.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Have you tried putting your old power supply back in? It could just be something as simple as the new power supply sucks.

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Yes, no matter what PSU I use I doesn't work at all. I don't think both are cracked ... also the fans run, the CD/HD spins, led are on, PSU fan also is working ... Both PSU get the same so, PSU is not the problem IMO.

Any other ideas?

(BTW, thanks for all answer!)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm guessing then that you fried your system.

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Im not sure whether you said but did you clear the CMOS?

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Well, I didn't, but I never though that a "bad" CMOS config could do this ... I'll try and hope it works!

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Well, I clear the CMOS, I change back to the old PSU, I try a minimum installation (just HD, graphic card and even no DIMM lookong for some "beep"), I also put and old pentium processor ... and there is no way to make it run, or make any sound ...

A fried mobo then? No solution? At that moment I don't mind to try to sold or wire something if this can make the board run ... so any wild idea yuo have are welcome!