PC800 ECC RDRAM, verifying compatibility.

All,

On a Dimension 8200, am I correct in assuming that I can mix PC800 ECC and
non-ECC and that only the ECC function will be lost?

Support.dell.com shows only non-ECC supported, and I'm wondering if the
system will take it at all:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/specs.htm#1101572

However, 4allmemory.com lists ECC PC800 as a possible option:

http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.memorySearch&model_id=24927

The support pages are no help regarding any BIOS/ECC memory on/off settings,
and I just plain can't remember....

Anyone ever installed ECC RDRAM into an 8200?

Thanks,

Stew
(Looking for a cheaper upgrade for someone else. $120+ for 256mb upgrade? I
think not.......)

Stew,

On the 8200, yes you can mix ECC and non-ECC PC800 Rambus memory. Been there
and done that. The ECC operates as non-ECC.

Precisions are far more precise with Rambus. ECC only.

And of course, the Rambus does not have to be Dell-branded. All Rambus is
generic, with Dell, Gateway, IBM, Compaq or other stickers to make you feel like
you are getting something VERY special.

I have also mixed Rambus from different manufacturers (i.e. Samsung, Infineion,
Toshiba, NEC) as long as the speed grade, number of chips per RIMM and parity
(ECC vs. non-ECC) match... Ben Myers

> Stew,
>
> On the 8200, yes you can mix ECC and non-ECC PC800 Rambus memory. Been
> there
> and done that. The ECC operates as non-ECC.
>
> Precisions are far more precise with Rambus. ECC only.
>
> And of course, the Rambus does not have to be Dell-branded. All Rambus is
> generic, with Dell, Gateway, IBM, Compaq or other stickers to make you
> feel like
> you are getting something VERY special.
>
> I have also mixed Rambus from different manufacturers (i.e. Samsung,
> Infineion,
> Toshiba, NEC) as long as the speed grade, number of chips per RIMM and
> parity
> (ECC vs. non-ECC) match... Ben Myers

<snip>

Ben,

Thank you, sir. I wasn't worried about the branding mix so much (as I have
seen them mixed), but rather about actually using ECC RIMMs in the 8200,
which you've now confirmed for me - and I appreciate that.

Not concerned at all about losing the ECC function, which I would expect.

I've got my eye on a pair (PC800 ECC) over on ebay that I'll snag if no one
gets trigger happy near auction close.

Thanks again for the verification.

Stew

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in

> Stew,
>
> On the 8200, yes you can mix ECC and non-ECC PC800 Rambus memory.
> Been there and done that. The ECC operates as non-ECC.
>
> Precisions are far more precise with Rambus. ECC only.

How does one tell the difference, aside from sticking it in the system
and seeing if it works ? Is there a way to tell from the numbers whether
it's ECC or Non-ECC ? I can't count the chips, they're behind a metal
shield.

I've got a 1.7 ghz Dimension 8100 and a 1.8 ghz Optiplex GX400 (Which
appear to be identical motherboards, just different plastic on the
cases).

Bios just tells me I have "512MB RDRAM", doesn't mention ECC or non-ECC.

BTW - If anyone's junking a 8100 or GX400, I need the green plastic fan
shrouds for both my machines.

<FM>

Fred,

Manufacturers' part numbers are often difficult to decode. For example, Samsung
RIMMs contain either a 16 or an 18 soemwhere in the middle of the part number to
denote non-ECC or ECC, respectively. Most of the time, the OEM label designates
the RIMM as ECC, and it is moot for a non-ECC part.

By examining the reverse side of a RIMM, you can also count the number of chips
by their outlines. The number of chips on a RIMM is also incorporated into the
manufacturers' part numbers, usually as a suffix. You cannot mix RIMMs of the
same capacity in the same bank if they have different numbers of chips, e.g.
128/8 and 128/4... Ben Myers