renaming folders

Is the renaming any folders completely safe for folders content?
Does renaming will not affect on files structure inside the folder or
something else?
5 answers Last reply
More about renaming folders

    If you're referring to personal folders that contain your files and
    nothing else, this should be safe. However, if the folders are shared
    so that remote users can see and/or edit the contents, the share will
    be lost when you rename them. Additionaly, any applications that you've
    explicitly told to look in those locations will be unable to do so
    after you rename them.

    As for application folders (C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Office\Office\Library, etc), if you rename then, some functionality of
    the application will most likely be lost until you reset the names.

    HTH
    Jav

    Renaming folders will not affect the contents as long as they are folders YOU
    created. The main problem you will encounter is the apps that use those
    folders for they will not find (path) to those folders for they have different
    names. It could cause a lot of editing. Personal folders/files such as
    photos,
    documents and graphics can be renamed safely as long as you know their
    new names.
    --
    XP-WNP
    Today is the first day of the

    "TANDEX" wrote:

    > Is the renaming any folders completely safe for folders content?
    > Does renaming will not affect on files structure inside the folder or
    > something else?

    a safe way to test whether you will cause a problem is to first do a
    rename by just adding a qq infront of the name. this way you can't
    forget the original name, especially if it had spaces or whatever in
    the spelling.

    then reboot and try to run all your stuff

    cheers

    javelin wrote:

    > If you're referring to personal folders that contain your files and
    > nothing else, this should be safe. However, if the folders are shared
    > so that remote users can see and/or edit the contents, the share will
    > be lost when you rename them. Additionaly, any applications that you've
    > explicitly told to look in those locations will be unable to do so
    > after you rename them.
    >
    > As for application folders (C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    > Office\Office\Library, etc), if you rename then, some functionality of
    > the application will most likely be lost until you reset the names.
    >
    > HTH
    > Jav

    Yes, I mean personal folders I created, with my content , not system
    folders.

    thanks

    ryES i MEANT
    "javelin" <google.1.jvmail@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    > If you're referring to personal folders that contain your files and
    > nothing else, this should be safe. However, if the folders are shared
    > so that remote users can see and/or edit the contents, the share will
    > be lost when you rename them. Additionaly, any applications that you've
    > explicitly told to look in those locations will be unable to do so
    > after you rename them.
    >
    > As for application folders (C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    > Office\Office\Library, etc), if you rename then, some functionality of
    > the application will most likely be lost until you reset the names.
    >
    > HTH
    > Jav

    Renaming my own folders with my media files will not affect this data
    anyway?

    thanks

    "otis" <otisspamblotisno@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >a safe way to test whether you will cause a problem is to first do a rename
    >by just adding a qq infront of the name. this way you can't forget the
    >original name, especially if it had spaces or whatever in the spelling.
    >
    > then reboot and try to run all your stuff
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > javelin wrote:
    >
    >> If you're referring to personal folders that contain your files and
    >> nothing else, this should be safe. However, if the folders are shared
    >> so that remote users can see and/or edit the contents, the share will
    >> be lost when you rename them. Additionaly, any applications that you've
    >> explicitly told to look in those locations will be unable to do so
    >> after you rename them.
    >>
    >> As for application folders (C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    >> Office\Office\Library, etc), if you rename then, some functionality of
    >> the application will most likely be lost until you reset the names.
    >>
    >> HTH Jav

Microsoft Windows XP