Ultrabrite LCD Screens

Scott

My wife is considering a Gateway 320 notebook, which can be configured with
an ultrabrite screen. We checked out a GW notebook and other notebooks at
Best Buy. Most of them had the ultrabrite screen. I'll admit that colors are
richer and more lifelike, but the glare bothers me. My wife says she doesn't
mind that...she likes the brighter, crisper screen. Does anyone know if the
ultrabrite screen makes the viewer more prone to eye fatigue than a standard
screen...and how bad is the glare, say, on the kitchen table at home with
an overhead ceiling light?

Thanks!
Scott

I have a 9300 with antiglare screen. But my friend just bought an
ultrabrite. From looking at it (I forgot abut the glare after a little
while) and from all the reviews from users we read, no question there is a
lot more glare. But most people seem to agree that the benefits outweigh the
glare. (I'm not sure about eye strain, since I haven't used her machine long
enough. A couple of hours trying to set up the wireless). The 15.4" screen
really is beautiful and crisp (Regular-sized photos get distorted though,
especially on the desktop. I don't know if there is a way around that). And
it IS a laptop. So you always can move it if the glare is too much. But it
really is a decision that no one can make for you. My friend got hers at
Office Depot, which gave her a no-questions asked or restocking fee return
option for about a week, I think. Maybe you can take it home (the only
regret she has is no RCA or S-video in or out)

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> My wife is considering a Gateway 320 notebook, which can be configured
with
> an ultrabrite screen. We checked out a GW notebook and other notebooks at
> Best Buy. Most of them had the ultrabrite screen. I'll admit that colors
are
> richer and more lifelike, but the glare bothers me. My wife says she
doesn't
> mind that...she likes the brighter, crisper screen. Does anyone know if
the
> ultrabrite screen makes the viewer more prone to eye fatigue than a
standard
> screen...and how bad is the glare, say, on the kitchen table at home with
> an overhead ceiling light?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Scott

Anthony Giorgianni wrote:

> I have a 9300 with antiglare screen. But my friend just bought an
> ultrabrite. From looking at it (I forgot abut the glare after a little
> while) and from all the reviews from users we read, no question there is a
> lot more glare. But most people seem to agree that the benefits outweigh the
> glare. (I'm not sure about eye strain, since I haven't used her machine long
> enough. A couple of hours trying to set up the wireless). The 15.4" screen
> really is beautiful and crisp (Regular-sized photos get distorted though,
> especially on the desktop. I don't know if there is a way around that). And
> it IS a laptop. So you always can move it if the glare is too much. But it
> really is a decision that no one can make for you. My friend got hers at
> Office Depot, which gave her a no-questions asked or restocking fee return
> option for about a week, I think. Maybe you can take it home (the only
> regret she has is no RCA or S-video in or out)
>
> --
> Regards,
> Anthony Giorgianni
>
> The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
> to the newsgroup.
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > My wife is considering a Gateway 320 notebook, which can be configured
> with
> > an ultrabrite screen. We checked out a GW notebook and other notebooks at
> > Best Buy. Most of them had the ultrabrite screen. I'll admit that colors
> are
> > richer and more lifelike, but the glare bothers me. My wife says she
> doesn't
> > mind that...she likes the brighter, crisper screen. Does anyone know if
> the
> > ultrabrite screen makes the viewer more prone to eye fatigue than a
> standard
> > screen...and how bad is the glare, say, on the kitchen table at home with
> > an overhead ceiling light?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott

Anthony,

After using it for a week, both my wife and I love the ultrabrite screen. Yes,
we noticed the glare at first...but after a short while, we focus on the info
on the screen, and we don't notice the glare any more. Images and photos look
really fabulous and lifelike on this screen.

Scott

Excellent Scott. Thanks for reporting back with your experience and best of
luck with your new machine!! I'm jealous.

--

> After using it for a week, both my wife and I love the ultrabrite screen.
Yes,
> we noticed the glare at first...but after a short while, we focus on the
info
> on the screen, and we don't notice the glare any more. Images and photos
look
> really fabulous and lifelike on this screen.
>
> Scott

Scott

Anthony,

You're welcome! I find myself using my wife's ultrabrite whenever possible,
because when I sit out on our deck (under a big umbrella, but plenty of
bright sunlight around), her screen is very bright and readable...whereas my
notebook with a conventional screen is washed out, so I have to wait for some
clouds or evening to use it on the deck. That's how much better the ultrabite
screen is. It's fabulous!!

Scott

Anthony Giorgianni wrote:

> Excellent Scott. Thanks for reporting back with your experience and best of
> luck with your new machine!! I'm jealous.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Anthony Giorgianni
>
> The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
> to the newsgroup.
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> >
> > After using it for a week, both my wife and I love the ultrabrite screen.
> Yes,
> > we noticed the glare at first...but after a short while, we focus on the
> info
> > on the screen, and we don't notice the glare any more. Images and photos
> look
> > really fabulous and lifelike on this screen.
> >
> > Scott

Glad you posted that, Scott

That is surprising. You would thing the ultrabrite screen would be worse
outside. Since I work at home next to my deck, being able to use a laptop
outside has long been my fantasy. I'm getting me one of those next.